April 2012 Weddings
Options

adjusting wedding invite for recent widow

There was a very recent death in my fiance's family.  We just went to the services, and the family was wonderful and supportive.  I have an etiquette question, though, and I don't want to ask them, because I don't want to make this about my wedding, when the loss is so recent:

How do I address the invitation to the widowed aunt?  It seems like 'Mrs Husband's full name' would be just too hurtful right now.

I was also going to add her (20yo) daughter and daughter's boyfriend to her invitation, instead of sending two separate invitations.  I thought it might be better for her to have someone else on the invitation.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
As so many people have said in recent weeks, I really appreciate this board! 

Re: adjusting wedding invite for recent widow

• Options
    Wow, anyway you word it, it'll be difficult for her.  I found this online -

When addressing an invitation to a widow, send it using her husband's name, such as Mrs. George Cunningham. The inside envelope would be addressed to Mrs. Cunningham.

I'm not sure if I would follow that E-rule - if it were me, i'd talk to my FI (later if you think it'll be too harsh) and see what he thinks about addressing it to:
    Mrs. Mary Cunningham (for example), on the outer envelope.  I would still send her daughter & boyfriend a seperate invite.

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think I would just do Mrs. Cunningham. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    Sorry to hear thoughts and prayers for you all. I agree with Erica Mrs. Cunningham.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this question, although it comes due to a tough situation. My fiance's grandfather just passed away over Christmas.  We had the funeral on Christmas Eve. I am having the same issue with how to address the invitation to his grandmother. It seems that it will hurt no matter what is on it. Frown

This post helped a lot with some ideas. I'm still not sure how I'm going to address it, though.
    Jamie 9/1/2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You might also consider including something in the program or the ceremony about remembering him, since it was such a close relative.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards