Wedding Woes

Friday!!!

I am so glad for the end of this week.  I'm so tired of work right now.  We're getting to an end in sight with this software project and I'm hoping I can get my feet back under me after it's off the plate.

Therapy was good yesterday.  I think I cursed more in that session than I ever have.

One of my dear friends is doing his music show tomorrow night.  The place he's performing has great mocktails, so I'm excited to go.  Hopefully, another friend is going with me too.  Sunday, I'm going with a friend to lunch and then the art museum.  I'm trying hard to start socializing again, in healthy manners.  Also have my 3rd tattoo appointment officially made (my inner left forearm) and my nose piercing is July 3.  I think that in my 40s and in this particular stage of my life, I'm just tired of having "professionalism" defined for me.  And the younger generation is doing a good job of getting those standards changed too.  So fuck this, Imma look how I want.

Re: Friday!!!

• Chaotic times.

So yesterday M had to pick up BK after his eye appt because daycare's husband had to be rushed to hospital via ambulance.
    Ended up being back problems, and he's home with heavy meds for his back. If this doesn't work, they're entertaining surgery.

I gotta get on driving because it would have been useful yesterday because BK needed to be picked up asap and I wasn't sure how long M would be.
    {Side note, he hasn't been in 6yrs and his right eye was bugging him - apparently his astigmatism has changed and contacts tend to be affecting quickly. We're going to pick up some actual glasses for him also}

Luckily SFIL is now on LTD so he was able to watch BK today - my mum would have but she had plans and we didn't want her to cancel when SFIL is available.

I'll post a couple shots in baby thread of BK at IL's place.
  • I'm with you on the "professionalism" thing. I finally took advantage of being long term WFH and put the pink and purple in my hair that I've wanted for years, and now I feel so stupid for waiting. It's only on the bottom, but I'm seriously considering going all over pink in the next go-round. I love that the younger generation is really pushing this along. There were years when I was going to court a lot (especially out in the sticks) when I wouldn't even paint my nails a "non-traditional" color. It's such bullshit.
    I have ALWAYS wanted to dye my hair jet black with blue streaks in it.  I skirted the line a few months ago with it, doing a blue black overall with silver streaks and it looked amazing.  I received a lot of compliments, but I could see some of the older staff doing small side eyes.  

I also started with changing my nail colors to "non-traditional".  I was just so bored with how I looked all the time, I missed having a bit of "punk rock star edge" to me.  In college, I had specific outfits that I pulled out to wear for Rock Star Varuna's night out (seriously, purple satin pants with a matching top and then a matching purple velvet blazer.  It was amazing, I miss that outfit). I miss her and dammit, she's coming back! :smiley:
  • @VarunaTT, I fully support blowing off productivity and spending the afternoon shopping for a new pair of purple satin pants. 

@Casadena, didn't you have a potential interview if baby doesn't come? Is that the silver lining? 
  • @Casadena, fingers crossed for you! 
  • @Casadena how far along are you now? I was 41w 3d with DH. My Dr would even talk about inducing until I was 42w.

re: Swiss. we splurged on business class so I am sure it will be great. Well, as good as it can be with an energetic 2.5y/o flying for almost 24 hours. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yay for the flights @missJeanLouise and all the late pregnancy vibes @Casadena
    Ouch @levioosa I feel like someone is always calling out where you work 😖
    Trying to figure out when I’ll see my dad this weekend…H already said the kids aren’t leaving his side this weekend, this is his weekend (lol since he’s literally never acknowledged Mother’s Day).  So even if the kids can’t see my dad, I will, he’s world’s best father (IMO, lol). Working Sunday anyway from 8-12ish for my school’s graduation. So we’ll see..
  • @Casadena I was induced- let me know if you have questions! I ended up needing a csection, but would have without the induction. 
  • I'm also really glad for the weekend. This week has been a mess and I need some sleep. It's looking like a little cooler but kinda rainy, so hopefully we can get yard work done and then some inside chores. 

I'm with you on the "professionalism" thing. I finally took advantage of being long term WFH and put the pink and purple in my hair that I've wanted for years, and now I feel so stupid for waiting. It's only on the bottom, but I'm seriously considering going all over pink in the next go-round. I love that the younger generation is really pushing this along. There were years when I was going to court a lot (especially out in the sticks) when I wouldn't even paint my nails a "non-traditional" color. It's such bullshit.
    I have always said that hair colour does not mean I'm good or bad at my job.
    I had a job that disliked my hair {originally dyed red} was fading orange and said to change it.
    Luckily I had an appt already but still .... it was probably the beginning of the end at that place.

Meanwhile my current job couldn't give 0 fucks if I did rainbow hair {I did confirm with my boss about this as I had planned on it}
    As long as my hair is brushed, my boss doesn't care.
  • @Casadena I was induced but BK was already in process, they just had to keep contractions moving
  • I'm also really glad for the weekend. This week has been a mess and I need some sleep. It's looking like a little cooler but kinda rainy, so hopefully we can get yard work done and then some inside chores. 

I'm with you on the "professionalism" thing. I finally took advantage of being long term WFH and put the pink and purple in my hair that I've wanted for years, and now I feel so stupid for waiting. It's only on the bottom, but I'm seriously considering going all over pink in the next go-round. I love that the younger generation is really pushing this along. There were years when I was going to court a lot (especially out in the sticks) when I wouldn't even paint my nails a "non-traditional" color. It's such bullshit.
    I had a job that disliked my hair {originally dyed red} was fading orange and said to change it.
    Luckily I had an appt already but still .... it was probably the beginning of the end at that place.

Meanwhile my current job couldn't give 0 fucks if I did rainbow hair {I did confirm with my boss about this as I had planned on it}
    For me, it's not as blatant as that. I'm "allowed" to have whatever hair, piercings, tattoos or whatever that I want. No one would ever tell me that I have to change it. It's the same with clothes; there's no dress code and no one would ever tell you that you have to change. 

It's more about the intangibles of impression and networking when you're trying to move forward. Corporate culture is changing, but it's so slow. It's kind of along the same lines that I could wear a t-shirt and jeans every day if I wanted to, but when I'm in the office I dress nicer because of how I want to be perceived. It's all stupidAF, but it is what it is.
  • You know what I love? The “cosmo sky” look (attached because I really can’t explain it well) I was thinking about it for awhile now and I think I could get away with it here... i just hate how color fades so fast. 
    So glad you got your tickets @missJeanLouise!
    @banana468 those yoda donuts though!  ❤️ 

Last night our work party went well.  I did take a tumble. We were at my boss’ house for it, and she even said before everyone showed that she had a step in her house that was camouflaged and hard to distinguish the levels.  Who’d be the person to forget the step was there?  Moi. And I didn’t even have one sip of alcohol when it happened! This was just during the tour if it all when we got there.  My butts a little sore, but no major injuries at least.  

Hope everyone has a good father’s day weekend!

For me, it's not as blatant as that. I'm "allowed" to have whatever hair, piercings, tattoos or whatever that I want. No one would ever tell me that I have to change it. It's the same with clothes; there's no dress code and no one would ever tell you that you have to change. 

It's more about the intangibles of impression and networking when you're trying to move forward. Corporate culture is changing, but it's so slow. It's kind of along the same lines that I could wear a t-shirt and jeans every day if I wanted to, but when I'm in the office I dress nicer because of how I want to be perceived. It's all stupidAF, but it is what it is.
    I can find a photo if this is complicated, but I had a hairstyle that was like front part was normal colour and back was a fun colour {ex: front was a light brown, back was pink} and the way it was done, you could push the front colour around so less fun colour was showing. Or vice versa.

Again, if this is complicated I can show a photo as example.

This is my experience as well. I have my nose pierced (and have f’since grad school) but I wear a really small diamond at work. I can wear a tshirt and jeans in the office but always wear at least a blazer or sweater & collared shirt. When I meet with executives I’m always wearing business clothes. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when we all go back to the office tho. Everyone is wearing shirts/jeans now so who knows if that will make the transition back probably not. 

This is my experience as well. I have my nose pierced (and have f’since grad school) but I wear a really small diamond at work. I can wear a tshirt and jeans in the office but always wear at least a blazer or sweater & collared shirt. When I meet with executives I’m always wearing business clothes. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when we all go back to the office tho. Everyone is wearing shirts/jeans now so who knows if that will make the transition back probably not. 
    I wear a dress almost every day b/c 1. It's one decision to make and then accessorize and 2. No pants!!  A lot of people here took advantage of the "jeans allowed" rule while the office was closed to the public.  Now. they're all having to get used to the business clothing rule again.  

The legal field is just conservative and always has been.  Skirts at knee level, always jackets, "professional" hair and nails, etc.  I don't so much mind conservative clothes b/c they can still be stylish, but I'm tired of "professional hair and makeup" stuff.  It's so couched in patriarchy and racism, I'm ready for people to feel good about how they look.  It can only result in better job performance.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I broke down and did telehealth last night
     because I was so miserable.  My head was just not clearing and my sinuses were so swollen. I’m feeling ok today, but still feel blah. 

Getting a pedicure right now. Last minute running around and then packing is the plan for the rest of the day. 

Hoping I can feel more like myself by Sunday when we get the boats and such and vacation really begins.  Have a great week y’all!
    Glad you did telehealth!
    Only over the counter stuff that works when I'm like that is the Hydra Sense, but idk where you're at with needs
  • I took a vacation day yesterday and today.  The main reason is because I was supposed to have been in a market research (MR) online forum meeting that I would make an easy $125 for 90 minutes of "work".  But instead, I had one of the worst days of my life.

I was making breakfast about 40 minutes before I needed to log in for the MR, when I get a phone call from my H.  Which was weird, because he was in the backyard.  He'd dislocated his shoulder...which happens to him every few years...and was in tremendous pain.  So I go out to help him.  And bye-bye to my easy money...those opportunities so rarely, rarely happen...but OF COURSE this emergency happens during the only 2 hours I needed available that day.

I'm hoping he can at least walk so I can drive him to the hospital and we don't have an ambulance bill.  But nope, we need to call an ambulance anyway.  I was hoping against hope the ambulance would get there quickly enough that I could still make my meeting.  But no again.

His friend (F) came over during this melee because my H was supposed to take him to the bus/train station for that guy's trip to Chicago.  It was going to be later in the day, but my H called him to let him know what had happened.  I told my H to let him know I could take him.  I was really thankful F came by because he was able to finish cutting the branch my H had been working on and was able to move the pile of branches so EMS could get their stretcher in.

So now H is off to the hospital.  F is helping with that branch.  And then I will take him to the train station.  It's about 15-20 minutes away from me.  I drop him off.  Great.  Then, right as pulling up back to my house.  I get a call from F.  He doesn't have his ID on him.  Can I look in his truck (he left it parked on our street) and go back to the station to give it to him.  I look in his truck.  It isn't there.  So I go back to the station to get him.  We drive ALL the way back to his house...which is more like 30 minutes away from the station.  Except his ID isn't there either.  We go back to my house and he finds it, in between the seats of his truck.  And I drive him back to the station.  So that's 2 1/2 hours of almost constantly driving.  On my vacation day.  And I'm SO HUNGRY because when my H called me, I was MAKING a fancy breakfast.  But didn't have time to finish and eat it.  I grabbed a granola bar and that was it.

At this point, I just want fast food because I'm feeling too weak, to take the time to finish the breakfast I started hours earlier.  I get some food on my way home.  And, again, right as I park, I get a call.  This time from my H.  He's been discharged and needs me to get him.  I wish I'd told him, "Sorry, you need to wait 20 minutes longer so I can finally f**king get something to eat 2 o'clock in the afternoon."  But I didn't.  I left again to get him.

In summary, 3 1/2 hours of constant driving.  And one granola bar from when I woke up until 3pm.  Plus some fries in the last hour.  Instead of making $125 and relaxing.

H is doing fine.  He's always fine after they knock him out at the hospital and pop his shoulder back into place.  He has to wear a sling and take it easy on his arm for the next week.

I ran some errands this morning.  But now I am settled in to veg and drink guava mimosas, while I first catch up on Prudie.  And then go to Reddit for some AITA stories.

A tropical storm is headed to my area.  The forecast looks better today then it did yesterday.  But I think we will still be in for a lot of rain. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oh @short+sassy i'm so sorry your easy day off turned so horrible!!!  Glad your H is ok at least and that there aren't going to be any lasting consequences hopefully.  Drink ALL the mimosas and enjoy catching up on some trashy reading. The Money Diaries didn't' disappoint this week either if you want to keep going!  Hope your weekend turns around a lot!
  • Ugh! Sounds like a horrible day @short+sassy, glad H is ok though! Maybe tomorrow will be better for you?

• VarunaTT said:
    I'm also really glad for the weekend. This week has been a mess and I need some sleep. It's looking like a little cooler but kinda rainy, so hopefully we can get yard work done and then some inside chores. 

I wear a dress almost every day b/c 1. It's one decision to make and then accessorize and 2. No pants!!  A lot of people here took advantage of the "jeans allowed" rule while the office was closed to the public.  Now. they're all having to get used to the business clothing rule again.  

The legal field is just conservative and always has been.  Skirts at knee level, always jackets, "professional" hair and nails, etc.  I don't so much mind conservative clothes b/c they can still be stylish, but I'm tired of "professional hair and makeup" stuff.  It's so couched in patriarchy and racism, I'm ready for people to feel good about how they look.  It can only result in better job performance.
    That's me too, in the summer.  

Even when I was still in office, I rarely wore makeup, or wore just eyeshadow and lip balm.  I'm good with people not feeling like they have to wear makeup, or for those who love wearing tonnes of makeup to go that option too.  

• What a shitty day @short+sassy I hope the rest of the weekend is better. 

My day also became a shit show. I’m in such a bad mood. Ugh. 

• Its perfectly fine to be in a bad mood @levioosa don't be too hard on yourself ((hugs))