Wedding Woes

First thing, do you WANT to go?

Dear Prudence,

I moved out when I was 17 because of emotional and some physical abuse, and I have lived with my partner, “Damien,” in the two years since. I have maintained a relationship with my parents because my little sister lives with them, and I need to ensure her safety, because part of me still loves them, and because I am still on their health insurance. My mother hates my partner. Because of this, I’ve scaled back my involvement in family functions, and Damien only comes when my sister asks him to (she loves him like a brother). At a dinner with Damien present, my mother invited me, and only me, to a three-week long family cross-country RV trip. She says she will pay my way, and our rent for the month. I am conflicted. My instinct says this is intended as a snub to my partner, especially considering the rudeness of the invitation. But my extended family thinks I would be in the wrong to decline such a generous gift, my sister would be disappointed, and it’s also my understanding that family trips like this aren’t necessarily known to include partners if unmarried. Would it be unreasonable to decline a trip without my partner when my mother’s justification is that it’s not because she doesn’t like him, it’s because there’s no space in the RV? Damien, by the way, says it’s up to me, but prefers that I not attend.

— Confused About Vacation Etiquette

Re: First thing, do you WANT to go?

• I adore my parents and I can't see myself enjoying a 3 week RV trip with them.  LW's parents have been emotionally and physically abusive?  Hell no.  The rest doesn't even matter.
  • Yeah 3 weeks for any vacation is overkill for me.  Can LW just do part of it?  Go for a week. If LW has a job, blame work and say its busy and they can’t get that much time off. 

• Do you want to go? Does Damien? Start there. If one or both of you’d not want to go then the answer is easy. Don’t go. 

If you do want to go, and so Damien this gets trickier. I wouldn’t expect to be invited on a family vacation with a boyfriend but now that we’re married I’d be pissed if my H wasn’t invited- so I guess for me it depends on how much you consider Damien to be family?
  • This is abusive and manipulative as hell. 

• 3 weeks trapped in an RV with abusive parents. Why would you want to do that? 
  • Disrespect toward your partner aside, you moved out before your were even legally an adult to escape your parents' abuse, and it sounds like you've been cautious dealing with them since then. Do you even feel safe spending 3 weeks in such close quarters with them? While I agree that it's rude of them to exclude your partner, your safety and comfort is the bigger question here.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2021
    I wonder if LW is contemplating this, knowing it will likely be bad for them, because of their sister.  It sounds like LW wants to go as a shield/buffer for sister since they still stay in contact for sister.  I don't think it's the best idea, but I wonder if it's the thought process. 

LW needs to do what's best for them.  They can only do so much for underage sister and have put themselves in a good position with her by keeping the door open.  That's about the best they can do. 

The trip sounds like an utter nightmare. 
  • Oh crap.  I don’t know why - but i thought abuse was from LW’s partner.  I didnt put 2 and 2 together.

so easy peasy “thanks but no thanks”.  And maybe LW’a little sis doesnt want to go? “Want to stay with us while they’re on vaca?”

• You couldn't pay me to go on a 3 DAY RV trip with my parents. 
  • I have lived w/ family for 6+ wks at a time for RV trips.  NOoooooo.
    Thar's all I've got to say. NO.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
    (I would totes RV w/ my fam again.  kinda.  But not w/ abousive fucks. It is TO HARD
  • You couldn't pay me to go on a 3 DAY RV trip with my parents. 
    I love my parents - and - my idea of "Roughing it" is a hotel with the room door to the outside of the building...  NO WAY on ANY length RV trip for me!

Either LW likes the concept of an RV trip or they don't...Three weeks seems long for LW to be away from their own employer...