Wedding Woes

Block this person and never talk to them again.

Dear Prudence,

For the past year, I have been acting as the caretaker to my elderly parents, who are in poor health. This has been very stressful, as I have had to be exceedingly careful about my COVID risk, often going far beyond the precautions the general public has to take. I was thrilled last week when I was able to make an appointment to receive my first vaccine for the virus. I shared the news with an old college friend I’ve reconnected with during the pandemic. Her reaction was not what I expected. She accused me of only wanting to go to sex resorts and blamed me for taking vaccines away from “African American grandmothers.” (My friend is white.) I know this is hard for her, as she has been battling a medical condition that is not recognized by many doctors and does not qualify her for the vaccine. But now she is threatening to expose me on social media, saying that I do not need to be vaccinated and am only getting it in order to behave irresponsibly. (It’s true that we’ve had text exchanges where I talk about wanting to eat in restaurants and go to the movies; my friend has always said she will continue to avoid those things.) I don’t want to cancel my appointment, which has been a lifeline for me. But I also don’t want to “go viral.” What should I do?

—Friend Doesn’t Want Me Getting Vaccinated

Re: Block this person and never talk to them again.

• Block this friend and never speak to her again. 
  • Stop talking to her and block her.  

• Someone can post whatever they want even after you block them, but doesn't mean people will believe.

Agreed block and drop this toxic person. I'm thinking if there might be a way to say "you're mistaken on my reasoning" before LW does
  • Friend’s “medical condition not recognized by most doctors” sounds like mental illness when you couple it with everything else. 

• Someone can post whatever they want even after you block them, but doesn't mean people will believe.

Agreed block and drop this toxic person. I'm thinking if there might be a way to say "you're mistaken on my reasoning" before LW does
    But who cares if this person posts it? If anyone mentioned it to LW, surely they would say "yes, I went ahead and got vaccinated. I care for my elderly parents, so it was important to get it as soon as possible to keep them safe. Also, want to check out that new sex club Friday?"
  • I also have a chronic medical condition that does not qualify me for the vaccine yet. It's frustrating. But LW's friend has no right to accuse LW of selfishness just because she's unhappy she can't get vaccinated yet or threaten to embarrass her online. I agree with blocking her and never speaking to her again. Nobody needs this kind of crap in their lives.