Wedding Woes
Options

Don't disclose and they (legally) can't ask.

Dear Prudence,

I’m a woman in my late 20s, and I’m finishing my graduate degree this spring. Late last year, I was diagnosed with a scary but slow-growing and very treatable form of cancer. I have a pretty generous timeline for surgery, and it’s scheduled for after I graduate in May, since I’m scrambling to finish my dissertation. I’m in the process of applying for jobs, many of them remote positions, which raises the question: Do I need to disclose my health and upcoming surgery to potential employers? My instinct is that I don’t, but the start date for many of the jobs I seek would coincide with my planned surgery. And while the recovery period for the surgery is at most two weeks, I don’t want employers to think I’m being deceitful. What should I do?

—Worried About Disclosure

Re: Don't disclose and they (legally) can't ask.

• Options
    Just like I don't think you disclose a pregnancy unless you need to disclose the need for maternity leave don't disclose this. 
  • Options
    I’d wait. It’s entirely possible the dates won’t even be an issue. If they are it really isn’t a big deal to say “hey can I actually start 2 weeks later” and follow up with “I have a medical procedure scheduled.”
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2021
    Definitely don't disclose it.  They can't legally discriminate against someone who has a medical issue (if it doesn't directly relate to the job qualifications), so don't even give them the chance to do it anyway.

Not medically related but, years back, I had already had a cruise scheduled when I started looking for another job.  AFTER I was given a job offer, I told HR something like, "I have a cruise scheduled for a week after the start date we talked about.  If it's a dealbreaker, I'll cancel the cruise.  But I wouldn't be able to get my money back, so I hope it's okay with you all if I still go.  I know I won't have any vacation time yet and will need to take it AWOP, that's fine.  I could also either start the job on X or I can start after the cruise."

FWIW, they had no issue with it.  I started on the the original start date.  Worked one week.  Then took one week off for the cruise, lol.  Then returned to my new job. 

Edited: words
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Don’t disclose and try & negotiate your start date til after your recovery. At that point they’ve already made an offer, they clearly want to hire you, & will likely be willing to accommodate the request.