Wedding Woes
Options

I have more questions regarding LW's choices than the issues they have with these ladies.

Dear Prudence,

I’m a young white woman who recently moved to a predominantly white, wealthy neighborhood. I also have a disability. The area is beautiful, but not very walkable, and my disability prevents me from driving. I’ve been fortunate to find some ladies through church and volunteer groups who are willing to shuttle me around (grocery shopping, medical appointments, trips to the bank).

The problem is that these older, well-meaning white ladies make some truly insensitive blunders when discussing race. Most recent was the one who described her son’s black friends as “ghetto,” but it’s happened from several sources now, and I’m starting to doubt my ability to find an innocent party. (They also make ableist comments, but I feel more justified ignoring those.)

I’m confident calling out racism from friends and strangers. I can feel the words jump to my throat when I hear these things, but I hesitate. If I offend these women—if they’re uncomfortable spending time with me—I lose my access to food and medical care.

I’m so torn. I know what is right, and I’m questioning my ability to do it. I hate that the people I “blend in” with are the ones spreading ignorance, and that I’m now dependent on them for my wellbeing. I’m sure I’ll find good people here eventually, but in the meantime, how can I challenge the status quo without risking my basic needs? Or do I need to accept the risk, and do it anyway?

— Willing and Disabled

Re: I have more questions regarding LW's choices than the issues they have with these ladies.

• Options
    You don’t have to talk to an Uber driver/ Instacart delivery. 

Look, LW knows it’s wrong, knows they should address it and are choosing not to. You have to own your choices and yours is this. This country’s public transportation system is abelsit AF no question- but you’ve set yourself up to be dependent on neighbors and that seems incredibly risky. 
  • Options
    Agree that if LW has enough money to live in that neighborhood, she has enough money for an Uber. I don't get why she moved somewhere she knew she couldn't get around on her own - that almost stood out to me more than anything else. 
  • Options
    She probably wouldn't offend anyone if she treated it more like giving a "helpful education" sometimes.  Like, "I know you didn't mean it this way Ms. Smith (yeah, right).  But be careful using the word ghetto.  It now has negative, racial overtones."

But, yes.  Those can be the problems people run into when they are USERS, who take advantage of people and their kindnesses.  You have to put up with their racism, able-ism, and/or any other traits the LW doesn't like.  You're not a saint here, LW.  You chose to move somewhere, knowing you would have to depend on strangers constantly doing you free favors, so that you can run basic errands.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker