Wedding Woes

Even without the pandemic, this is normal.

Dear Prudence,

My daughter is now almost 4 and will be 4-and-a-half by the time our second child will be born later this year. She is excited for the new baby boy and often kisses my belly and says “hello.” Due to the pandemic, I’ve had to transition to working remotely, so I’ve spent a great deal of time with my daughter at home. She has gotten very attached and used to me being there all the time. Oftentimes she will get jealous and will not allow me to talk to others or even go to the store alone. She wants me all to herself. Is this a sign of her feeling that someone new will come into “her” territory and she is becoming possessive of me and envious of this unborn baby, or is this a phase that too shall pass?

—Worried Mother of Two

Re: Even without the pandemic, this is normal.

• I mean, our dog is doing this too, so IDK, I hope it passes? 
  • So many kids have gotten like this during the pandemic.
  • Kids go through clingy phases all the time! 
  • banana468 said:
    Kids go through clingy phases all the time! 
    We had 2 meltdowns yesterday because I left the room for 30 seconds {once was to pee}
  • I think this is typical of the age.  I also think that if LW has a partner, they need to employ them to interact with the daughter as much as possible and think about planning some special one on one things for them to do with her in the early days with the new baby.  Feeling special + out of sight and mind really helps at that age.  If the daughter really can't 'get over' it in a healthy way, play therapy would be a good thing to explore.  But I truly think it's the age + pandemic that has heighted all of this. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Kids go through clingy phases all the time! 
    We had 2 meltdowns yesterday because I left the room for 30 seconds {once was to pee}
    Yesterday Chiquito asked when I was going to leave him alone. 
    LMAO!!!
    I half anticipate this but half is just like .... "oh ... kay thanks kid."
    I mean M nor I are BK's bff - her bff is the flipping cat

Katie on Instagram: “Just a girl and her bestie”
  • DS was going through a major Mama phase the last couple months but the last few days has just shrugged me off with a 'bye mama' when I have to leave for work and has even allowed DH to read to him before bed without crying. Phases come and go. Make sure to talk to the daughter and try playing with baby dolls to help her get used to the idea.
  • This is why I tried to give my baby brother to the mailman when I was 3. 
    my mum tried to smother her twin brothers lol