Wedding Woes
Options

Just because you're ready doesn't mean they are.

Dear Prudence,

When I was in high school, I became quite close with my father’s coworker’s kids. We hung out regularly, played on sports teams together, and goofed around like teens do. They were easily the best friends I’d ever had—until my father was arrested and charged with child molestation. He had numerous victims, including his coworker’s daughter, my friend. I had to move away when this happened.

It has been 20 years since I last spoke to my friends. I was ashamed to have a father who could do that, and I spent much of the last few decades trying to forgive myself for not protecting my friends and working to see myself outside of my father’s abusiveness. I’m in a great place now, but I miss my friends. I was scared to reach out before because of everything that happened, but now I want to quit letting my fear limit my connections. But it’s been 20 years. They’ve never reached out to me either. I wonder if the reality of what my father did means I should err on the side of caution and not reach out. I don’t want to cause any more pain, but I also want to share my life with people who made me feel loved and supported. Is there a right answer here? I cut my father out of my life years ago, and I am ready to reconnect with my past in a healthy way.

—Sins of the Father

Re: Just because you're ready doesn't mean they are.

• Options
    It’s been 20 years they are not your friends! I think you need to explore your feelings of being desperate for love and support with your therapist, not with people who are now effectively strangers who will associate you with terrible trauma. 
    Agreed!  It would be one thing if they had reached out at some point and the LW had been in a place where they weren't emotionally ready to connect, but that isn't what happened.

The LW was a child themselves and didn't know what was going on.  They aren't at fault for what happened and I hope they've forgiven themselves in therapy for any guilt they may have.

But there's no reason to reach out 20 years later and their motives sound selfish.  They remember these friendships as rosy and these people as wonderful and supportive, so that's why they want to reconnect now.  Just don't.  You are all different people now.  A closeness you all had 20 years ago isn't necessarily going to translate to today.

I had some wonderful friends in HS also that I haven't kept in touch with.  But we're "friends" on FB.  Which is a nice way for me to tangentially see what what they've been up to (once in awhile), if I feel like it.  And they can do the same to me, if they want to.  But that's about it and about how it works...without the added horror of a contact reminding someone of the sexual trauma they suffered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It’s been 20 years they are not your friends! I think you need to explore your feelings of being desperate for love and support with your therapist, not with people who are now effectively strangers who will associate you with terrible trauma. 
    THIS.  

• Options
    Please don’t do this LW. 

• Options
    If they wanted to be in contact with you, they would be. Leave them alone. 
  • Options
    4 potential friends in the world
  • Options
    LW's therapist should be encouraging LW to write letters to these people that they'll never send and then how LW can make friends that weren't abused by their dad. 

If they don't have a therapist, then they need one.  I don't think LW has done as much 'work' as they think they have. 
  • Options
    I'm sure they do not  blame you for what your father did to them, nor should they. You were a kid too, and your dad's criminal behavior is not your fault. 

That being said, you should continue to leave them alone. I don't think it's at all unreasonable that someone would not want to be friends with any relative of their abuser. As much as you may miss them, there's a good chance that they would only see you as a reminder of the trauma they went through and the effects it had on them. 

I suggest you leave the past in the past and put your energy toward some new friendships. Leave these old friends in peace and don't risk reopening their wounds.