Wedding Woes

He may be nice and have changed, but there's still more than 4 men...

Dear Prudence,

A few months ago I got engaged to a wonderful man. He’s kind and sweet and I love him very much. When I met him, he was fairly upfront about his past, which included a lot of drugs and illicit activities. After a friend of his overdosed, he decided to get clean. It’s been five years, and he’s doing great. The problem is that his past just caught up with him. He was arrested this week after an old associate was swept up in a bust and outed my fiancé’s previous activities. My fiancé isn’t completely sure whether he did the things he’s accused of, but since he was so high, he doesn’t remember.

We don’t know whether he’s going to be getting charged or offered a deal. Everything is so up in the air right now. I’m feeling terrible, but I’m considering leaving him. He’s wonderful, but what kind of a life will we have if he’s in jail for two to five years and then has a record after that? Am I a terrible person for thinking this? When he told me about his past, I never thought it would actually catch up with him.  After talking with him and his lawyers, I think I was being incredibly naïve. Part of me wants to stay and see what happens, but a part of me is worried that even if he gets out of this, something else is right around the corner. He’s such a good man now, and I hate to use his past against him. What should I do?

—Don’t Want to Stay

Re: He may be nice and have changed, but there's still more than 4 men...

• You’ve been incredibly naive and should move on now. No one gets caught up 5 years later in simple possession/use charges. Him being a good man now doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your happiness, stability, security, and safety for him. 
    My thoughts exactly. Besides robbery or something worse, what could he be picked up for 5 Years later?

That being said, I might stick around and see how it plays out. Chances are charges might be dropped if there isn't enough evidence.
    That's true also and would probably be my play, if I were in the LW's shoes.

But I'm also selfish enough that I don't want to hitch my star to someone else's potentially life-changing nightmare.  And there's nothing to be ashamed of in feeling that way either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Isn't this the true story/concept behind Orange is the New Black?  Piper Kerman did some sort of smuggling (was drawn into it by a GF) and got caught years later, after she was married (I think?) and ended up in prison for 18-24 mos.  

Anyway, LW it's only been a few months.  No one will fault you for not wanting to stick it out right now.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Isn't this the true story/concept behind Orange is the New Black?  Piper Kerman did some sort of smuggling (was drawn into it by a GF) and got caught years later, after she was married (I think?) and ended up in prison for 18-24 mos.  

Anyway, LW it's only been a few months.  No one will fault you for not wanting to stick it out right now.  
    Considering we posted the same thing minutes apart I think it's annoying that we live so far away and don't hang out. 
  • No shame in realizing the life you planned with someone is likely to be completely altered from what you expected. You don’t have to stay if you don’t want to! You’re not a bad person. 

But also if it’s 5 years later it makes me think it’s not nothing and you shouldn’t ignore your feelings about it. You don’t have to decide now but you also don’t have to talk yourself into staying. 
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2021
    I'll admit, I'd be far too curious to leave before I found out what happened. But no, don't wait for a dude in prison. 
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Isn't this the true story/concept behind Orange is the New Black?  Piper Kerman did some sort of smuggling (was drawn into it by a GF) and got caught years later, after she was married (I think?) and ended up in prison for 18-24 mos.  

Considering we posted the same thing minutes apart I think it's annoying that we live so far away and don't hang out. 
    I know!  We need to be bourbon drinking buddies.  
  • On one hand, people deserve a second chance.  On the other hand .... how much is it going to cost LW to give this person a second chance?

• kerbohl said:
    On one hand, people deserve a second chance.  On the other hand .... how much is it going to cost LW to give this person a second chance?
    Exactly. Just because someone deserves a second chance doesn't mean you have to be the one to give it to them. There's nothing wrong with LW deciding they are not ready to put their life on hold for this man. 
  • There is a real disconnect here. If the guy has truly been clean and sober for five years then that is the statute of limitations for most crimes. So not sure what they could charge him with.