Wedding Etiquette Forum

Can I wear black to a wedding??

Is it ok to wear black to a wedding? What about mostly black? I’m planning to wear a black maxi dress to a wedding I’m going to in August, it’s black but has some pink flowers so I thought it would be ok but I don’t want to offend anyone or stand out. Is that not an appropriate color to wear as a guest or will wearing black make it look like I’m unhappy about them getting married (like my mom said). do I need to buy something new to wear? It’s my cousin’s wedding and it’ll be outside, if that matters. 

Re: Can I wear black to a wedding??

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Is it ok to wear black to a wedding? What about mostly black? I’m planning to wear a black maxi dress to a wedding I’m going to in August, it’s black but has some pink flowers so I thought it would be ok but I don’t want to offend anyone or stand out. Is that not an appropriate color to wear as a guest or will wearing black make it look like I’m unhappy about them getting married (like my mom said). do I need to buy something new to wear? It’s my cousin’s wedding and it’ll be outside, if that matters. 

I wear black to all types of events.  The majority of my wedding guests wore black, it’s a flattering color.
  • My black lace cocktail dress is my go-to for weddings! 

Unless this is a cultural thing or you're planning to wear a black veil and look like you're mourning I think black at a wedding is fine.  My bigger issue is white! 
  • You can wear any color you like except for white.
  • Your mom is really out-dated. No black at a wedding was a thing 50 years ago, but it pretty much died with the advent of the little black dress. 

Black is fine. 
  • Unless the couple getting married and their families are from a culture where black is still definitively considered a color of mourning, it is fine to wear black to a wedding. I've worn it to almost every wedding I've attended, and there were always plenty of other guests wearing it as well.
  • banana468 said:
    My black lace cocktail dress is my go-to for weddings! 

Unless this is a cultural thing or you're planning to wear a black veil and look like you're mourning I think black at a wedding is fine.  My bigger issue is white! 
    Now I'm laughing at the imaginary picture in my mind of a guest showing up for a wedding in a black veil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    My black lace cocktail dress is my go-to for weddings! 

Now I'm laughing at the imaginary picture in my mind of a guest showing up for a wedding in a black veil.
    Right!? 

I've only seen it once where you could see physical disdain by a wedding guest.  And it was the MOB.