Wedding Woes

Blerg, Tuesday.

Went to bed way too late last night.  FIL came to dinner and then DH pulled up the carpet in the living room.  It's so echo-y in our kitchen/living room area now. 

It's going to be 60+ degrees and sunny today.  Need to enjoy it while it lasts since it's not going to last for long. 

I've got nothing else because...Tuesday. 

Re: Blerg, Tuesday.

• That's some hard sleeping @charlotte989875 

All the coffee for you. 
  • @mrsconn23 I remember an old house we my parents went from carpet to hardwood, the echo was so weird!

@charlotte989875 did you sleep well at least? lol jeez

Debating on going out at lunch to the store about BK's boots, and maybe a couple other things. At least if there is no boots, I can go to a different store tomorrow.
    I need mascara and I kind of want a new nail polish? I saw Essie's "Watermelon" and really thinking about it now lol

I had BK try on her splash suit last night and made the friggen mistake of calling it "like a space suit" and then she wouldn't take it off for awhile lol
  • Also I finally got my airfryer to roast my veggies to crispy goodness but unfortunately they shrunk a.f .... so at M's request, I'm reducing the time so they aren't so tiny lmao
  • It's such a Tuesday kind of Tuesday. I woke up in the middle of the night and didn't fall back asleep until after 6, so then I overslept when the alarm went off. My boss is being snippy. I know she's stressed about turnover, but damn. And my computer is being glitchy. 

It's a very FWP kind of day. I'm ready for 5:00. 
  • @CharmedPam ooh that sounds good! I usually do basic. Oil & garlic powder then in air fryer. The recipe says like 8min but I did 15min. M is requesting like 12min lmao!

dead. Fauci Ouchie!
  • Ugh Second Monday. 

I watched the Oprah interview last night and just WOW. I feel so awful for MM and Harry. 
  • @mrsconn23 I remember an old house we my parents went from carpet to hardwood, the echo was so weird!

Debating on going out at lunch to the store about BK's boots, and maybe a couple other things. At least if there is no boots, I can go to a different store tomorrow.
    I need mascara and I kind of want a new nail polish? I saw Essie's "Watermelon" and really thinking about it now lol

I had BK try on her splash suit last night and made the friggen mistake of calling it "like a space suit" and then she wouldn't take it off for awhile lol
    I love Essie Watermelon! My go to summer color. 
  • I watched the Oprah interview last night and just WOW. I feel so awful for MM and Harry. 
    Right?!  Plus now her dad and dumbass sister are flapping their jaws all over the British shows like they're 'insiders' even though it's clear that MM has cut them the hell off.  Also, her dad made some comment about the 'how dark will Archie be?' bs and of course he's like, "Oh I'm sure they weren't being racist...maybe it was misunderstood or they just didn't say it right?"  Um, no?  It was racist.  

It made me think of my friend who's half-Mexican and her dad is white.  He's the same kind of terrible in that way.  They don't have much of a relationship either.  
  • ((hugs)) @ei34.  Good luck and I hope STBX can not be a complete ass through the process.  Also, as soon as you can, do something for yourself for taking this massive step. 
  • ei34 said:
    Hope the day has turned around (at least as far as clarity) @charlotte989875!
    Yay for your parents’ vaccines @CharmedPam

It was way overdue but I finally filed for divorce last week. It took everything I had because I knew H wouldn’t react well (he’s not) but I’m glad at least the wheels are in motion.  I’ve been beyond stressed but I get a sense of calm and hope when I think about it being finalized (however long it takes).  Just trying to keep the kids’ lives as steady and consistent at this point.  
    Woah @ei34 I had no idea! How are the kids doing? How are you?? It’s good you have your family close by!
  • It's in the 50-60's this week and we will take it! My almost 5 year old in learning to ride her bike. Still working on the concept of stopping not falling. Lol. My dad lost his job a few weeks ago. He is in pretty good spirits and on the bright side has had much more time. He is stopping by for dinner tonight. We are ordering pizza.

So sorry to hear @ei34 I can't imagine that was easy. Wishing you strength.

nails or toes?
    Toes my go to is China Glaze which I obv cannot find but it's like a neon orange {might be 'knock out' - don't have it on hand}

I kinda want another as an option and Watermelon feels like it could be nails and toes
  • I stayed out too late last night...8:30.  Such a partier.  

There's more work drama.  B/c of what I do, I really needed a private office.  So I have one now.  I've now had a comment made to my face about it.  I'm so tired of the inter-office drama centered around me...still, even though I've given up the position I put literally hundreds of hours into creating for someone who isn't half as good as I am to take it over.  I'm really emotionally drained and I still have quite a journey on my hands.  I'm hoping this chapter of my life closes off soon.

SSDD otherwise.  I'm kind of talking to someone; she's artsy, smart, gorgeous, and interesting.  And probably moving in the fall.  And I'm just not there?  IDK, maybe she ends up being a fun friend and that'll be nice too.
  • @ei34 sending you all the love and good vibes 

mrsconn23 said:
    I watched the Oprah interview last night and just WOW. I feel so awful for MM and Harry. 
    Right?!  Plus now her dad and dumbass sister are flapping their jaws all over the British shows like they're 'insiders' even though it's clear that MM has cut them the hell off.  Also, her dad made some comment about the 'how dark will Archie be?' bs and of course he's like, "Oh I'm sure they weren't being racist...maybe it was misunderstood or they just didn't say it right?"  Um, no?  It was racist.  

It made me think of my friend who's half-Mexican and her dad is white.  He's the same kind of terrible in that way.  They don't have much of a relationship either.  
    Ugh, I saw a news alert about her dad. What a scumbag. She even said in the interview that she "lost" her dad. They don't speak. WTF are you giving interviews!? I'm so mad for her. Truly. 
  • I was rattled by an upsetting phone call yesterday.  It was from two of my highest maintenance tenants who insist there are electrical problems in their home.  Though they are dream tenants with paying rent, so I try to keep them happy.  Monumental feat, though that is, lol  I've had an electrician out there multiple times.  He tweaked things a little and rebalanced the loads.  But the biggest electrical problem is them.  They keep overloading the circuits.  And I am getting really sick and really tired of being the "villain".

First they called my H and, right off the bat, they are screaming at him.  He can barely even understand them, but says he will be out the next day (today).  Then they call me highly irate, but not screaming so I do understand them, and tell me they were preparing bulk food for the week...and only had their air fryer and rice cooker plugged in...when everything blew out and now their air fryer and rice cooker aren't working at all, even plugged into another outlet.  They kept stressing that was "all" they were using.

They also said their microwave was blown out and not working anymore.  They also told me they just realized their fridge is out and it won't turn back on, so now they are worrying about losing hundreds of dollars in food.  And they bet the stove is going to be next (whatever).

The microwave was the hint.  Did you all have the microwave on also?  Yeah.  Well, there ya go.  Come to find out later from my H, they also have a mini fridge on that same circuit.  Most kitchens have three circuits tied to them.  One for the main fridge.  One for the stove.  And one for everything else, ie small appliances.  It's a 20 amp circuit.  Microwaves (9-15 amps) and air fryers (10 amps) are heavy users of the amps available.  So, yeah.  Like always.  They're overloading a circuit.  They were trying to use about 30 amps from a 20 amp circuit.  I understand the average person doesn't know these things, but it's still frustrating to be blamed for something that isn't my fault. 

But I was concerned about the fridge and I was also concerned about the small appliances supposedly being fried out.  That's not what losing power does.  "Frying out" an electronic item comes from a power surge.  Not a sudden loss of power.  Because of the fridge, I want my H to go over there right then.  He calls them back to arrange that.  Except now the main fridge is working just fine.  Only a few minutes had elapsed, so weren't not sure why they thought it wasn't and were probably mistaken about it.  Which then brings me to wonder if their small appliances are working just fine also.

At any rate, we have a totally different electrical company coming out today to check everything over and my H will be there also.  To the tune of $250, smh.  TBH, if it wasn't for them saying the smaller appliances weren't working, I wouldn't have even done that.  Maybe if a SECOND electrician tells them that the electrical is fine.  But you can't have more than 20 amps on each circuit.  They will finally believe it.  But I am not holding my breath.

Sorry for the long story.  It was just really aggravating after the already aggravating day that yesterday was.

--------------------------------

But on to the one thing I am looking forward to today.  I have a restaurant shop after work to a cheap, but good, steak place.  My H and I haven't been out to a restaurant since mid November...wow, I can't believe it's been that long!...we can both use a chance to relax and have some good food.  We weren't comfortable dining in at a restaurant again, until after the holidays and after infection rates had died down again.  Bonus points I'll get reimbursed for all/most of the bill, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34 said:

It was way overdue but I finally filed for divorce last week. It took everything I had because I knew H wouldn’t react well (he’s not) but I’m glad at least the wheels are in motion.  I’ve been beyond stressed but I get a sense of calm and hope when I think about it being finalized (however long it takes).  Just trying to keep the kids’ lives as steady and consistent at this point.  
    I'm sorry to hear there were such heavy problems in your marriage!  But I'm glad you filed for divorce since that is what you need.  I hope it goes as smoothly as possible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

nails or toes?
    Toes my go to is China Glaze which I obv cannot find but it's like a neon orange {might be 'knock out' - don't have it on hand}

I kinda want another as an option and Watermelon feels like it could be nails and toes
    Both!
  • ei34 said:

Best of luck to you and your kids.
  • @short+sassy is there anything in the lease that you can put in saying, "Should your use of the electrical power require servicing deemed to be your fault, the bill will be added to next month's rent."? 

When I accidently let something fall into my toilet 15 years ago I had to pay for the plumber.  It was my fault and I owned that it wasn't my landlord that should pay for it. 

@ei34 I had no idea and I'm sorry.  
  • Also, @short+sassy I find it really hard to believe that those tenants don't understand the finer details of overloading a circuit.  Maybe it's because I'm an electrician's daughter who hung out with (and married) an engineer but it was a basic understanding that I had as a kid and that was further exacerbated in college when in the ENGINEERING DORM we had to yell down the hall to make sure that two rooms weren't trying to use their own microwaves at the same time because it would trip the breaker and that would seriously piss off a lot of engineering majors who were either programming or gaming.   Ultimately the university upgraded the circuits because for the tuition amount it was ABSURD that you should have to check with people not in your room (these weren't suites.  They were separate rooms) to make sure that you could have some popcorn or ramen at the same time as someone else. 

Later when I started dating DH and he bought the condo he upgraded the upstairs outlets so I could blow dry my hair while he and his roommate at the time could be on their computers (desktops) while running window unit A/Cs.  If it happens more than once when you're using those extra appliances STOP DOING IT. 
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2021
    @ei34, I'm so sorry to hear that it was necessary, but I'm so happy that you're doing the best thing for yourself and your children. Life is too short to stay in a bad relationship. 
  • @ei34 oh jeez, sorry to hear. Hopefully everything is smooth process

@short+sassy I have an airfryer and I'm always anxious because the plug is the same as microwave, but M keeps assuring that I'm not using at same time so it's not going to fuck anything up.

@banana468 *raises hand* also electrician's daughter! :) 
  • banana468 said:
    @short+sassy is there anything in the lease that you can put in saying, "Should your use of the electrical power require servicing deemed to be your fault, the bill will be added to next month's rent."? 

When I accidently let something fall into my toilet 15 years ago I had to pay for the plumber.  It was my fault and I owned that it wasn't my landlord that should pay for it. 

I have something like that for plumbing and pest control, but not other maintenance issues.

With that said, it doesn't have to be in a lease for me to tell them something like (if it comes up again), "I have already had two different electricians verify there is nothing wrong with the electricity for this house.  I'll call another one if you want me to but, if they don't find anything different, you all need to pay for the service call."

I will always have my H go look at things for no additional charge.  The majority of the time he can fix it or at least eliminate the easier answers we could fix ourselves, before having a "pro service" come out.

Generally speaking, overloading the circuits even doing it repeatedly, doesn't damage the electrical system.  We've explained the basics of what is happening and shown them how to flip the circuit breaker back and none of that is dangerous or a big deal, they're still absolutely convinced something is wrong with the electricity.

I still don't get it.  I am only a "Level 1" for being mechanically inclined and was a "Level 0" when I was their age, lol.  But on the rare occasion I've overloaded a circuit, I say, "Whoops!!!!"  Unplug stuff.  Plug them back into different outlets (though multiple outlets can be on the same circuit).  Done, fixed.  NBD.  And I don't make the same mistake again.  I just did that at work a couple months ago.  And my battery backup box thing announced it to the room with loud beeping, until I fixed it, lol.

Heck, in our own kitchen, my H and I have to be careful not to turn the microwave and air fryer on at the same time, lol.  We've popped the circuit a few times ourselves doing that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • *hugs* @ei34

@short+sassy that’s so annoying. It’s not even hard to go flip back the breaker if you overload it. Every once in a blue moon I forget and accidentally overload one of our circuits. Its usually in winter when I dramatically feel like I’m freezing to death and have a space heater plugged in. It’s a “d’oh” moment and then I have unplug stuff and go outside to flip the breaker. Or make FI go do that, lol. I would definitely put that in a clause to your tenants like banana suggested. 

The past few weeks have been crazy. Poor FI was told he needs another four weeks for recovery. Which means no BCBC either, boo. But yesterday he was able to get his first dose of the COVID vaccine because we had a vial with an extra dose in it. Otherwise SSDD. Preparing for a rain storm here and hoping it holds off until I finish a hike tonight. Then it’s supposed to rain for the rest of the week. 

• levioosa said:

@short+sassy that’s so annoying. It’s not even hard to go flip back the breaker if you overload it. Every once in a blue moon I forget and accidentally overload one of our circuits. Its usually in winter when I dramatically feel like I’m freezing to death and have a space heater plugged in. It’s a “d’oh” moment and then I have unplug stuff and go outside to flip the breaker. Or make FI go do that, lol. I would definitely put that in a clause to your tenants like banana suggested. 
    My thoughts too.  I overload more than I like to admit.  Especially when people visit me.  “Do you really think we can make toast and run the dishwasher AT THE SAME TIME?”
    annoying yes. End of the world? No.

• banana468 said:
    @short+sassy is there anything in the lease that you can put in saying, "Should your use of the electrical power require servicing deemed to be your fault, the bill will be added to next month's rent."? 

I have something like that for plumbing and pest control, but not other maintenance issues.

With that said, it doesn't have to be in a lease for me to tell them something like (if it comes up again), "I have already had two different electricians verify there is nothing wrong with the electricity for this house.  I'll call another one if you want me to but, if they don't find anything different, you all need to pay for the service call."

I will always have my H go look at things for no additional charge.  The majority of the time he can fix it or at least eliminate the easier answers we could fix ourselves, before having a "pro service" come out.

Generally speaking, overloading the circuits even doing it repeatedly, doesn't damage the electrical system.  We've explained the basics of what is happening and shown them how to flip the circuit breaker back and none of that is dangerous or a big deal, they're still absolutely convinced something is wrong with the electricity.

Your electrician will need to tell them this too when he's there.  My experience with most electricians and those like them is that they aren't shy about telling you, "The problem exists with the user." 

The gripes that I have seen are when a desktop computer shuts off unexpectedly and programming or a game wasn't auto saved.  It didn't ruin the devices but it did ruin the afternoon.