Wedding Woes

Distance and therapy

Dear Prudence,

I am almost 70 years old and was alone for six years when I finally tried online dating. I met a very sweet divorced man, and we’ve been married for just over a year. My older sister, who previously was very close to me, took an instant dislike to him. She started spreading bigoted, untrue lies about him to my other siblings and mutual friends. Example: She didn’t like that he had a southern accent (duh) or that he’s opposite politically from her (as am I). Everyone I’ve mentioned this to all say they feel like she’s jealous because now she doesn’t have me at her beck and call. I am beyond hurt because of all my siblings, I thought she would be happy that I’m happy after some very lonely years. Our relationship is now surface cordial, and while I’ve given up the anger I held, I’m having trouble moving on from the hurt and forgiving her. I’m very happy with my life now, but definitely need some strategies so I don’t obsess about this all the time.

Thanks!

— Still the Little Sister

Re: Distance and therapy

• Find other things to occupy your time...like time with the beau. 
  • It’s sucks your relationship with your sister has gotten to this point, but you can’t put your happiness on hold for someone else. If you feel like you would get something out of telling her how you feel, then by all means do that, but if you don’t think any further conversations will help you then it’s fine to continue a surface relationship and fill your time with other things that do serve you.