Wedding Woes

Wednesday

At work, jamming out to a new Spotify playlist built around some of my favorite hip hop.  Going to see Pulp Fiction tonight on the big screen for the first time in decades.  

Nothing much else to report.  Glad it's the middle of the week.

Re: Wednesday

• How is it only Wednesday? This week feels a million hours long.  Not too much to report here either. Yesterday was a lot. Like security getting involved at work a lot. *sigh* I’m sitting in my car before work listening to a good playlist and trying to pump myself up for the day. Otherwise SSDD. Hike tonight and I have to figure out something healthy to eat for dinner. Good vibes to everyone for a decent hump day! 

• We are getting much needed rain here this morning but that means it's dark and dreary outside.  

Work is... work.  I'm supposed to be cross-training with someone from my team but he does most things outside of regular work hours so I haven't been able to shadow.  He's done the job by himself for several years and is now to be cross-training me.  He talks a good game but isn't good at actually following through.  Ick.
  • Also dealing with a month long week.

This morning I was going over my emails from the airline to make sure I have all the right documents and what not. That's when I discovered an email I had apparently skimmed that the last leg of my trip home, the one that actually gets me into my city, was CANCELLED. Not rescheduled, not rebooked, cancelled! Did that automatically cancelled the first leg of the trip? No. (Like I was just going to arrive in Zurich and then what?) And then it said I was supposed to choose whether I wanted a refund or whatever by the 26th to avoid fees and charges. So I frantically called customer service, sat on hold, and by the time the poor lady answered was about to bust into tears. Luckily she was able to get me a flight the following day, with no charges, and was so nice. I am so happy it was easily resolved, not really what I wanted to deal with before coffee.

Then I went to the gym, which was great. My normal trainer has been on holiday so I have been working out with this pilates lady on the reformer machine and it is my absolute favorite. It is like yoga and weights at the same time.

Then I had my 3 month scan. They told me to come with a full bladder but then I had to wait an hour. I was about to pee my pants by the time it was my turn.

Tonight I need to write the cat/plant instructions for the sweet neighbor boys who are going to help us while we are gone. Trying to decide if making little videos for watering the plants is too much or helpful (they are pretty young, 10 & 9, so they literally know nothing about plants.)
  • OMG YES @levioosa.  Fuck the USOC and IOC for that shit.  

I like the Olympics, but it's getting harder to support with the abuse, the rules, the corruption, and the massive issues that really screw over the host cities.  I've honestly been kind of checked out on watching them this time around. I'll find other things to watch or be on my phone the whole time. 
  • I was already pissed at the Olympics for their arbitrary hormone level rules and then the cannabis thing.  I'm glad I haven't been watching, b/c I was even more angry at how they treated Simone.  The Olympics are supposed to be about being an elite athlete and she's being punished for being just that.
  • I did not know that about the fencer @levioosa.  Of course that’s not publicly in the spotlight though.
    phew @missJeanLouise that would have made me panic too.  Glad it’s all resolved 
    sorry for the loss in the family @mrsconn23

amc was giving me problems but I finally was able to purchase my ticket for the movie PIG tomorrow.  It looks stupid, but it’s free? Ish. And has Nicolas Cage in it so at least the acting will be good? @VarunaTT I did get around to seeing “Old”. It was OK. Not his usual suspenseful ending but not bad.  I also just made a decision to take tomorrow off.  I need some blood work done in the morning that requires fasting and my chin will be swollen from the pcdc treatment I’m having tonight so tomorrow is as good as any. That’s why I booked a 3:00 pm movie. 

• Arrived at DD's yesterday. The kids and she all have colds. The baby and one of the twins is doing ok the other one is just miserable - he doesn't handle being sick well at all. Hopefully I avoided the contagious period - DD did tell me in advance that they have colds so I could cancel if I wanted. I'm here until Sunday then home until vacation next month. I want to go now but am getting a little worried about Covid again. I guess we can always eat in all the time. Being on a beach doesn't really worry me because it is a private beach and never very crowded. I also found a photographer to do family pictures!
  • I'm going to see Pulp Fiction on the big screen tonight, which will be cool to see again.  I've heard surprisingly good things about Pig, but it's not showing at my theatre.  I think I'll be hitting the movies hard this weekend.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I'm going to see Pulp Fiction on the big screen tonight, which will be cool to see again.  I've heard surprisingly good things about Pig, but it's not showing at my theatre.  I think I'll be hitting the movies hard this weekend.
    Yeah it was released on the 16th and I had a hard time finding a showing near me.  Only thing this week was 3 pm’s.  NOT why I took the day off, but a nice cherry to it. I needed a mental health day.  Just a me day.  And Friday’s are super chill in the office and a waste of a day off.
    have fun at Pulp Fiction! I never saw that in its entirety! 

• @mrsconn23, I'm sorry to hear about the loss in your sister's family.  Defconn's school schedule sounds so weird.  Both that the school year is starting in July, the end of July but still July, and on a Thursday.  Is that how it usually is or did COVID alter things?

@missJeanLouise, I'm glad you caught that e-mail and were able to get things switched up in time.  Phew!  I had my flight get cancelled due to weather a few years ago when I was trying to come back home from CA.  It was an extra two days...and having to pay for a hotel room in Dallas for one night...before I could get home.  At the time, we kept being told "Saturday" was the soonest they could get us back to NOLA.  The original day we were supposed to leave was Tuesday!

We opted to fly to Dallas anyway and figure it out from there.  Including possibly renting a car and driving back home.  But a kind ticket agent put us on a flight for the next day.  At least on a plus, the Dallas flight she booked us on was too full.  So my H and I each got a $200 airline voucher and were guaranteed seats on the next flight, which was only two hours later.

I had a multi-day mystery shop assignment I've been doing, but it's not as much work as that sounds.  I had to make up to 3 phone calls over the last week.  Then go to their showroom last Friday.  Then I met one of their in-home consultants at my house last night.  That was the big chunk of time.  But the fee is $115 and the report doesn't have much narrative, so it's been worth my time.

I've been slowly lowering my "longer lasting" N insulin dosage.  I still don't understand why the dosages I've been taking for years were suddenly causing frequent low blood sugars, but it's been going on for weeks.  It's too soon to say, but "I think" I finally found the right dosage.  It's so weird.  My dosages have certainly changed over the years, but is usually related to some kind of lifestyle change.  But every once in awhile, a longer term pattern of too high or too low develops so I need to change my standard dosage, but there's no rhyme or reason for why it suddenly changed.  I'll have to ask my doctor at my next appointment "why" that can happen.  But I'm pretty sure it's just one of those things that can't be explained, once you rule out the usual suspects.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Today feels like Monday to me, but only because I couldn't do my regular work the last two days.  Now I'm trying to play catch up but keep getting further behind.

I woke up an hour before my alarm went off and felt really awake so I got up early and picked currants.  I have so many of them on my bushes this year - I've been freezing them and I'll be making scones for ages!  My black currant bush had so many.

I also had gooseberries this year.  Not my favourite - they tasted better eating them instead of baking with them.

• I’m tapped out at work. My manager is a narcissist and it’s exhausting. He asks for feedback but then immediately tries to convince you you’re wrong and you’re taking things the wrong way and it’s all in your head. I’m tired. And I have my mid year review with him this afternoon. 
    I hope it goes okay!  Maybe he'll surprise you by being decent.  Your manager does sound exhausting for sure!

• Greetings!

@mrsconn23 my sympathies for your loss.

Currently in the car about 2 hours into an 8 hour ride.   I'm missing the Disney magic but not the tons of what must be really short 12 year old kids.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2021
    @mrsconn23, I'm sorry to hear about the loss in your sister's family.  Defconn's school schedule sounds so weird.  Both that the school year is starting in July, the end of July but still July, and on a Thursday.  Is that how it usually is or did COVID alter things?

No, this is our normal schedule.  We're on a 'balanced calendar' which is like a hybrid between a traditional and year-round schooling schedule.   We get 2 weeks off for fall break and 2 weeks of spring break (vs only 1) and 8 weeks of summer break.  If we didn't have the additional weeks off, he'd start toward middle of Aug.  

I have a love-hate with it sometimes.  It's a long stretch in the beginning where he has no days off except for Labor Day for 2.5 months.  And I'd love to travel later in the summer. 

But the time off during the school year does allow us to travel, since we do like our fall break trips.  I do wish they'd do away with 2 weeks of fall break in Oct. I'd prefer they drop it to one week and then  give us the week of Thanksgiving off instead.  

I think the midweek start is from a standpoint of easing the transition from summer to school.  It's common around here to start midweek.  Most school districts do. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    @mrsconn23, I'm sorry to hear about the loss in your sister's family.  Defconn's school schedule sounds so weird.  Both that the school year is starting in July, the end of July but still July, and on a Thursday.  Is that how it usually is or did COVID alter things?

No, this is our normal schedule.  We're on a 'balanced calendar' which is like a hybrid between a traditional and year-round schooling schedule.   We get 2 weeks off for fall break and 2 weeks of spring break (vs only 1) and 8 weeks of summer break.  If we didn't have the additional weeks off, he'd start toward middle of Aug.  

I have a love-hate with it sometimes.  It's a long stretch in the beginning where he has no days off except for Labor Day for 2.5 months.  And I'd love to travel later in the summer. 

But the time off during the school year does allow us to travel, since we do like our fall break trips.  I do wish they'd do away with 2 weeks of fall break in Oct. I'd prefer they drop it to one week and then  give us the week of Thanksgiving off instead.  

I think the midweek start is from a standpoint of easing the transition from summer to school.  It's common around here to start midweek.  Most school districts do. 
    Thanks for satisfying my curiosity question!

School starts out here sometime during the first two weeks of August, depending on the school.  It's confusing because there are a lot of private schools here.  Plus charter and public schools.  But even the public schools don't necessarily start on the same day.  I've heard COVID also affected some start/end dates for this year.

School starting at the beginning of August was already surprising to me when I first moved out here because in CA, I'd never started school until after Labor Day until I got into college.  I also think all the schools in the district started/ended on the same day.  Or at least they did by type of school, ie elementary vs. HS.

I just realized my more mellow summer morning commute will be over in another 2-3 weeks.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Best of luck @charlotte989875.

The Olympics are frustrating. I think Simone Biles did the right thing to drop out when she felt she just couldn't handle it, but she's being skewered for it. 

Work is quiet. I think I prefer it that way after some frenetic days.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Simone’s critics can walk off a cliff, she did the right thing and once again sets an incredible example.  
    @mrsconn23 I’m sorry for your family’s loss

Very SSDD here