Wedding Woes

You should say no, but you can't stop the fallout.

Dear Prudence,

I have never gotten along with my younger step-sisters. Their father never disciplined them or made them do chores. My mother always expected me to set a “good example,” which meant I was more the live-in babysitter than the actual part of the family. I got into an accelerated college program at 16 and moved into the dorms. My visits home were fast and furious.

I am 24 now, with my masters, and have just bought a townhouse near my alma mater (I work for a company that has a contract with the college). Ground floor is the living area; two bedrooms, one bath on the second; and an open loft on top with a private bathroom.

My 18-year-old stepsister got accepted into my college, but our parents can’t afford the dorm fees or to help with rent. They “need” her to move in with me and I “have to” because she is “family.”

My stepsister has never worked a day in her life, is a huge slob, and sounds like a herd of elephants when she gets up in the morning (her childhood room was above mine). As of last Christmas, we got into an argument over her tracking mud on the floor I just cleaned and stealing the leftovers of the lunch I bought—her winning response was to whine to Daddy.

I would rather burn my home to the ground than live with someone like that. The bind is my stepfather and mother did support me somewhat during school, even though I had money from my late father and worked. I do feel an obligation of sorts. And I would not like to start a family feud.

A friend suggested I offer to match what my stepsister makes when she gets a part time job and only if I see the paycheck. I could afford that to a point. What should I do?

— Home Alone

Re: You should say no, but you can't stop the fallout.

• You may be in for a lose/lose situation here.  Only you can determine what is worth it now. 

What other options are there?  IMO, you shouldn't be forced to do this without your consent.  Are there opportunities through the college or work studies that can help defray the cost?  
  • I don't think LW should do this out of obligation that their parents helped them during college.  I do wonder if LW is judging this situation more harshly due to the story they've told themselves about their formative years.  I mean, losing a parent is devastating and then having a whole new family foisted upon you is a lot.  I wonder if LW has set themselves up to be adversarial with this younger sister because of all that and it's just cemented because of LW leaving and not looking back for the most part. 

LW should try to find any other alternative.  But they can't say no and also not have family discord.  It's not how this is going to work.  However no one can force LW to let stepsister live in their house.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I don't think LW should do this out of obligation that their parents helped them during college.  I do wonder if LW is judging this situation more harshly due to the story they've told themselves about their formative years.  I mean, losing a parent is devastating and then having a whole new family foisted upon you is a lot.  I wonder if LW has set themselves up to be adversarial with this younger sister because of all that and it's just cemented because of LW leaving and not looking back for the most part. 

LW should try to find any other alternative.  But they can't say no and also not have family discord.  It's not how this is going to work.  However no one can force LW to let stepsister live in their house.  
    The only possible way I can see this working is if there's some agreement for the Step sister to both work and attempt to supplement rent in a way with the provision that she can be kicked out if she doesn't live up to her end of the bargain.  

But I'll be honest and say that it sounds like a recipe for disaster and LW has to figure out which is worse for her. 
  • Student loans exist for reason. 

You don’t have to take her in, or pay for anything you don’t want to. You’re not obligated to make her finances work. If you want to supplement her income that’s fine but it doesn’t sound like any of this is going to end well. 
  • I just had to tell a friend this.

It is okay to tell your family no.  

You don't have to participate in a family feud either.  Bean dip, change the subject, or grayrock them.  You're an adult, you've obviously done well for yourself, and you don't have to share with anyone you don't want to, family or not.
  • Lie and say you've gotten a roommate. 
  • Student loans exist for reason. 

You don’t have to take her in, or pay for anything you don’t want to. You’re not obligated to make her finances work. If you want to supplement her income that’s fine but it doesn’t sound like any of this is going to end well. 
    This!  All day long.

The LW shouldn't feel any obligation to house her stepsister.  Especially for free!  That is some serious bs right there.  That needs to be an emphatic "no" and we aren't discussing it anymore.  I wouldn't go into the stepsister's faults.  Just say they have worked hard, saved, and planned so that they can live without roommates.  And that includes the sister.

What the LW could do...if they are okay with this...is offer to take the stepsister to the college's finance office to see what options are available to her.  Help her understand the terms (if applicable).  Invite her to dinner sometimes.  Maybe let her do her laundry at the LW's house.  Those are also some nice ways to help, if they want to, without it taking over the LW's life. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I see another option - if you can't afford to live at the college, you can't afford that college.  Step sister should have crunched those numbers.  Looks like she is going to community college in her  town so she can live at home.  Or, do what I did - take a gap year while living at home, save every cent you can, and use that to pay for housing.  She shouldn't be expecting a free ride, and the parents are wrong to force LW to be expected to do this.

• kerbohl said:
    I see another option - if you can't afford to live at the college, you can't afford that college.  Step sister should have crunched those numbers.  Looks like she is going to community college in her  town so she can live at home.  Or, do what I did - take a gap year while living at home, save every cent you can, and use that to pay for housing.  She shouldn't be expecting a free ride, and the parents are wrong to force LW to be expected to do this.
    Good point.  It's akin to complaining about the cost of a tip for a restaurant putting you over budget.  If it does then the restaurant is out of your budget.
  • Be firm: No, she can't live with you. She'll have to find gainful employment and/or get financial aid.
  • kerbohl said:
    I see another option - if you can't afford to live at the college, you can't afford that college.  Step sister should have crunched those numbers.  Looks like she is going to community college in her  town so she can live at home.  Or, do what I did - take a gap year while living at home, save every cent you can, and use that to pay for housing.  She shouldn't be expecting a free ride, and the parents are wrong to force LW to be expected to do this.
    She shouldn’t be expecting a free ride and she should exhaust grants, loans, work study but at many colleges in the US working for a year won’t cover tuition for 4. 

And so what’s the option for low income families and students who get into elite, but expensive colleges? They can’t go because they can’t afford it? It reinforces wealth and power structures that are already too rigid and too powerful in this country. 
  • kerbohl said:
    She shouldn’t be expecting a free ride and she should exhaust grants, loans, work study but at many colleges in the US working for a year won’t cover tuition for 4. 

And so what’s the option for low income families and students who get into elite, but expensive colleges? They can’t go because they can’t afford it? It reinforces wealth and power structures that are already too rigid and too powerful in this country. 
    Many elite colleges have excellent financial aid too. And something about this letter to me suggests that quite possibly this family can afford their expected family contribution and simply prefer to mooch off LW. 
  • kerbohl said:

Many elite colleges have excellent financial aid too. And something about this letter to me suggests that quite possibly this family can afford their expected family contribution and simply prefer to mooch off LW. 
    Yup that’s my guess too- and LW should shut it down immediately.