Wedding Woes
Options

Warm Wednesday

I was just going for the alliteration, it’s going to be hot.  I hate when we go from a brief few days of spring weather to summer.  I did finally find the perfect work-appropriate-but-crazy-comfortable maxi dress, bought it in three colors and wearing one today for the first time.  I feel good ☺️
Wishing everyone a good day!

Re: Warm Wednesday

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Glad you found the perfect dress! A few years ago I found a bunch of maxi skirts at JC Penney that were soooo comfortable, I wore them all the time. Now I'm just lazy and even when I was in the office just wore jeans since we were allowed. 

• Options
    kvruns said:
    Yesterday my work had an event at the Indy 500 track. For those familiar we had a suite up in the top of the Pagoda which was cool. I've been there before and in suites but never in the pagoda. We also got to go in the garage and pit areas although there wasn't much going on in the pits when I was there as it was just a few rookies out. I'm not really a race person but it was fun to see.

Today is trying to play catch up and I'm helping present a webinar tomorrow and the slides are no where near done because I need my boss to weigh in on a part she's doing but hasn't yet. I can't expand on other stuff until then. 
    My DH would be in HEAVEN at the bolded.  He took a road trip with his best friend years ago and a stop there was part of the trip.  At some point I will probably need to send him to the Indy 500. 

I shaved my legs on a weekday!  I'm wearing a dress that's just above the knee and while my pale skin is going to glow in the dark I am here for the comfy dress. 

I slept HORRIBLY last night and an early to bed tonight is in order.
  • Options
    I also hate when it goes from cold-ish to super hot. Last week we still had lows in the 40s! Now we're hitting the 80s. And it's going to be hot this weekend too. Just give me some damn mild weather! 

Had a few crazy days. Went to a wedding this weekend and it was so fun! But when I got home, my dog was not putting any weight on her back right leg, and was actually hopping around. $$$$ later and now she's on an anti-inflammatory with a possible torn ligament. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    Yesterday my work had an event at the Indy 500 track. For those familiar we had a suite up in the top of the Pagoda which was cool. I've been there before and in suites but never in the pagoda. We also got to go in the garage and pit areas although there wasn't much going on in the pits when I was there as it was just a few rookies out. I'm not really a race person but it was fun to see.

Today is trying to play catch up and I'm helping present a webinar tomorrow and the slides are no where near done because I need my boss to weigh in on a part she's doing but hasn't yet. I can't expand on other stuff until then. 
    My DH would be in HEAVEN at the bolded.  He took a road trip with his best friend years ago and a stop there was part of the trip.  At some point I will probably need to send him to the Indy 500. 

I shaved my legs on a weekday!  I'm wearing a dress that's just above the knee and while my pale skin is going to glow in the dark I am here for the comfy dress. 

We got to have a photo op with one of the drivers because we are a small sponsor of his car for the race. I also say 3-4 more drivers out in the garage which I haven't seen in other trips. 

Honestly the actual race is such a PIA because traffic to get in is insane (well in normal nonpandemic years). For a lot of people it is a tradition to go but I don't think I could do it all the time. Going to practice says or carb day is good enough. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

We got to have a photo op with one of the drivers because we are a small sponsor of his car for the race. I also say 3-4 more drivers out in the garage which I haven't seen in other trips. 

Honestly the actual race is such a PIA because traffic to get in is insane (well in normal nonpandemic years). For a lot of people it is a tradition to go but I don't think I could do it all the time. Going to practice says or carb day is good enough. 
    Some day I'll have to look into this.   We've been to NASCAR races which are on a smaller scale but still such a PITA to get into.  For the one time thing he'd deal but he may just want to do a pre-day too.  
  • Options
    So M is not in luck for vax yet.
    They dropped it to 18+ so entire city has no appts. He's going to call again tomorrow and ask about outside of city - we have a few small towns he could go to.
    He's pissed because the roll out is ridiculous and the 18+ should have waited a week - do the 30+ this week, then drop it next week.

As they have been doing.
    Especially because the 18+ range has time online right now as most are out of school :\ 

ANYWAYS we'll see what happens.

I did approx for groceries when BK starts school - because of lunches etc - and aside from sales, it adds probably about $60 every 2 weeks.
    That's tortilla for a wrap option, deli meat, cheese, crackers, juice, granola and fruit or veggies.

Even if BK opts for no wrap, we still have options for her. And this includes making lunches for M & myself also.
    M & I have entertained starting lunch in container if BK is home for even a week before school starts - just to get us all into the routine of it and since it'll be new to BK

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    I woke up with a headache (didn't have much water yesterday), B had a meltdown this morning, H had an even bigger meltdown as a result of B's meltdown, and I'm just emotionally exhausted. B wants me to pick him up from school today but I have a client presentation from 4-5 and normally leave at 445 to pick him up. Daycare is open later so it isn't a big deal being late just means I'll feel rushed. Hopefully I can get my webinar over quickly - i've found this one is a lot shorter when I do it via webinar instead of in person since I don't really get interaction from attendees. 
  • Options
    Work and hike today. I’m bracing myself for the next two weeks when my manager is off on vacation. It’s a little smoky out from some local fires. Looks like fire season has already started, which sucks. I was looking at the CalFire website yesterday and they were saying that due to climate change and drought conditions our fire season this year has been extended by 75 days. That’s insane. 

In other news I might be hosting FSIL’s Co-Ed bachelor/ette party now. FSIL B said she would host it....but she doesn’t want anyone over at her place, she doesn’t want to contact anyone, and she wants it to be a potluck. So that’s out. I’m trying to think of how to word the invite/text that makes it clear you’re responsible for your drinks and dinner when we go out. I don’t mind having people crash at our place and providing pre-game/post game drinks and snacks but there’s no way in hell I can afford dinner and drinks for 12 people all night. This wouldn’t be so much of an issue except for FI’s other siblings just assume you’ll pay for everything when you go out together. It’s annoying as hell. 

• Options
    I've never been in a suite at the track @kvruns, but I've had the pit passes before.  So fun.  I met Josef Newgarten.  Even though I'm not a big racing person, the track is such a cool place especially if you have the special passes.  

I'm going to the office for an event for a couple hours later this afternoon.  After that I'm coming back home to finish work, get DefConn, and then heading back out to a retirement party for my co-worker.  Dad is going to hang with DefConn while I have my outing with co-workers.  I can't wait to see people I haven't seen in a long while.   

Our old neighbor's daughter got engaged yesterday.  I've known them since she was about 6 and her brother was 5.  They were the kiddo's first friends in our old neighborhood.  I'm having feelings about this, LOL.  

I'd say SSDD, but that's really only for this morning. Ha.  DH is all out of sorts that we won't be here when he gets home from work.  I'm hoping he goes out with a coworker for a drink or something...but he's no his own regardless. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @levioosa is that normal for people to think the host would pay for their dinner/drinks? I've definitely never thought that before when I've attended one
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    @levioosa is that normal for people to think the host would pay for their dinner/drinks? I've definitely never thought that before when I've attended one
    No, but FI’s family is special and super cheap. I have never seen them offer to help chip in when we go out to family dinners (except for FSIL A and FI). So I’m trying to think of a way to make it clear that they’re responsible for their own purchases. It’s not like we’re going anywhere crazy expensive either. All things considered the place we’re going for dinner is super reasonable. The portions are huge and $12-20, so if a couple wanted they could split a plate for about $12 each with tip (not counting drinks). I feel like I’m in the twilight zone with them sometimes. 

• Options
    Casadena said:
    levioosa said:
    kvruns said:
    No, but FI’s family is special and super cheap. I have never seen them offer to help chip in when we go out to family dinners (except for FSIL A and FI). So I’m trying to think of a way to make it clear that they’re responsible for their own purchases. It’s not like we’re going anywhere crazy expensive either. All things considered the place we’re going for dinner is super reasonable. The portions are huge and $12-20, so if a couple wanted they could split a plate for about $12 each with tip (not counting drinks). I feel like I’m in the twilight zone with them sometimes. 
    I would just spell it out clearly in the email/invite.  You could even do something like:

Host will provide: Pre-game snack at drinks at your address, a place to crash post-party if needed
    You are responsible for: your individual dinner at X, your own drinks at the bars!
    Exactly what I would do. If they have a history of not getting that their supposed to pay I’d spell it out clearly so there’s no room for “oh I thought you were covering it all”. 
  • Options
    @Casadena I like that. Thanks!

@banana468 I would love to use the “split the bill” wording, I just have terrible experience with that and people ordering way more drinks and apps than they would normally since “we’re splitting the cost.” 

• Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    It is warm!  It's crazy how fast it goes from cold to hot.  I was enjoying the cooler weather .... and we could really use some rain.
    Trying to get ahead on work before things get crazy.  

• Options
    levioosa said:
    @Casadena I like that. Thanks!

@banana468 I would love to use the “split the bill” wording, I just have terrible experience with that and people ordering way more drinks and apps than they would normally since “we’re splitting the cost.” 
    I would also call the restaurant ahead of time and give them a heads up that you will be on separate checks.  then there's no awkward "oh i'll pay, just venmo me" or people getting upset about a split bill when they didn't order that amount, etc etc. 
  • Options
    @levioosa if they're notoriously cheap then I'll also echo that you should clear with the restaurant that they'll do separate checks.  Then you can decide if you want to pick up the tab for FSIL or not but use the wording that "Here's the menu.  Budget X for drinks and Y for food based on the costs you see plus the tip for your portion.  I've arranged for the restaurant to do separate checks." 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    @levioosa if they're notoriously cheap then I'll also echo that you should clear with the restaurant that they'll do separate checks.  Then you can decide if you want to pick up the tab for FSIL or not but use the wording that "Here's the menu.  Budget X for drinks and Y for food based on the costs you see plus the tip for your portion.  I've arranged for the restaurant to do separate checks." 

Oh yeah, I was going to call today for both reservations and to see if they’re cool with checks split 4-6 ways. Honestly splitting it 4-5 ways is not terrible at all (I say as a former server who used to have large parties all the time). Sometimes restaurants have a “no split checks policy” which I understand even though it is annoying. 

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @ILoveBeachMusic I just read The Rent Collector and The Last Apothecary and really liked both, especially the latter I couldn't put it down 
  • Options
    Very specific and not easily Googlable vaccine question.  Can you get a first dose overseas and 2nd dose in US if it's pfizer/moderna? 

I know within the US people go to different cities/states/etc but can't find info on the international question.  My sister is planning to come home this summer (she lives in Europe) and would get vaccinated ASAP upon arrival.  But her country just announced her age/occupation group is eligible starting like 2 weeks before she travels.  Wondering if its best to get one shot there and one shot here?  Or just wait until she is here.  She'll be here 6 weeks so plenty of time to get the full round here - just wondering if the other option is even possible.  
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2021
    @levioosa, I'm on Team Separate Checks. If that's not possible, can you prepay for what you are willing to cover, let the restaurant know that you will not cover any other charges and sign a contract to that effect?

I think before you make any further plans for this party, you should have a come-to-Jesus discussion with your FSIL and in-laws about what you will and won't pay for so they can't cheap their way out of paying their fair share. Indicate that your budget is $X and anything over that is their responsibility and theirs alone.

This is me, but I'd also tell FSIL that a potluck is out.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic I just read The Rent Collector and The Last Apothecary and really liked both, especially the latter I couldn't put it down 
    We read The Rent Collector a couple of years ago and really liked it. I will have to put The Last Apothecary on my list!
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Very specific and not easily Googlable vaccine question.  Can you get a first dose overseas and 2nd dose in US if it's pfizer/moderna? 

I know within the US people go to different cities/states/etc but can't find info on the international question.  My sister is planning to come home this summer (she lives in Europe) and would get vaccinated ASAP upon arrival.  But her country just announced her age/occupation group is eligible starting like 2 weeks before she travels.  Wondering if its best to get one shot there and one shot here?  Or just wait until she is here.  She'll be here 6 weeks so plenty of time to get the full round here - just wondering if the other option is even possible.  
    Yes it is possible. But if it is easy for her to get it done while she is here, it might be less complicated. There is a FB group Two Fat Expats that get this, and similar, questions frequently. Tell her to check it out for more specific information.
  • Options
    Casadena said:

Yes it is possible. But if it is easy for her to get it done while she is here, it might be less complicated. There is a FB group Two Fat Expats that get this, and similar, questions frequently. Tell her to check it out for more specific information.
    Thank you!!