Wedding Woes
Options

Ohh LW, you didn't do anything wrong.

Dear Prudence,

​​I am a Black female attorney located in the “upper South.” I work at a predominately white firm. I am the most senior attorney of color, which isn’t saying much because I am one of two attorneys of color at the firm. Recently at a firm outing, a much younger, white, and female associate used the word “ratchet” to describe a recent experience. I was taken aback by her use of the term, but I didn’t question the use, not because I thought her use was okay but because I was the only Black woman within earshot. I didn’t feel comfortable asking her what she meant by the use of the term because I feared being labeled as the angry Black woman attacking a much junior, white attorney, and I feared the possibility that my question would invoke the tears so many white women conjure when “confronted.” I’ve also been very straightforward with my workplace when it comes to deferring to me on topics of race. This might have been a “teachable” moment for both her and my colleagues within earshot, but I have long declined to pick up the mantle of educating my white colleagues on Black people or our experience in the U.S.

Later, I was able to talk to a white female colleague who I consider to be an ally and confidant who heard the term and likewise flinched at the use, which made me feel okay about my approach. The same colleague also plans to sit down with our younger colleague and let her know the term isn’t appropriate. I think I feel fine with my lack of response and my colleague’s plan to speak with the person because the intent wasn’t malicious (not that it really matters), and the younger associate lacks an overall level of maturity which makes her use of the term consistent with my past experiences with her. This interaction is just the first that carried a racial undertone. Finally, the area in which I live and am not originally from “produces” people exactly like her: They are born in the area, they are educated from primary to graduate school at institutions in the area, and they return to live and work in the area where they were born. Her use of the term and perhaps ignorance of its connotations is in many ways par for the course. So knowing that, was I wrong for not calling her out? Have we set a precedent that her use of the term and those similar or adjacent to it are acceptable? Should I have used the “teachable” moment? Why does my lack of response feel more uncomfortable than her use of the term?

— Triggered but Silent

Re: Ohh LW, you didn't do anything wrong.

• Options
    Let your white colleague who noticed this do the teaching this time. 
  • Options
    I grew up in the upper south and have no idea what this word means other than the tool and verb used when the tool is used. Could someone please explain it to me - when I googled it, it came up with the definition I know.
  • Options
    I grew up in the upper south and have no idea what this word means other than the tool and verb used when the tool is used. Could someone please explain it to me - when I googled it, it came up with the definition I know.
    Ditto to this.  All new to me. Is it different from the word “Ratched”? 

• Options
    I know this word solely as describing something bad or offputting. 

Why is it inappropriate? 
  • Options
    Uncouth, inappropriate. Usually referencing a woman.  Can be used in place of 'ghetto'.  
  • Options
    I don't think this black woman needs to feel one iota of requirement to do the emotional labor to educate anyone, including this young white woman.

Absolutely let the other white woman take the lead on this particular issue and LW protect herself from all of the very things she's afraid of.  If it were me, I wouldn't even consult with LW, b/c it doesn't matter if there are no PoC around...it's still inappropriate term to be using (in any setting, but especially in a professional setting) and I will call someone in/out as the matter requires.
  • Options
    Poor LW.  I'm so glad she had a co-worker to be an ally and took over on putting younger co-worker in her place. 

Honestly, I think LW should keep that co-worker in their back pocket and try to find other allies. It's OK for white women to do this kind of emotional labor and call out people on behalf of marginalized people.  It's the least we can do. 

LW needs to remember their safety comes first.  If it feels unsafe to speak up in the moment (professionally or personally), they need to know that it's OK.  

Maybe younger co-worker is other LW's niece (j/k). 
  • Options
    Okay, LW, this is the most well-written Prudie letter I've ever read.

Glad she has an ally who can speak to the co-worker, a conversation has to happen and this shouldn't have to be on her.  
  • Options
    Yep. I was picturing that this woman had said. "Let's rachet up our efforts towards X" and while I can't say I use the verb often I was very confused about what I was doing wrong if/when I do. Looked it up and discovered it as the adjective others have described.
  • Options
    Yep. I was picturing that this woman had said. "Let's rachet up our efforts towards X" and while I can't say I use the verb often I was very confused about what I was doing wrong if/when I do. Looked it up and discovered it as the adjective others have described.
    That's where I am too.  I admit I did not know the other meanings of the word. 
  • Options
    Being the POC in a room does not obligate you to give your emotional labor, LW. It would be nice if your colleagues make a habit of stepping in to do the teaching, but the obligation does not fall on you if they don't. 
  • Options
    The LW certainly doesn't need to take on the mantle of explaining inappropriate words/phrases if she isn't comfortable.  But the negative side of that is the ignorance will remain.  I'm guessing that is why not saying anything felt "wrong" to herself.

I mean, look at how many people on this board...myself included...had never heard of ratchet as anything but a tool.  Or, in @flantastic's great example, an often used phrased that is still metaphorically referencing a tool.

@CharmedPam, asked if it was a meaning like "Ratched".  I have heard that word but, to me, it is a different word.  It's a similar sound and spelling, but not even the same as ratchet or the past tense, ratcheted.  But even the negative word, "ratched", although it has the same definition for me, was not a word I realized came from racism and hadn't associated it with that.  Though I do associate it with a gender bias because it is almost always used as a negative adjective for a woman.

------------------------------------

Here's my story of having zero idea about a racist term.  Though it was two older, white guys that set me straight and educated me.

In the early days of my current job, the IT person set up a new main printer for the office and named it "Spook" (a very racist word, but I didn't know that at the time).  People everywhere started flipping out and the office was abuzz with whispers.  "I can't believe Bob did that."  "OMG, what is he thinking!?!"  "He needs to change the name, it is horrible."

So, I knew people were shocked and horrified about the printer name.  But had no idea why and was totally confused.  I finally went and spoke to the two other people in my department that I was also friendly with.  Here was the conversation:

Me:  "Hey, do you all know what is going on with that printer?  I know people are really upset about the name, but I don't know why."

Guys (both looking at me shocked, like I had just stomped a puppy): "You don't know what's wrong with the name?"

Me:  "No. Is it because it's referencing the supernatural?  I know New Orleans is really Catholic, but that still seems over the top."

Guys:  "Do you know what spook means?"

Me:  "Ummm...it's another word for ghost?"

Guys (looking relieved that I'm not a monster and only clueless):  "No!  It's a racist term against black people.  Have you never heard it before?"

Me:  "OMG, wow!  Thanks, now I understand why people are so upset.  No, I have never in my life heard spook as a racist term."   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The LW certainly doesn't need to take on the mantle of explaining inappropriate words/phrases if she isn't comfortable.  But the negative side of that is the ignorance will remain.  I'm guessing that is why not saying anything felt "wrong" to herself.

I mean, look at how many people on this board...myself included...had never heard of ratchet as anything but a tool.  Or, in @flantastic's great example, an often used phrased that is still metaphorically referencing a tool.

@CharmedPam, asked if it was a meaning like "Ratched".  I have heard that word but, to me, it is a different word.  It's a similar sound and spelling, but not even the same as ratchet or the past tense, ratcheted.  But even the negative word, "ratched", although it has the same definition for me, was not a word I realized came from racism and hadn't associated it with that.  Though I do associate it with a gender bias because it is almost always used as a negative adjective for a woman.

------------------------------------

Here's my story of having zero idea about a racist term.  Though it was two older, white guys that set me straight and educated me.

In the early days of my current job, the IT person set up a new main printer for the office and named it "Spook" (a very racist word, but I didn't know that at the time).  People everywhere started flipping out and the office was abuzz with whispers.  "I can't believe Bob did that."  "OMG, what is he thinking!?!"  "He needs to change the name, it is horrible."

So, I knew people were shocked and horrified about the printer name.  But had no idea why and was totally confused.  I finally went and spoke to the two other people in my department that I was also friendly with.  Here was the conversation:

Me:  "Hey, do you all know what is going on with that printer?  I know people are really upset about the name, but I don't know why."

Guys (both looking at me shocked, like I had just stomped a puppy): "You don't know what's wrong with the name?"

Me:  "No. Is it because it's referencing the supernatural?  I know New Orleans is really Catholic, but that still seems over the top."

Guys:  "Do you know what spook means?"

Me:  "Ummm...it's another word for ghost?"

Guys (looking relieved that I'm not a monster and only clueless):  "No!  It's a racist term against black people.  Have you never heard it before?"

Me:  "OMG, wow!  Thanks, now I understand why people are so upset.  No, I have never in my life heard spook as a racist term."   
    So the term ratcheted comes from racism. Could you explain how/where? I remember your story about the printer. It made me think about a person with whom I grew up. His nickname and the name he still goes by(at least with friends and on social media) is Spook. I don't even know what his real name is. He is now a 60 something white man living in the south. I also have no idea how he came about this nickname. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Here's the thing, y'all:  okay, you didn't know the word ratchet to mean anything but the noun.  That is okay, ignorance is a real, not necessary thing to be judged.

But if someone said, "That woman is completely ratchet, look at her hair and nails", you would 100% know that the word you know, is not the word that woman means.  And that woman using it, 100% didn't mean the tool and she knew it and some of us knew it too.

The issue of emotional labor is that, a lot of times, there is only one PoC in the rooms a lot of white people exist in.  That one person doesn't need to be a spokesperson or educator about some sort of "black experience collective" for all of the other white people, no matter if it's actual racism or ignorance.  That's why I said, LW doesn't need to do the emotional labor.  Black people, and very specifically black women, are often times expected and trained through racist structures to do emotional labor for white people.  I would venture to guess that's why LW felt uncomfortable, because she laid a boundary for herself and it's hard to honor boundaries even you make against internalized oppressive structures.
    Yep, I would know that had I been in the room. I'm just saying that from the letter, I had no idea in what context the word was used, and then worried that I was unintentionally using a word in a racist way. So I looked it up.

If I had had S&S' experience, I would 100% think it was my job, and not the job of any POC in the room, to go say to the IT guy "hey what is this printer name about, dude." And honestly would wonder why any other white folks who were sniping about it about the office hadn't already done it. It sucks that LW is questioning whether she should have done something, considering she already knows that she doesn't/shouldn't have to do this.
  • Options
    Oh man, I went looking on Google for the etiology and someone did a whole thesis on it:

https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/rampley_christa_a_201705_ma.pdf

I've been skimming and it's interesting in terms of language development.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Here's the thing, y'all:  okay, you didn't know the word ratchet to mean anything but the noun.  That is okay, ignorance is a real, not necessary thing to be judged.

But if someone said, "That woman is completely ratchet, look at her hair and nails", you would 100% know that the word you know, is not the word that woman means.  And that woman using it, 100% didn't mean the tool and she knew it and some of us knew it too.

The issue of emotional labor is that, a lot of times, there is only one PoC in the rooms a lot of white people exist in.  That one person doesn't need to be a spokesperson or educator about some sort of "black experience collective" for all of the other white people, no matter if it's actual racism or ignorance.  That's why I said, LW doesn't need to do the emotional labor.  Black people, and very specifically black women, are often times expected and trained through racist structures to do emotional labor for white people.  I would venture to guess that's why LW felt uncomfortable, because she laid a boundary for herself and it's hard to honor boundaries even you make against internalized oppressive structures.
    I get that if I was in the room I would know it wasn't the definition I knew. Like @flantastic, I would worry about if I had used it in a derogatory manner.