Wedding Woes
Options

Family 'drama' Thursday.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited March 2021 in Wedding Woes
There are members of DH's family that are on one.  As I've talked about, DH's stepgrandma started planning a family trip in 2019 for 2020 for as much family as possible to go to the Ozarks that she was paying for out of the family trust that was set up by DH's grandpa and she took over when he died. We scuttled last year's plans because of Covid and planned it for this coming June.  We've known for a few months that there has been some drop-off from certain family for one reason or another, but it was still full steam ahead for the people who still planned to go. 

Last night, DH called his uncle to ask him a flooring question and to BS in general.   In the conversation, DH said something to him about the Ozarks.  This is an uncle that's not going and he's been negative about the trip for his reasons (some I understand, others I do not).  So he tells DH, "Oh Ozarks has been canceled."  He said it was because stepgrandma wrote $$$ checks to all the kids around Christmas out of the trust.  DH is like, "WTF? No one told me. I had to get our national office to move my audit to accommodate this trip." He finishes the conversation and calls his other uncle, who's been the 'coordinator' of this trip along with his wife.  He assured DH that it was still on and he had no idea what other uncle was talking about.  He even told DH he'd just talked to stepgrandma to finalize boat and jetski rentals. 

This isn't new behavior from his family, but it's so obnoxious when it reaches this scale.  Also, his uncle either straight up lied or heard what he wanted to from a conversation and ran with it (these uncles and stepgrandma all live in the same town).  Anyway, glad it wasn't canceled. I was going to be spending today finding somewhere else to go that week, LOL. 

We got our flooring yesterday.  I also found my debit card's daily spending limit, ha.  We had moved the flooring boxes into the garage and then DH's uncle was like, "Um put that shit in the house."  Which should have been intuitive.  But moving 30 boxes that weighed over 30lbs, twice, was a workout.  My arms are feeling it today. 

Prudie has a couple pretty spectacularly un-self-aware LW's today.  Love it. 

Re: Family 'drama' Thursday.

• Options
    @mrsconn23 that sounds like more headache than it's worth. Glad your H called someone else to confirm :\ What is there Ozarks?

@Casadena is your parents local or are you going somewhere? Regardless it'll be a nice little trip :)

Not a whole lot happening. I have to rework meal plan for this week, and toss in next 2 weeks also.
    Also set up grocery pick up.

I have kind of a headache :( Coffee this morning didn't help, hopefully water does.
  • Options
    Family stuff is a pain.

DH's cousin sent her nonvitation to her wedding in May that literally invited us to the ceremony, included a menu selection card and also had an enclosure that said, "We regret that only immediate family and bridal party can be included." I WTFd that to my ILs pretty hardcore.   Now the state is lifting restrictions but there's no word on the invitation changing.  I'm not sure what gives. 

I am tired.  I had insomnia for a half hour and need to push through today.  Tomorrow begins clean up since we're hosting for MIL's birthday Saturday night.  
  • Options
    @banana468 wtf, that is so obnoxious

@MissKittyDanger my parents are about 4 hours away in my hometown.  Hard to to in a weekend, so we're going to stay all week since my mom will be off work!  Also, wanted to send you to https://sprout-kids.com/products/low-montessori-floor-bed-for-toddlers.  I see this bed highly recommended on Montessori blogs all the time.  It's cheaper than the one you linked, fits a twin, and the frame flips over eventually to get kiddos a little higher off the ground.  May be a good option for you!
  • Options
    @Casadena there was some agreement with the ILs that it was obnoxious.  FIL said, "Well they don't want to wait to long to start a family," and my response was, "Then save the stamp and don't mail the invitation to us.  We understand when we aren't invited.  This is complete BS and makes no sense."

I wouldn't care except the MOB was also quick to judge DH and me for waiting a whole 5 mos to baptize Chiquita because  1) we'd just moved and 2) her godparents were flying in and the winter was full of storms and I didn't want to schedule something only to have proxy stand-ins.  We were told through FIL that "The Devil is going to get her." 
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger, Ozarks in Missouri.  It's a massive lake system that has a ton of vacations homes and resorts. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    @MissKittyDanger, Ozarks in Missouri.  It's a massive lake system that has a ton of vacations homes and resorts. 
    Also, a fantastic show. But omg, @mrsconn23, talk about miscommunication. Maybe call G’ma to get the real scoop

@banana468, am I reading right?  Invite to ceremony only and then you gotta leave and figure out your own way to celebrate afterwards? Hells to the no.

Nothing new with me.  SSDD.  Cramps like a MF, so that’s fun. 

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Also, a fantastic show. But omg, @mrsconn23, talk about miscommunication. Maybe call G’ma to get the real scoop

@banana468, am I reading right?  Invite to ceremony only and then you gotta leave and figure out your own way to celebrate afterwards? Hells to the no.

Nothing new with me.  SSDD.  Cramps like a MF, so that’s fun. 
    You read right.  It's a ceremony only invitation as of now. 

And believe me I "get" it.  Covid has done a number on plans.  Hell, when we got the invitation we didn't think DH or I would have been vaccinated by the time the ceremony rolls around.   It's also not to the kids which is FINE but it adds another layer figuring out if we try to just take them to the ceremony or if DH just goes with his parents.  We are leaning more towards DH going with his parents to the ceremony and back. 

We love the cousin and want to support her and know she's one of many dealt a raw deal due to Covid.  But we think that the entire situation could have been handled better. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Final season Part 1 is March 27th!  EEE!

DH was going to call her if he didn't get ahold of other uncle.  However, she literally told other uncle to plan it and she's just bank-rolling it.  She didn't want to plan it.  So he is the direct source for this trip.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    @Casadena there was some agreement with the ILs that it was obnoxious.  FIL said, "Well they don't want to wait to long to start a family," and my response was, "Then save the stamp and don't mail the invitation to us.  We understand when we aren't invited.  This is complete BS and makes no sense."

I wouldn't care except the MOB was also quick to judge DH and me for waiting a whole 5 mos to baptize Chiquita because  1) we'd just moved and 2) her godparents were flying in and the winter was full of storms and I didn't want to schedule something only to have proxy stand-ins.  We were told through FIL that "The Devil is going to get her." 

SIB: That's so frustrating.  My mom was a little salty about that same thing when G was born that we were pretty open to waiting until summertime to baptize.  We wanted my sister to be the Godmother and she lives overseas...plus it was the middle of winter.  We ended up doing it when he was about 4 weeks old because timing happened to work out with everyone.  
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 do you think gma wrote a check to those who opted not to attend? Otherwise seems strange to make up receiving a check 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    @mrsconn23 do you think gma wrote a check to those who opted not to attend? Otherwise seems strange to make up receiving a check 
    Oh no, the checks were sent out to FIL and his siblings at the end of last year.  (That was a whole other drama that I have a lot of opinions about, as does DH.  The hang-ups about money on that side of the family are utterly ridic.) 

DH's uncle said that was the reason Ozarks was canceled was because of those checks being sent out.  He claimed that it was the 'Ozarks' money.  

DH and I didn't care if Ozarks was canceled because of the lack of interest and/or this whole check thing.  The communication piece was upsetting because we were planning on going and DH had made some pretty significant work rearrangements to go.  And also SIL/BIL are coming up from GA, plus their friends that live close the Ozarks are planning to meet us there (renting their own place).  So it was just shocking that 3 months out, we thought the rug was being pulled without us having any clue. 
  • Options
    @Casadena ooh I like it!! I have to show M :)
  • Options
    So we're semi-nearing the end of our end of our stash of hand me down clothes. I'm trying to plan out what we need. I'm checking out BK's next size up clothing to know what we have and what we will need.

I also have next summer stuff in my Old Navy cart lmao
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    And moi!  Let me know when you guys are coming; depending on where you are it's not a long drive.  I might also be able to get you some recommendations, though I'm not about the lake life around here.  Put me in a kayak on one of the rivers!!