Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Mother of the Bride attire

Hello, my mother wants me to choose what she wears for my wedding. My mother is wheel chair bond due to a disease called muscular dystrophy. When I asked her what she would prefer to wear she just told me something to distract the guests that she is not in a wheel chair but also not too flashy. I want my mom to feel beautiful and confident because she is so insecure about being in a wheel chair. I just need help on options. She is plus size but is not super big she usually fits in a XL or 1X. She doesn't know if she wants to wear a dress or a pant suit, but she wants to make sure her legs are not shown due to surgery scars. The wedding is going to be in August so what she wears needs to be weather appropriate as well. I will attach a photo of her to maybe help some of you to see what she looks like to help to see what she might look good in. Also I don't know if this info is important but the colors for the wedding is light pink and dusty blue. I am open to all suggestions!

Re: Mother of the Bride attire

• Options
    You are both lovely!  As far as her attire goes, she won't need to match your colors, just complement them. She would look great in a dark purply blue, which would go with your light pink and blue. She might also try silver. If you go with a dress, find one that skims her ankles but doesn't interfere with her wheelchair.

There's a company called Alex Evenings that makes flowing dresses and pantsuits (chiffon type material) for older ladies. My mother has severe scoliosis (which makes her lopsided and crooked) and bought an outfit of theirs to wear to my daughter's wedding.
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2021
    Is there a color your mom especially likes? Complementing the wedding colors is always a nice idea but not necessary by any means. Navy blue is a very popular color for mother of the bride attire, so it's available in a lot of different styles and might give you the most options that would be comfortable for her. I agree with @maine7mob that silver is also a nice choice. Good luck to you both! 
  • Options
    I also think a long flowing dress would work well. My cousin's wife has MS and is wheelchair bound. She wore a long purple dress to her daughter's wedding and a long navy dress to my daughter's wedding. I think with your mother's coloring a more vibrant color than silver would be best (I have similar color). I think navy would look lovely. She will look beautiful no matter what she wears because she will be happy for you! Best wishes!
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2021
    I agree that navy blue, perhaps with silver trim, would look lovely on your mom.

What time of day is the wedding? If it's in the evening, a long flowing dress would be appropriate; if it's earlier in the day, she might prefer a nice pantsuit. But both options can work throughout the day.
  • Options
    The goal is not so poufy it get stuck in a wheel but also not so straight of a skirt there isn't "give" or working the design instead of folds for the seated position to look fantastic in pictures (even though she's sitting it gives the posing for a photo in a regular chair effect) and flattering if she's got a natural tendency to tilt to a side (going off her picture and similar experience of friends with MS when they were at the point of needing wheelchair assistance)...
     Informal Mother of the Bride Dress for Beach Wedding MO186

Though I think she could totally rock something like this (and dress up the chair as part of the outfit!)...

43 Wheelchair Fashion  Style ideas  wheelchair fashion wheelchair  fashion