Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

2»

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    That really sucks @levioosa- how in the world is that a reasonable price?!
  • Options
    My company’s (privately owned, publicly traded) take has been that they can require vaccinations to come back to the office, but they’re trying to avoid being the first one to make that call. They also don’t want to be seen as “rewarding” people (ie letting them stay home longer) for not getting the vaccine.  
  • Options
    @ILoveBeachMusic in LA County you are already mandated to get the influenza vaccination annually or you face automatic termination. I don’t know how or why this is different. And don’t even get me started on the influenza vaccine stubbornness and misinformation. 

• Options
    The comments I've been reading on Facebook about vaccines and covid and vaccine passports .... I'm thinking of taking a break from reading other people's facebook posts for a bit just to avoid the nonsense.  I've had a couple times that I've started to post something and then stopped because I now they'll just dig in and my post will do nothing but start an argument.  

The one today pissed me off about vaccine passports.  The comment was that it is not a free country if you have to carry around a card whereever you go.  Umm .... Netherlands has required their citizens to carry ID whenever they leave the house since 2005.  It is definitely a free country.  Not once did I feel like it was an issue.  Sometimes the government makes rules, and they really aren't that big a deal at the end of the day. And the person that was posting was Dutch!  I just .... I don't know, I find myself not knowing what to say to people anymore.  Is that States thinking of doing vaccine passports, or is it more a Canada thing?

• Options
    So MIL tonight started in on the illegal immigrants bringing covid.   I used 4 letter words.  I can't.  
  • Options
    Hugs @mrsconn23

Great tattoo @VarunaTT

Two job rejections today. Two interviews tomorrow. 

Covid rates up big-time in Houston. 

Just hoping for something good to happen soon.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2021
    When I worked in the hospital/clinic setting, we were all required to take the flu shot, unless we had very specific reasons not to.  We had 2 people:  1 just always had to wait for a specific type of flu show b/c she had an immunocompromised husband (who also worked there).  They both took the shot once the special type was out (it had something to do with having active vs. inert virus, I think?).  The 2nd one had a proven allergic reaction 2 years in a row, so she was excused.  No one else was.  If you refused, you were furloughed w/out pay for 6 weeks, I think (basically the height of flu season).

ETA:  And I was just a secretary and still required to take it.
  • Options
    This I didn’t know @VarunaTT, about the required flu shots! 

• Options
    @Jen4948, good luck with your interviews tomorrow!

@kerbohl, I think that's more Canada.  Long before COVID, there have occasionally been state votes about having a law that people are required to carry an ID.  It's always been met with a lot of resistance.  Ironically, from both sides of the aisle.  Some of the concern is "muh freedoms".  But some of it, is that it's a discriminatory practice and could be used to target minorities.  For a vaccine passport specifically, I think Biden has already said they aren't going to do that.

On the flu shot.  This was before the pandemic, but was a shocking conversation.  I was at a Winn Dixie (grocery store chain) that I didn't normally go to and was looking for the pharmacy to get my flu shot.  I couldn't find it and assumed maybe that WD didn't have one, which seemed weird, but okay.  As I was leaving the store, I noticed there was a security guard at the entrance, so I asked him if they had a pharmacy because I was looking to get my flu shot.

He verified they did not have a pharmacy, but then told me I shouldn't get a flu shot.  In my utter shock that he would even say something like that, for whatever his reasons were, I couldn't help myself and asked him "why not?".  So then this kid less than half my age proceeds to "educate" me that a flu shot has some of the flu in it, so people can actually catch the flu from it.  I deadpan back, "Yes.  I'm aware of how vaccines...all vaccines...work.  But it's inactive in the shot so, no, people cannot get the flu from it.  And OBVIOUSLY I'm going to take my medical advise from my DOCTOR and not you."

In our current times and "debate" about the COVID vaccine, I sometimes think about that guy.  That's the level of stubbornness and misinformation we are facing.

"It's hard to argue against a genius.  It's impossible to argue against an idiot."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This I didn’t know @VarunaTT, about the required flu shots! 
    I think it varies from system to system, but I know that you have to jump through hoops at one of the major ones here if you don't want to get the flu shot and don't have a medical reason not to get one.  I'm not sure if they furlough people, but they take up your time if you try to avoid it.