Wedding Woes

It's totally Mariah, right?

Dear Prudence,

My boyfriend, “Chris,” is obsessed with a famous pop star, “Sparkle.” We are both gay men in our late 30s, and Sparkle has been a household name and a gay icon since we were toddlers.  Chris owns every piece of her merchandise, goes to every tour, has multiple Sparkle tattoos, does impressions and dresses up as her for fun, and has even managed to strike up a vague friendship through social media in his line of work. If you ask him how he’s doing, a typical response sounds something like, “Oh, work, Sparkle, lunch, Sparkle.” When he meets my friends for the first time, he’ll inevitably steer the conversation toward Sparkle within half an hour. Our own conversations always feature her, too, even if I’m trying to talk about my own work. You can’t say anything negative about Sparkle, and comparisons to her closest peer, “Glitter” (whom I actually prefer) set him off on a rant. I have told him I don’t want to talk about her. I’ve done this over text and in person. I’ve done it politely, snarkily, even angrily. Nothing works. I love pop music. I even like Sparkle! (A lot less than I used to, though.) But I don’t want to hear about her every day. I want to talk about art, film, the news, the thoughts and fears that bring two people closer. Sparkle is an obsession, not a passion that I can support, and I don’t know what to do. Do I really have to say “It’s me or her?”

—All That Glitters …

Re: It's totally Mariah, right?

• "Dude I'm happy that you like this person but it frustrates me when it seems like your existence is merged with hers."
  • Sounds like Chris has taken on this fandom as his personality and doesn't know who he is without it. I am curious on how long they have been together, like this obviously isn't new and probably something you can't bring up without it coming off as a personal attack.
  • When you don’t like a major part of someone’s life and personality, you should just not date them! 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2021
    When you don’t like a major part of someone’s life and personality, you should just not date them! 
    Normally I’d agree with that, but this isn’t break up worthy to me.  Probably needs a CTJ with Chris.  Maybe Chris doesn’t even know how bad he is?
    edit: I realize LW already told Chris he doesn’t want to hear it - but maybe show him this letter “look I had to wrote to Prudie about this! That’s how bad it is!”

• When you don’t like a major part of someone’s life and personality, you should just not date them! 
    Normally I’d agree with that, but this isn’t break up worthy to me.  Probably needs a CTJ with Chris.  Maybe Chris doesn’t even know how bad he is?
    I mean I guess I’m picturing someone who’s a Mariah drag queen, and I don’t see it as bad? Different, annoying, but sounds like Chris has a job, has friends, and also has a very particular interest. Since OP has already spoken to Chris about this many times and nothing has changed, I don’t see a reason to continue the relationship. OP doesn’t like Chris, he likes a fantasy version of who Chris might be if he completely changed. 
    I'm also wondering how it even got to a place where Chris and the LW are in a relationship.

Someone who incessantly talks about any subject and usually won't talk about anything else would get really old, really fast.  Like by the second or third date, I'd be backing away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It’s Kylie Minogue, isn’t it? 

But yah have a real, clear conversation about just how much air Sparkle is taking up in your relationship. If he doesn’t get it, maybe it’s time to let him find someone who is as obsessed as he is, and you can find someone who doesn’t want a celebrity as the third person in your relationship. 
  • If you want to try to make this relationship work, you need to have a serious, but calm, talk with Chris about how much this obsession is affecting your relationship and that you need him to stop focusing on Sparkle so much. If he's not receptive or doesn't change, at that point I think you can (and probably should) end things without having to sit him down for another talk. 

That said, if you are already fed up, it's okay to decide you need to break up with him now, especially since you've already made it known how much the Sparkle obsession bothers you. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I can't help noticing that you don't have anything positive or loving to say about Chris in this letter. It's not like you're saying, "he's great and I love him, but..." Just makes me wonder whether you consider this a relationship worth saving or if you just really need to move on.