Wedding Party

Any special ideas to ask father to be the best man?

My fiance has been wanting to ask his dad to be his best man at our wedding and I think it's a great idea! However, he wants to do something really special, but can't think of anything. I've looked up some things online and haven't came up with anything. Does any have any suggestions? The more the better!

Re: Any special ideas to ask father to be the best man?

• I think the best bet is to be sincere.  

IMO - there's SO MUCH about trying to over-do asking or presenting to the point that fires are now started with baby gender reveals.  

I think taking the dad out for a drink and just asking is really the best.  
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd just ask, and when they're one-on-one. The wedding party proposals and baskets full of personalized "will you be bridesmaid?" wine glasses or whatever else are stressful- I've turned down being a BM twice and was thankful it wasn't a group thing or anything over the top. 
  • He just wants to do something special for his dad, something meaningful.
    The most meaningful thing is going to be speaking from his heart. Copying something that you find on pinterest or forcing a proposal is going to be less special and less meaningful. 
    The most meaningful thing is going to be speaking from his heart. Copying something that you find on pinterest or forcing a proposal is going to be less special and less meaningful. 
    Exactly.  

My H when he proposed didn't do something he saw in a movie.  He did something in a way that was heartfelt.  

Your FI can consider the things that he and his dad does together that are special to the two of them and then ask him while doing that thing.   I'll be honest that most people I know - but especially men - do not like a contrived production.

I get it - it's a big deal.  But sometimes the best big deals are done in simple ways.  
    Yep. We're not going to be able to tell you what additional circumstances would be meaningful to your FI's dad.

For example, the most important thing about my proposal was that my now-H wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. A secondary circumstance was that he chose the place I had told him several years before was my favorite place on our college campus, and that he wasn't allowed to break up with me there. So he did the "opposite," as it were.

We can't tell you what that sort of thing would be for him. Only your FI is going to know that. And beyond that, it will be most touching just for him to know that this is how your FI sees their relationship.