Wedding Woes

Covid

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited June 2021 in Wedding Woes
I am so pissed off.  I live in MO, which is one of these damn states that thinks no one should tell you what to do but religion, Trumper-land, and all the gross ugly bad red state things.

Covid is surging again in my city.  We JUST lifted the mask mandate, but at my last check were barely at 40% vaccinated.  We've been hit with the Delta variant, hard.  The hospital that received national accolades for building a dormitory style covid wing in like...7 weeks or something astounding like that, that had posted pics celebrating it's close, has reopened it, is seeing patients mostly in their 20s-40s, and is posting that they are going to have to start diverting patients because of a 5 fold increase in patients from last month b/c these stupid assholes won't GO GET VACCINATED.

Okay, I got it off my chest.  I'm going to be so pissed if all of this fuckery ends up making my vaccine not work against variants/mutations.  Plus, they're probably going to mask mandate again, which is fine, but I'm just irritable AF.

Re: Covid

• Oh and all of those patients?  100% of them are not vaccinated.
  • Yup.  I wasn’t thrilled about getting the vaccine.  I didn’t do it for me.  I did it for other people and to get things back to normal!  If there is no medical issue stopping you from getting the vaccine just get it. Let’s get back to normal!

That being said, our governor announced yesterday that IL is also going to be a vaccine lottery state. I’m hoping that does change some nay sayer minds like it’s intended to. 

• I have such issues with those not getting vaccinated! 

DH and I have discussed this over and over again and I've also pointed out that those who are super religious and not getting it are about as hypocritical as you can get. 
  • I was reading an article that what @VarunaTT is describing is happening nationwide.  The beginning of the pandemic, was mostly elderly people being hospitalized for COVID.

But elderly people got the vaccines first and, demographics-wise, have a higher percentage of people who got vaccinated compared to the general public.

So now, most of the people being hospitalized are much younger.  And roughly only 1-2% of COVID hospitalizations are vaccinated people.

I just don't know how much more BLACK AND WHITE you can get about the vaccine!!!!  FFS!!!!

Let's even talk worst case scenario.  That the COVID vaccines end up having long term side effects that we don't know about yet.  But do you know what else has short-mid-long term side effects for some people?  F**king COVID does!  Including death.  And that's an absolute certainty.

I don't normally like to be demanding about the health choices people make for themselves.  But as the months wear on and we have seen 10s of millions of people get vaccinated, with only very rare complications.  I am also becoming substantially less tolerant of non-vax people.

I couldn't find more current statistics.  But on May 26th, NOLA was at a 46% rate.  Unfortunately, Louisiana as a whole is currently at 31%.  If I think about those stats together, NOLA alone is probably propping that stat up higher than it really is for the rest of the state.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm sorry Varuna...that's awful and really heart-breaking.
    There have been some stores in my area that have signs up saying if you're fully vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask but most people (myself included) are still masking indoors.  I am personally because my kids are too young to be vaccinated and the handful of people I know who were first in line to unmask at stores/who've been most vocal about "FINALLYYYYYY I cAn BreaTHe againnnn fk masks" I happen to know aren't vaccinated (two co-workers, my sister's close friend, a mom friend from our old neighborhood).  They refuse the vaccine bc covid and masks were a hoax.  So unfortunately I'm unable to trust the honor system.
  • banana468 said:
    I cannot trust the honor system and honestly question why I should.   It's not like it's proven to be reliable en masse in the past.  The honor system works for the small farm down the road where I buy eggs by the dozen and put my money in a box, take the eggs and go home without seeing a human.  On an issue that's as divisive as these it's damn stupid to think that the honor system is functional. 

DH mentioned to his dad that he's masked when he's not at his desk now at work.  It's both for his own safety and for our kids and very bluntly said, "I don't care about the statistics when it's my kid.  And if I'm in the hospital with one of my kids who get Covid I'm going to be pissed off." 

I'm unmasked outside or inside when with vaccinated family.  As far as the breathing goes I want to say, "I'm pretty sure my obstetrician could breathe when he wore a mask and stared at my vagina and caught my kids," but I'm known for being over the line. 
    It's completely ridiculous and I'm eye rolling at every, single political leader...big and small...across the country who have enacted those policies and actually did it with a straight face.  Honor system=no one wears a mask unless they want to.  Obviously!

Unfortunately, I have a very real example of that.  At my H's job...yes, his brand new only been there two weeks job...their manager came down with COVID last week.  That got him and the other employees chit-chatting about their vaccinations or lack thereof.  He was shocked to discover that about half his coworkers have not gotten the vaccine.  Nor do any of them wear masks.  Even though this is a store that's open to the public!

Louisiana's policy is no masks necessary (except for specific things), vaccinated or not doesn't matter.  NOLA has a "stricter" policy, in that only vaccinated people can be without a mask in public, indoor places.  So, in reality, not any different.

I personally don't wear a mask anymore, unless a business requires it or I am getting into an elevator with other people.  My H is 50/50.  If he sees the employees and a lot of the customers wearing masks, he will also.  But we also don't have any children in our home.  If we did, I'd be more on the safe side with masks like a lot of you are. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker