Wedding Woes
Options

Where’s Wednesday?!

I think it’s Wednesday anyway. 

Still weighing the jobs- meeting with the head of the Division where I want to make the internal transfer. I don’t know if there are resources to do this now but hoping to get more clarity this afternoon. Fingers crossed! 

Re: Where’s Wednesday?!

• Options
    M heard back from the other company yesterday. He's got a coding test on Tuesday so he's a tad nervous. He doesn't feel these tests accurately show his abilities, but I said they probably just seeing what he learned since they interviewed him nearly 2yrs ago.

BK fell and bonked her head at prek yesterday - she ended up being fine but because it was a head bonk, I got an immediate email {plus the accident report letter}
    My mum kept her calm just in case, but no issues. If there's a bump, it was so minimal. Even redness was barely there a couple hours later when my mum got her.

I'm already starting to prep summer holidays.
    We need to arrange approx 10 weeks.
    I have 2 weeks planned for summer camp - there isn't a lot for 4yr olds here. If the place has a 3rd week, I may do that.

I'm going to ask my mum and MIL/SFIL about their availabilities.
  • Options
    M heard back from the other company yesterday. He's got a coding test on Tuesday so he's a tad nervous. He doesn't feel these tests accurately show his abilities, but I said they probably just seeing what he learned since they interviewed him nearly 2yrs ago.

BK fell and bonked her head at prek yesterday - she ended up being fine but because it was a head bonk, I got an immediate email {plus the accident report letter}
    My mum kept her calm just in case, but no issues. If there's a bump, it was so minimal. Even redness was barely there a couple hours later when my mum got her.

I have 2 weeks planned for summer camp - there isn't a lot for 4yr olds here. If the place has a 3rd week, I may do that.

I agree with M- also most people don’t memorize complex code. You know the stuff you do all the time or you do regularly but things I don’t do often? Google. 
  • Options

I agree with M- also most people don’t memorize complex code. You know the stuff you do all the time or you do regularly but things I don’t do often? Google. 
    Oh I agree also! I think they're just testing where he's stronger and speed. He sent example code on stuff he's been working on, but he wasn't thrilled with what he sent.

I don't think this is a pass/fail situation, I think it's just referencing the company what he's capable of
  • Options
    Pretty SSDD here.  Wednesday is actually one of the only days we don’t have somewhere to be after school, so I’ve come to look forward to it. 
  • Options
    SSDD here.  I'm hoping to psych myself up to get the fall decorations out of the attic but a first glance says that there's a lot of Lysol needed to get through the mice poop that's on my stuff.  Bah! 

Work wise I'm trying to turn it into a productive day getting stuff checked off and balancing the house stuff.   

I'm going to need to either load DH's car or start to make a LOT of trips with things we'll need to donate like the clothing that the kids don't fit into and my maternity clothing.

Also - last night I had a SUPER vivid dream about being pregnant again.
  • Options
    Yesterday, the master tenant who rents four of my units did pay what she had promised. Big phew!  I'm already excited about making a big payment to my HELOC on Friday.  She still owes us some money for the two units that had their rent due on Oct 1st.  The other two will be due on Oct. 15th.  But, supposedly, she'll be making extra payments through the month and will be fully paid up by the end of Oct.  We shall see, but getting out of arrears for September and at least something paid for the Oct. 1st rents was a big step in the right direction.

On more good financial news, I opened a Discover card earlier this year that had 0% interest on balance transfers.  I took advantage of that for the last of my 'cc debt from the renos we finished last year.  I had a note on one of my budget spreadsheets that the 0% interest was going to expire in Oct. of this year.  Which actually hadn't sounded right to me, because I thought the offer had been 18 months 0% interest.  I logged into that account to double check that date and schedule paying off the balance, if it was going to end.  Turns out, I'd misread my spreadsheet note.  The 0% rate doesn't expire until NEXT October, ie Oct. 2022!!  Yaassss!

I also want to give a shout-out to Discover.  A few days after Hurricane Ida, Discover sent me an e-mail that, because I was in an area affected by the hurricane, they were waiving the minimum monthly payment due for September.  They went on to say that I didn't need to call to request this.  I didn't need to do anything, it was already done.  When I was able to, I did log into my account just to make sure.  And, yes, just like they'd promised, my minimum payment due for Sept. was showing as $0.

Other 'ccs didn't ignore the event.  I also got a few e-mails with "call us if you'll have trouble making your payment due to Hurricane Ida".  Which was nice and (probably) helpful enough for people who needed it.  But Discover was the ONLY one that already had it set up, where people affected didn't even need to ask.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Smokey Porcupine? You must keep that @missJeanLouise.  I’m lmao at that name.
    @MissKittyDanger Good luck to M. Hopefully you are right with just the “where you’re at” testing.

i had plans for halloween (Vegas) but it was moved so now Vegas is out.  I’m trying to fill in that special weekend for me, but my meetups are duds. There’s a show downtown Chicago on the Sat but going downtown is such a PITA and I’m not super excited for it.  I’m going to ask my brother if I can tag along the kids’ activities.  LOL.
    Also, I saw a fb post of the set of Hocus Pocus 2 being done and it gave me the warm fuzzies. It’s the old Salem village. Come on 2022!

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2021
    Discover is really awesome @short+sassy I agree. Fantastic on the extra alotted year lol.  I took discover out for my surgery and it bought me time on that too. Plus, it’s another card with bonus categories. 

i love those masks @banana468! Fun fun! I would do that in a heartbeat.  Edit: yup, RI. Chase Farm in Lincoln.

• Options
    Congrats, @charlotte989875 on the offer! I hope it gives you the leverage you need to get something happening on the internal move. 

I'm sleepy already today. H and I went for a jog this morning (and by jog I mean intervals of jogging mixed with intervals of walking while panting and trying to catch my breath.) Weather said rain wouldn't start until 8, but they lied and we got drenched. So I got home and took a super hot shower and put on cozy sweats, making me sleepyAF.

Anyway, for people who run/walk/whatever outside in semi-dark, what do you use for light? (It's light enough for me to see, but I want a light so cars can see me from far away.) I used to have a forehead light, but it always annoyed me. I'm wondering if the other options are more comfortable without sacrificing visibility. 
  • Options
    Congrats, @charlotte989875 on the offer! I hope it gives you the leverage you need to get something happening on the internal move. 

I'm sleepy already today. H and I went for a jog this morning (and by jog I mean intervals of jogging mixed with intervals of walking while panting and trying to catch my breath.) Weather said rain wouldn't start until 8, but they lied and we got drenched. So I got home and took a super hot shower and put on cozy sweats, making me sleepyAF.

Anyway, for people who run/walk/whatever outside in semi-dark, what do you use for light? (It's light enough for me to see, but I want a light so cars can see me from far away.) I used to have a forehead light, but it always annoyed me. I'm wondering if the other options are more comfortable without sacrificing visibility. 
    This was my problem on Monday.  My parents were still visiting and I didn’t want to wake them by using the gym (right next to the guestroom), so I went outside at 6 a.m. to walk instead- still incredibly dark.  I usually walk in the park by my house, but it was WAY to dark and I have to go under a bridge and while I’m a big person, and probably impossible to kidnap, i’m still a scaredy-cat.  I just walked on the sidewalks, which also doesn’t have the best lighting.  And also, I roll my ankle so easily - so the uneven pavement + the darkness isn’t the best situation for me.

This doesn’t help you at all.

• Options
    @MyNameIsNot @charlotte989875 I don’t run in our area because it’s not safe after dark, but I have seen people with those glow stick looking bracelets or anklets when they’re running or walking. That would make you visible but not really impact light around you if you can see. 

I called off work today to try and be there when the neurologist is doing rounds at the hospital. FFIL had a stroke so I left yesterday and went to help. FIs family is bothering me a little. FSIL thinks I’m being extra by going earlier than 12:30 today. FFIL has no one with him. He just had a stroke. He’s not going to fully understand what the neurologist is telling him or next steps to take. Someone needs to be there when the team rounds. And no one else is even attempting to be there on time. So I’m a little irritated and tired but it is what it is. FMIL is also like having a negative support presence as she’s just so confused anyways. The nurse pulled me aside and asked me if she had dementia and I was like well I know she does but the rest of the family is in hard denial. FSIL was hysterical yesterday and talking to her afterwards she has a very different view of how she handled the bad news and what she saw when she was in the hospital with us. In short, denial. So I know people are viewing me as pushy but no one knows wtf they are doing or how to navigate hospitals and care. FI has asked me to go, FFIL made me a contact for clinical info over the rest of the siblings besides FSIL. So Im going to do what’s best for him. Im just annoyed. 

• Options
    Discover is really awesome @short+sassy I agree. Fantastic on the extra alotted year lol.  I took discover out for my surgery and it bought me time on that too. Plus, it’s another card with bonus categories. 

i love those masks @banana468! Fun fun! I would do that in a heartbeat.  Edit: yup, RI. Chase Farm in Lincoln.
    Last quarter was restaurants.  Such perfect timing for my NYC trip!

This quarter one of the websites is Walmart.com.  I had an order I was going to place on Sept. 30th.  But then I remembered and said to myself, "Nope!  Wait one more day and it's 5% back with Discover.  Plus I'm still in my first year where they do the cash back matching."

Especially considering the matching, I could really do some damage this quarter and lean my grocery shopping heavier with Walmart pick-up orders.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Yes! I saved my big TV re-purchase at walmart.com for that card! Lol.  Is it only .com not the brick & mortar? 

Edit: I checked and its my chase freedom that’s walmart. Discover is .com. This will be confusing!

But also, I came here to post this about Monday’s outage 😂 

• Options
    @CharmedPam, I think Chase Freedom is both Walmart the store and the website.  Discover is only the Walmart website (and Target's and Amazon's websites only).

I wish 'cc companies would coordinate their quarterly bonus categories better.  For a points-monger like myself, it just feels so wasteful to have this kind of overlay in the same quarter, lol.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Exactly! Although it’s only maxed at the first $1,500. and amazon I can easily double that in 3 months. I thought I’d make the dining quarter for sure but I surprisingly didn’t!! 

• Options
    Exactly! Although it’s only maxed at the first $1,500. and amazon I can easily double that in 3 months. I thought I’d make the dining quarter for sure but I surprisingly didn’t!! 
    If you don't already have it, you should get Amazon's store card.  It's 5% back all the time and I don't think there is a limit.

When you have points to use, it will pop up as an option to apply to a new purchase.  It's a thrilling little surprise, lol.  "Short+sassy, would you like to use your $8.72 in Amazon points for this purchase?"  "Why, yes Amazon, I would.  Thank you so much."

Also 5% back for a Whole Foods pick-up, if the order is placed through Amazon's website.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker