Pre-wedding Parties

MOH-zilla

I’m going down to key west with a group of girls this fall....air bnb and flight costing close to $900. The MOH is being defensive about going out to explore bc the bride would rather spend time together rather than see the island. I suggested we can split off and go explore for a couple hours, rent bikes...that was shut down too. I’m trying to enjoy this vacation and get my monies worth but it feels like it’s creating a problem. HELP

Re: MOH-zilla

• I’m going down to key west with a group of girls this fall....air bnb and flight costing close to $900. The MOH is being defensive about going out to explore bc the bride would rather spend time together rather than see the island. I suggested we can split off and go explore for a couple hours, rent bikes...that was shut down too. I’m trying to enjoy this vacation and get my monies worth but it feels like it’s creating a problem. HELP
    This is the kind of thing I'd play by ear. I'm assuming the MOH probably will have some sort of itinerary of things going on. During some down time, I'd suggest that anyone who wants to go out and explore a little should come join. You don't all have to be held hostage while you're there. 
  • You don't have to do what one person wants to do the whole trip. If you want to go walk around, just go. This is why these destination b-parties are generally no fun. People with different expectations and interests are all thrown together and expected to all do the same thing the whole time. 

I would probably have a real conversation with your friend though. "This trip is expensive and is probably going to be my only vacation this year. I want you to have a good time, but I also want to make the most of the trip. I will be renting a bike and exploring the island some while we're there." 
    All of this.  I've only done two destination parties and one was with H and we already knew the itinerary and it was for his brother and SIL.  The other was for a friend and in the middle of nowhere.  If I was going to be flying into a destination I'd speak up - especially if this was going to be at a cost that it was my only vacation.  Just say, "I'll bow out of that afternoon's activities but will join later for Y"

• I would firmly say, "I will join you at X, Y and Z times, but the rest of the time, I'm on my own. This is my only vacation time this year, and I need some time to myself."
  • It is okay to advocate for yourself to have time to do the things you want to see/do to enjoy the trip otherwise!  Why go on a destination trip if the main thing you're going to do is hole up in a hotel/airbnb together and not actually get to go out and see all that is Key West - you can otherwise do that type of thing close to home any weekend without laying out $900!