Wedding Party
Options

Groom's Party all women

My fiance has always been the type of guy to have a bunch of female friends and not many close male friends. He's thinking about having all of his groomsmen be women but is a bit nervous that this will look funny. 
I don't mind about him having all girls, they're his friends and they're all really lovely women but I'm not sure how to how to help him feel more comfortable with the idea. I personally think he should have people who he trusts and values regardless of gender rather than picking a guy he barely know just to 'look right. 
Do you think guests will find it odd? I also don't know what to call them, groomswomen just sounds weird? 

Re: Groom's Party all women

• Options
    I do believe groomswomen is the correct term but you could always use the generic word attendant. Or perhaps you could just say groom's wedding party and bride's wedding party. I think it is unusual for a groom to have an all woman wedding party but there is no reason he can't if they are his closest friends. As a guest I would probably look twice then think nothing about it. I don't think it will look "funny". Just tell him what you have written in your post about he should have whom he trusts and values standing next to him to witness y'all's marriage.
  • Options
    I hope you have had some discussions about why he doesn't have any close male friends. Beyond that, yes, just call them attendants if you have a program or an announcement.
  • Options
    maine7mob said:
    I hope you have had some discussions about why he doesn't have any close male friends. Beyond that, yes, just call them attendants if you have a program or an announcement.
    What is wrong with him having close female, rather than male, friends that would need discussions. 
  • Options
    OP, you're absolutely right.  His wedding party should be his nearest and dearest friends, which happen to be women.  He shouldn't ask casual guy friends, just to have some males on his side.

To be honest, as a guest, it would catch my attention for a moment because it's a bit unusual.  But not in a bad way and then I wouldn't give it a second thought.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    It might surprise me as a guest that the groom's attendants are all women, but only momentarily because I've never seen it before. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If they constitute his closest friends, then they're the people he should ask to be in the wedding party, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 There is nothing "wrong" with him having only female friends, but it is unusual for a person not to have a single close friend of the same gender. If this were someone I was going to marry, I'd want to discuss it with him. And I imagine you would, too. So I hope the OP has done this.

But yes, he should have his close friends as his attendants.
  • Options
    maine7mob said:
    @charlotte989875 There is nothing "wrong" with him having only female friends, but it is unusual for a person not to have a single close friend of the same gender. If this were someone I was going to marry, I'd want to discuss it with him. And I imagine you would, too. So I hope the OP has done this.

My closest friends for almost my entire life have been male. A year out from my wedding, my attendants would have all been male if I didn't have sisters. Even now, there's only a few women I'm super close enough to that I'd consider them for my wedding party. I don't see what's so unusual. Having the same genitals has nothing to do with trust, loyalty, being good people, having common interests - the things friendships are based on.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    @Cookie Pusher, I agree. And I hope the OP has had this discussion with her fiance.
  • Options
    maine7mob said:

It's a little unusual, but I'm still not sure exactly what it is that you think needs to be discussed. 

As for the wedding party, I'd call them groomswomen or attendants. And yeah, it would stand out a bit to me only because I've never seen all women standing up on the groom's side before, but I wouldn't think there was anything wrong about it. I'd just figure that they're his sisters or really good friends that he is close to. Either way, he should ask the people he feels closest to and not worry about their gender or including a man just to have it seem less "odd."
  • Options
    I don't see why anyone thinks there's something wrong with this. We've hopefully moved beyond a time when people are expected to share a gender with their closest friends. It anyone thinks it looks weird, that's their problem. (Just as it's their problem if someone thinks it's odd that your FI has primarily women for close friends.) 

I would call them groomswomen. I'm not sure why you think it sounds funny. I've heard women standing for a groom called by that term going back to at least the 90s.