Wedding Woes

Monday

No Monday thread yet?

Re: Monday

• Is anyone following the Gabby Petito case?
    Her body was found. Dude's missing. They're calling his house a crime scene now.
    Wtf ...

Weekend was good but busy, which was half expected but this weekend had a bit more.
    After M dropped BK off from gymnastics, he went to my coworker's place to pick up a table and bags of clothes.
    Good thing too because I feel like some 2T leggings don't fit great - but the jeans do. I wish they had 2.5T lol
    I'm sending a bunch of clothes to my mum's place also, that way I don't have to worry about BK not having anything there.

BK did a happy dance when she saw one of her teachers :) It was so cute.

Sunday was lowkey. We anticipated BK being tired, so I didn't wanna push.
  • I've been following the Gabby Petito case somewhat obsessively. I actually cried when they confirmed it was her body yesterday. Something with her story hits a little too close to home. 
  • We've been following the Gabby Petito case.  It seems now that the boyfriend did it right?  I feel so bad for her family and as a parent it's my worst nightmare.   

Weekend was nice!  Saturday DS had soccer and then we had dinner at the marina with the ILs.  FIL and MIL said things appear to still be festering on his side of the family and I really feel bad for him. In a group chat I witnessed a lot of people say things that I think they're regretting now.   It is a bad look. 

Sunday we took a boat ride with the kids and the day was GORGEOUS.  We needed more like it! 

You'd think that I would have slept well but NOOOO.  I tossed and turned from 3:30 on and I think I'm going to crash early tonight. 
  • my weekend was good.  ILs were in town (drove in from CA - got in late Thursday night, left Sunday afternoon ....eyeroll). B was up there all day Fri, Sat, and Sunday afternoon. I had a good time, got to hang out with a friend Sat and Sunday. We played pickleball Sunday - my first time, her second. It was fun but man I'm sooooo sore. And I tripped and cut my leg and pulled a calf muscle while playing.  I'm a hot mess attempting to walk around today 
  • Ugh hope your son feels better soon @Casadena what a way to return to work
    Feel better soon @kvruns
    Yay for all the fun/productive weekends!  The kids had soccer saturday morning (this year they're all in the same age group, same place same time so we're playing soccer this year.  (If it's inconvenient it doesn't happen, lol).  Sat afternoon was a welcome back bbq at my kids' school.  I was on icee's...it was kind of hot but I had it made in the shade elbow deep in a cooler.  I was on icees at the last PTA event too, some of the kids started calling me the icee lady instead of <insert kids' name>'s mommy.  Sunday the kids and I went to the earliest mass (7:30 at my church) then had a brunch visit at my parents' house.  Yesterday afternoon was our town street fair and after that it was making a bunch of chicken cutlets and prepping a tray of vegetarian sheet pan fajitas, so dinner for for our two busiest weeknights is set. 
    My heart has been beating out of my chest for about two hours now, I actually popped into our school nurse to see if I seemed okay...she said it's most likely stress bc it's not accompanied with other symptoms that could indicate something more serious.  STBXH is so badly unraveling and weekends are the worst so I'm not surprised, but still...ugh
  • I feel like today is the kind of day where I should have taken a vacation day to recover from my weekend. Weekend was busy, but good. Saturday we got some things done around the house, grocery shopped, and then went to a game and dinner. Yesterday we got up early and went up to the mountains. We did a 6 mile hike and then had dinner by the campfire before driving back. It was great, but it was 12 before we got home, cleaned up and in bed. 

Nothing much else going on today; I'm just trying to be moderately productive until 5. Then a quick trip to home depot, make an easy dinner and bed early. 
  • The Gabby Petito case makes me feel some sort of way.  I think it's because my friend's niece (I think?) went missing last week and she's not white and blonde, so there was scant news coverage. (she was found, thankfully, and is OK)  Also, this season's "Up and Vanished" is about missing and murdered indigenous women and how hard it is to get anyone to take those disappearances seriously.  So to see the case blow up nationally just...reinforces who gets coverage and who does not.  That said, it's very sad and the audio from the cops who pulled them over is tough to listen to knowing where she ended up.  Maybe if they'd arrested her for domestic assault (which is NOT great), she'd been able to have her family come get her? It's also very upsetting his family is stone-walling and he's in the wind at the moment. 

Weekend was pretty good.  I wish I'd gotten better sleep, but otherwise we had a good time.  DH and I sat on our deck on Friday night cracking each other up and listening to music.  Saturday, my family came over for fall bday.  Sunday, our friends came over to watch football.  I made a potato bar yesterday and it was a massive hit.  

I'm so glad my next therapy appt is tomorrow because my anxiety is flaring majorly.  Catastrophic thoughts abound.  Ugh.  Working out on my lunch break did help because I was down the path of an anxiety attack this morning. 

SSDD otherwise. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    The Gabby Petito case makes me feel some sort of way.  I think it's because my friend's niece (I think?) went missing last week and she's not white and blonde, so there was scant news coverage. (she was found, thankfully, and is OK)  Also, this season's "Up and Vanished" is about missing and murdered indigenous women and how hard it is to get anyone to take those disappearances seriously.  So to see the case blow up nationally just...reinforces who gets coverage and who does not.  That said, it's very sad and the audio from the cops who pulled them over is tough to listen to knowing where she ended up.  Maybe if they'd arrested her for domestic assault (which is NOT great), she'd been able to have her family come get her? It's also very upsetting his family is stone-walling and he's in the wind at the moment. 

Weekend was pretty good.  I wish I'd gotten better sleep, but otherwise we had a good time.  DH and I sat on our deck on Friday night cracking each other up and listening to music.  Saturday, my family came over for fall bday.  Sunday, our friends came over to watch football.  I made a potato bar yesterday and it was a massive hit.  

I'm so glad my next therapy appt is tomorrow because my anxiety is flaring majorly.  Catastrophic thoughts abound.  Ugh.  Working out on my lunch break did help because I was down the path of an anxiety attack this morning. 

SSDD otherwise. 
    This has been weighing on me too, and I also feel guilty being so invested in this as well, as so many other women that are white have gone missing, and it's barely covered on local news stations, let alone national news. 
  • I've been following the Gabby Petito case a bit, but why would the fiance's house be a crime scene?  She was killed elsewhere .... is it because some evidence is there?  Or because since he is missing they think he is dead now too?

• mrsconn23 said:
    The Gabby Petito case makes me feel some sort of way.  I think it's because my friend's niece (I think?) went missing last week and she's not white and blonde, so there was scant news coverage. (she was found, thankfully, and is OK)  Also, this season's "Up and Vanished" is about missing and murdered indigenous women and how hard it is to get anyone to take those disappearances seriously.  So to see the case blow up nationally just...reinforces who gets coverage and who does not. 
    I also thought this, especially after reading some comments but apparently she is an instagram influencer and was posting about her trip along the way, and then they stopped, her followers got worried.  That could add a bit of notariaty to her.  Not saying your statement is false, @mrsconn23, it’s definitely a problem. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    The Gabby Petito case makes me feel some sort of way.  I think it's because my friend's niece (I think?) went missing last week and she's not white and blonde, so there was scant news coverage. (she was found, thankfully, and is OK)  Also, this season's "Up and Vanished" is about missing and murdered indigenous women and how hard it is to get anyone to take those disappearances seriously.  So to see the case blow up nationally just...reinforces who gets coverage and who does not. 
    I also thought this, especially after reading some comments but apparently she is an instagram influencer and was posting about her trip along the way, and then they stopped, her followers got worried.  That could add a bit of notariaty to her.  Not saying your statement is false, @mrsconn23, it’s definitely a problem. 
    Yeah, I understand that and see why it became  A. Thing. But also, it turns the lens to who's a successful influencer and what they do and look like.  

Furthermore, they tell you not to go alone.  To take a friend, or better, a man with you.  And it turns out if you pick wrong, you're still in danger. 

I mean, we don't know yet what happened and if he did anything to her or not.  He may be 'in hiding' because he knows what coming back w/o her looks like regardless of his guilt or innocence.  But his whole family putting put a brick wall and refusing to engage with her family or authorities and the rumors from online sleuths that he or his family may have faked an IG profile to make it look like she was still posting isn't a good look.  And also he's now 'missing'.  It will be upsetting if he's dead too, because two young lives gone...for what?

But it's a study in the intersection of influencer culture, how it affects the mental health of the creators, how intimate partner violence is popping up in young people's relationships more often, the media's relationship with sensationalism and who gets coverage, the patriarchy, and white supremacy.  One of the positive things is that because the world is so online and connected, and that she was documenting her travels, online sleuthing moved this case along very quickly.  
  • kerbohl said:
    I've been following the Gabby Petito case a bit, but why would the fiance's house be a crime scene?  She was killed elsewhere .... is it because some evidence is there?  Or because since he is missing they think he is dead now too?
    I think it has to mean that there's evidence there.  The boyfriend returned in their van without her to that home and was there for days before he went "missing".  

I'm thinking the parents HAD to have something to do with the son's disappearance whether it was financed or sanctioned.  There's something that's clearly not adding up when they aren't presenting themselves as looking for their FDIL, their son left and now the search for the son is exhausted. 
  • I also was assuming the house being called a crime scene because there's some kind of evidence there. And I think if they had located him, we'd have heard by now. 
  • banana468 said:
    kerbohl said:
    I've been following the Gabby Petito case a bit, but why would the fiance's house be a crime scene?  She was killed elsewhere .... is it because some evidence is there?  Or because since he is missing they think he is dead now too?
    I think it has to mean that there's evidence there.  The boyfriend returned in their van without her to that home and was there for days before he went "missing".  

I'm thinking the parents HAD to have something to do with the son's disappearance whether it was financed or sanctioned.  There's something that's clearly not adding up when they aren't presenting themselves as looking for their FDIL, their son left and now the search for the son is exhausted. 
    There must be something in the van.

The only, only reason I can think of if he is innocent and doesn't want to talk to the authorities is that he knew what happened, is a witness, and is either scared or ashamed of his actions, that he couldn't help her.  But with that, why not alert the authorities as soon as you can? I really can't speak with authority on that though - stress does things to people.   

I do lean towards him looking guilty though.  It looks really really bad.

• Weekend was good. Friday nights dinner with friends was fun and delicious. Didn't get to bed until after midnight because of clean up. I slept until after 9 Saturday morning! Can't remember the last time I slept that late. Saturday was more clean up, ironing and veggie in front of the TV. Yesterday was church, returning a dress to store and more TV. Today I've been trying to get my Italian homework done but it has been difficult. Watching a documentary on fishing and the consequences to the oceans - not fun. 

We got our family photo link yesterday. There are some really good ones. Now I need to figure out which ones I want to frame. 

I also have a stiff neck and shoulders. I've taken Advil and applied heat but still can hardly move my head without pain. don't even know what I did - slept on it wrong probably.
  • kerbohl said:
    banana468 said:
    kerbohl said:

There must be something in the van.

The only, only reason I can think of if he is innocent and doesn't want to talk to the authorities is that he knew what happened, is a witness, and is either scared or ashamed of his actions, that he couldn't help her.  But with that, why not alert the authorities as soon as you can? I really can't speak with authority on that though - stress does things to people.   

I do lean towards him looking guilty though.  It looks really really bad.
    I'm sad that other situations don't get the coverage that they deserve.  I believe there's a serial killer in LI who has largely targeted prostitutes and the coverage was much less likely because there's victim shaming. 

In this situation I think they towed a mustang from the home.  

If he's not guilty then wouldn't he have lawyered up and talked through an attorney?  If he's innocent then bolting is hardly something that's visually smart at all.  

It's reminding me of the sad unsolved murder of Jennifer Dulos and her body hasn't been found.  
  • @ei34 sorry to hear about the added stress with STBX I can only imagine how crappy that makes weekends. I hope you get away from him soon