Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

Nothing much to report.  Just the daily grind of my life.  I have switched back to my vegan meal plan.  I feel like I've lost 5 pounds from pooping alone.  TMI, but also kind of hilarious.  So much fiber.

Funny story:  I had send a thirst trap picture to LTF (long term fling is what I'm calling him).  Realized my damn teddy bear was in the shot after I sent it and started laughing at myself.  So sexy, right?  LTF and I had previously had a conversation re: thirst trap pics, hm...maybe a bit more than week ago?  He's not comfortable sending them (very valid personal reasons).  Then he goes and posts one on FB!!!  Granted, in the 5 years I've known him, I don't think I've ever seen a thirst trap pic on his timeline.  Then I started laughing, b/c I thought, "Do you comment on the thirst trap picture from someone who won't send you a thirst trap picture in response to yours?"  Decided I was thinking too hard about it and just put a gif comment.

I saved the pic though.  

:wink::smiley:

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    It's a wet Tuesday here. Apparently Fred is making its way up from the gulf coast. It's been storming all morning and expected to continue until tonight. I love the rain and am enjoying a break from the heat, but I didn't get to walk the dog this morning and she's acting like it. Making sure to charge all the electronics because we'll probably lose power at some point. 

I might need to adopt your vegan diet for a few days, because probiotics aren't doing their job anymore. 
  • Options
    Okay so what is a thirst trap picture for those of us who are really uncool? Like just super hot?

Hot (not the fun kind), dreary Tuesday. Work is busy, I have to put someone on an action plan and I hate that part of the job. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Okay, so I realized I didn't explain this well.

Remember when you have those friends that are just always searching for validation about their appearance or other things through dating?  And you called them thirsty? "damn, why are you so thirsty?" So thirst traps started off as being kind of an insult, that you were looking for validation from pics that were meant to get likes and such, thus trapping people into liking you.  Then it became a thing b/c it was people who were like, "Fuck yeah, I'm hot and I want to show it off" and so, thirst traps as a positive thing was born.  Now it's a hashtag on TikTok for you to find hot people to basically stare at.  And lesbian thirst trap is....whew.  

So, then the pics come in.  Like I said, they can be nudes, but usually what I see is the pics/videos that are hot AF that makes you say, "I want to see you nude."  
    Thirst trap is the kinder way of saying "attention whore".  :)  
  • Options
    I wish I had the confidence to post/ send thirsty pictures. Bravo to you @VarunaTT

@MyNameIsNot I hope Fred doesn't cause too many issues.

Laundry/ pre packing day here. Tonight there is a small dinner for the group of camp counselors I worked with as a teen. I have no idea how old my boss is now. He was old when I was a teenager, lol. 

Tomorrow I will swing by the blake shelton show to say hi to my union brothers and sisters. I am bummed I wasn't able see more of them while I was here.

If I find time today or tomorrow, I would still like to take DS to either the old train station where they have a small museum or to the local gardens where they have several trains of display. 
  • Options
    I view thirst traps so varying - like one would be normal, then dressed up and looking fine a.f

It's the ones that you're like "whew, fanning self!"

TikTok has some suggestive dances - not doing anything, but the implication of doing stuff?
    It's like .... teasing?
  • Options
    I view thirst traps so varying - like one would be normal, then dressed up and looking fine a.f

TikTok has some suggestive dances - not doing anything, but the implication of doing stuff?
    It's like .... teasing?
    That red light thing TikTok had going on for awhile was something.  My eyes bugged out of my head a lot during that trend.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

Remember when you have those friends that are just always searching for validation about their appearance or other things through dating?  And you called them thirsty? "damn, why are you so thirsty?" So thirst traps started off as being kind of an insult, that you were looking for validation from pics that were meant to get likes and such, thus trapping people into liking you.  Then it became a thing b/c it was people who were like, "Fuck yeah, I'm hot and I want to show it off" and so, thirst traps as a positive thing was born.  Now it's a hashtag on TikTok for you to find hot people to basically stare at.  And lesbian thirst trap is....whew.  

So, then the pics come in.  Like I said, they can be nudes, but usually what I see is the pics/videos that are hot AF that makes you say, "I want to see you nude."  
    Well this is the way to get me to join TikTok. 
  • Options
    I truly wish I drove. I had to pick up some stuff plus get coffee. It's been an hour, and my arms are still sore :\

Got the list of stuff for BK's preschool stuff and a bit of a run down on stuff. I'm waiting on an email about extended care confirmation.

Side note, has anyone ordered from Shein? I'm curious about quality because prices are so good. Too good?
    I'm in the process of revamping wardrobe and it's just .... idk. Nothing feels right. Maybe it's the weight gain. I don't wanna purchase too many things but I feel I'm missing stuff.
    Basics?
  • Options
    Well @mrsconn23 Deez Nutz is pretty funny. 

The anti-mask in schools thing is in full effect here too and school doesn’t start until after Labor Day. There are a bunch of lawn signs “Un-Mask Our Kids” around town and I just shake my head. Like does it really bother your kids that much, or is it you that has a political problem with this? 
  • Options
    I hear mixed things about Shein.  I wouldn't use it to update your wardrobe staples but would consider it for fun pieces that will date, wear out and can be tossed.  It seems like a less than sustainable site so I don't get great feelings about buying a ton of clothing that feels disposable. 

I'm BEAT.  We had the wake and funeral yesterday and now it's back to the grind plus figuring out WTF we're doing for Chiquito's birthday at the end of the month.
  • Options
    ((hugs)) @banana468

Everyone I know who's gotten stuff from Shein is happy with what they get for the price.  It does sound like it's decent for being cheap, fast fashion...but it's just that. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

Well this is the way to get me to join TikTok. 
    I'd be lying if I didn't get sucked into tiktok because of thirst traps!
  • Options
    Yeah @mrsconn23, I get a letter sent home about my kid using Deez Nutz, I’m giggling behind their backs too!

I’m in a lot of plastics fb groups, and a lot of the people on the groups love Shein @MissKittyDanger. Maybe like @banana468 suggested don’t use it for staples…

• Options
    @CharmedPam @banana468
    by staples I mean like a basic sweater like this:

Cable Knit Drop Shoulder Sweater | SHEIN

Would reading the reviews on the items help?

• Options
    I truly wish I drove. I had to pick up some stuff plus get coffee. It's been an hour, and my arms are still sore :\

Got the list of stuff for BK's preschool stuff and a bit of a run down on stuff. I'm waiting on an email about extended care confirmation.

Side note, has anyone ordered from Shein? I'm curious about quality because prices are so good. Too good?
    I'm in the process of revamping wardrobe and it's just .... idk. Nothing feels right. Maybe it's the weight gain. I don't wanna purchase too many things but I feel I'm missing stuff.
    Basics?
    Do you use Poshmark or thread up at all? I found a lot of great, cheap but high quality stuff on there when I was out of maternity clothes but my regular clothes still didn’t fit right. You might get better quality, second hand stuff at the same (or better) prices. 
  • Options

Basics?
    Do you use Poshmark or thread up at all? I found a lot of great, cheap but high quality stuff on there when I was out of maternity clothes but my regular clothes still didn’t fit right. You might get better quality, second hand stuff at the same (or better) prices. 
    I do this all the time. I'm not sure when the last time I bought strictly new clothes was, apart from undergarments.
  • Options

It's like .... teasing?
    Yes! And some are just like, what? 

I was mildly obsessed a few months ago with a woman who just folds laundry in front of a fire place. There's a thing I didn't know I was into. 
    lol! There's so many things that you learn on TikTok!
    There's one woman who I don't see them as thirst traps yet I'm still watching. 
    Look her up: melissa dilkes pateras - caulk tok lol
  • Options

Basics?
    I've gotta hit up some thrift stores soon, but none have winter stuff out yet.
    Poshmark and thred up mostly hate Canada {eye roll} but I'm sure there's similar ones
  • Options
    @CharmedPam @banana468

It's an acrylic, nylon, poly blend.   The likelihood that you'll get through winter with it not being loaded with extra pills and lint is really low IMO. 

If you want sweater staples I'm a big fan of well-rated natural fibers that are known to wear well and last.    Cotton is a natural fiber that washes well and often wears well.  You can even find cashmere sweaters now from decent web-based suppliers like Nadaam and Everlane for around $75.  

If it's black and cable you want I think this is a few dollars more and would last a bit longer: https://www.gapfactory.com/browse/product.do?pid=704459011&vid=1&tid=gfpl000003&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASprat_Sq6BSG5-12ijhNv0gavg3S4ydk2aDs3IH2GBStMHQ9Q9G6lAaAis1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#pdp-page-content 
  • Options

It's like .... teasing?
    Yes! And some are just like, what? 

I was mildly obsessed a few months ago with a woman who just folds laundry in front of a fire place. There's a thing I didn't know I was into. 
    lol! There's so many things that you learn on TikTok!
    There's one woman who I don't see them as thirst traps yet I'm still watching. 
    Look her up: melissa dilkes pateras - caulk tok lol
    Melissa is one of my favorites.  The "tits" stuff cracks me up too.  Also the Hannah bread lady.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    @CharmedPam @banana468

It's an acrylic, nylon, poly blend.   The likelihood that you'll get through winter with it not being loaded with extra pills and lint is really low IMO. 

If you want sweater staples I'm a big fan of well-rated natural fibers that are known to wear well and last.    Cotton is a natural fiber that washes well and often wears well.  You can even find cashmere sweaters now from decent web-based suppliers like Nadaam and Everlane for around $75.  

If it's black and cable you want I think this is a few dollars more and would last a bit longer: https://www.gapfactory.com/browse/product.do?pid=704459011&vid=1&tid=gfpl000003&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASprat_Sq6BSG5-12ijhNv0gavg3S4ydk2aDs3IH2GBStMHQ9Q9G6lAaAis1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#pdp-page-content 
    I LOVE everlane. I have some jeans that have held up so so we’ll from them!
  • Options
    Apparently I need to stop taking random vacay days.  The last one I took, my H dislocated his shoulder.  Which was bad enough.  But then I also got stuck taking his friend to the train station because of it.  Who had forgotten his ID.  So then it became 4 hours of driving between helping the friend and then picking my H back up at the hospital.

Annnddd yesterday also turned into a major s**t show (sigh).  The tenant who lives next door for my personal duplex gave us his 30-day notice.  We're pretty bummed.  He's a friend and an absolutely great tenant.  But, although he partially lives there, he also rents it out on AirBnB.  Needless to say, the AirBnB side of his business has been dismal during the pandemic.  TBH, some of that is his fault.  He's been neglecting it and it's been over-priced for the current market.  When the city cancelled Jazz Fest that had been rescheduled for Fall, it was the last straw.  He'd already had all the dates...it's three weekends long and some weekdays...totally booked up at $300-$400/night.  But, with the festival no longer going on, all those people understandably cancelled their bookings.

My H and I are thinking about changing our own rental strategy for it.  We are considering keeping it an AirBnb.  WITH a lower cost (per night) for whole month rentals.  That last part will be targeting traveling medical personnel.  We've heard NOLA has a demand for that kind of housing.  The MAJOR downside of that strategy is it will mean our own expenses will go up substantially.  We'll need to totally furnish the home.  We'll need to provide all the utilities, including cable and internet.  We'll earn a good bit more money for whenever it is occupied, whether with a traveling person or vacationer.  But, we'll also have times where we are earning less than a traditional renter.

Back to the upside.  It will give us so much more flexibility.  We kind of decided against selling our house right now...more on that in the next paragraph...but, if the right opportunity comes along, we would.  Plus, we still have tentative plans to leave NOLA in a couple years.

-----------------------------------------------------

You'd think that was bad enough.  Oh, but no.  I am just getting started on yesterday's s**t show.  My neighbor backed out of wanting to sell us her house.  Oh, okay.  Well thanks for stringing us along for SEVEN MONTHS (eyeroll).  It's also extra bad timing because over the last week, we'd actually become even more excited and interested in buying it, because we were going to fix up and move into the top floor and then sell our own house.

This was what happened.  A woman (S) who does some cleaning and other stuff around the house for them, said she should talk to her friend who is a real estate agent.  I don't even get it!  This neighbor's biggest thing was she wanted to stay living in her house that she's owned for 50 years until she passes away.  She also didn't want to be saddled with property insurance, property taxes, and maintenance anymore.  But she met with the REA who either has NO IDEA, WHAT she is talking about or is trying to scam our friend to get the listing.  I suspect the latter, though it could be both.

REA told our neighbor (N) that she should be able to get $200K-$250K than it is actually worth.  I think the REA is trying to lure our friend in with "look how much money you will walk away with", just to get the listing.  And then, when there is no interest or buyers come along offering substantially less, the REA will start "re-evaluating" what it's worth and encourage N to take the much lower offers.  Because a 4% commission on something is better than nothing.

N's plan is to then go buy a new, smaller house in good condition and with cash.  Sure, there's something to be said for that.  I would have offered her a similar deal that would have allowed her to do that.  But that was never remotely what she said she wanted.  The pitfalls are she and her roommate (decades long friend) are hoarders.  She couldn't buy another house until she sells this one.  So they would need to figure out temporary lodgings between the sale of her house, while she looked to buy another one.  They aren't physically able to pack, much less move.  They would need to hire all of that out.  Twice.  Her property taxes will also go way up.  Where we live, you can put a freeze on your property taxes once you turn 65.  That was 20 years ago for N.  She could certainly put a property tax freeze on her new house.  But, of course, that freeze would be at the current rate.

Emotionally and financially, she would be substantially better off taking the deal we'd already made.  BUT.  I can't tell her any of that.  Especially in regards to the ridiculously high price the REA told her.  Because I'm not a neutral third party.  She's just going to have to figure that out herself the hard way.  Or she could look...just a little bit...into it.  She doesn't use the Internet, but she could pay a few hundred bucks and get an appraisal.  Or have a neutral friend sit with her and show her nearby listings on realtor.com.  Especially houses in poor condition.  Google house renovation costs.  20-30 minutes of research, she'd see exactly what we are talking about.

My H and I are angry.  We're upset at our friend for stringing us along for months.  And we're also angry for her.  She's having smoke blown up her ass by a lying and/or incompetent REA.  But that's also her fault because it doesn't sound like she is going to do one iota of research herself.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Re: Shein, it’s okay but the quality is very cheap. They also get a little iffy on returns and shipping can take a really long time, just FYI. I’ve known multiple people whose orders have taken 4-6 weeks to arrive. I’ve had pretty good success with FashionNova which is in a similar spot price wise. So far the quality has been okay. Nothing that’s going to last me 10 years, but I’m okay with it. 

@mrsconn23 good vibes for SIL. Im dying at “deez nutz.” Like what did they expect from a bunch of 5th graders? Kudos to you because I’m 99% sure I wouldn’t be able to keep a straight face while reprimanding my child for that. 

Work today. FI decides tonight if he wants to proceed with his master’s program. FMIL is still feeling unwell with fevers up to 102 F which is high considering her age. They got the pulse ox we primed over to them and her O2 sat has been good so far (according to them). Otherwise nothing else is really going on. My cousin’s fiancée’s bridal shower is next week. I’m feeling ambivalent about it with my aunt being in chemo. I’m personally going to get tested on Wednesday before I go on Saturday. It’s not much, but it’s something. I’m also considering getting a booster dose of the vaccine on Friday. 

• Options
    Yikes @short+sassy and she has no family members to say “so and so told you WHaT?!? No.  That’s not going to happen”. ?