Chit Chat

weirdest experience ever

I need to talk to someone about something that happened last night and I think this might be the only place to discuss it.

So fiancée and I were supposed to get married last summer but that got torched so we are getting married this summer but we are doing it nice-nice venue in Boston, nice food, open bar, small and nice flowers. I have always wanted Winston flowers at my wedding so I am paying for them-I will go without food to pay for it. I work in insurance and fiancée is an attorney at the same place-yep we went fishing off the company pier. 

Anyway, I have this “friend” who I met through another person.  She is okay but VERY quirky. She is getting married in November-she works for the state of Mass and her fiancée is a contractor.

She called me yesterday and asked if I had plans last night. I didn’t (fiancée was at a friends house watching hockey) so we decided to meet for dinner at Fridays. So I go there and walk in-sit at the bar and wait for her. And I wait…and wait. Finally, she comes in shivering and says “I was waiting outside for you.”  I asked why she didn’t come in and she said “ladies don’t sit at bars by themselves”.  Yeah she said that-she is 32.  Anyway, I ordered another beer and she commented that I shouldn’t drink if I was driving.  The rest of the evening went just like that-it was weird. Almost like she was telling me how to act. She made a snide comment about fiancée and I living together, etc …So why the detail? Here’s why.  For Valentine’s Day, fiancée gave me a dozen red roses that were gorgeous and went out to dinner.  Last night this friend proceeded to tell me that she called my fiancée and told him that Winston flowers are too expensive and I didn’t want them anymore. I was shocked. And fiancée did confirm she said it but he laughed at her. Yeah! 

I don’t get this person. I pretty much left after she said that. I guess she can’t afford what we are doing but we decided to do something small but make it nice. We don’t need a huge wedding but we want it nice.

I'm really disturbed by what happened. Sorry for the long post. 

Re: weirdest experience ever

• Sounds like it’s past time you hang out with this person. Super weird she called your FI and made comments about your plans. If it were me I’d stop sharing anything about the wedding and limit plans with her (also it’s a pandemic how are y’all going out this many places?!). 
  • some places are open
  • Definitely sounds like a strange dinner. I agree with Charlotte, if you want to continue this friendship, stop talking to her about wedding plans. 

Were you close to her before? How did she have your FI's number?
  • No one needs this kind of drama. I'd back away from this friendship.
  • How does she have your work number?! This is super weird. 

Also, we're still in a pandemic. 
  • I hope you called her out in the moment.  Like, "Excuse me?  Why are you calling (fiance name), at work no less, and then telling him something I never said?"  Though I realize it's easier to know what to say/how to act after the fact, as opposed to in the moment.

If this is more a casual friend, I'd be backing away.  Calling someone, just to be negative about their floral vendor, is bad enough.  But acting like they are speaking for you is a whole other level.  Many other levels. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker