Wedding Woes

Thankful Monday (for Canadians)

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited October 2021 in Wedding Woes
And boy does it feel like a Holiday for us in the U.S. on the roads too.  No one was out on my commute today. Am I the only one working? I think I’ll half-ass it in honor of those who have it off anyway.

Weekend was good. Friday I went to a pumpkin carving party, and created a shitty ghoul pattern. Saturday I had a ghost story walk & dinner with my meetup. Then, on Sunday I moved all my summer clothes into my guestroom and pulled the fall items back into my room.  I tossed another 3 bags of clothes to send to good will. I did 3 last year too.  I have a TON of clothes left and there’s no less room in my closet, leading me to beileve that throughout the year I accumulate 3 bags worth of new clothes.

eta words

Re: Thankful Monday (for Canadians)

• And boy does it feel like a Holiday for us in the U.S. on the roads too.  No one was out on my commute today. Am I the only one working? I think I’ll half-ass it in honor of those who have it off anyway.

Weekend was good. Friday I went to a pumpkin carving party, and created a shitty ghoul pattern. Saturday I had a ghost story walk & dinner with my meetup. Then, on Sunday I moved all my summer clothes into my guestroom and pulled the fall items back into my room.  I tossed another 3 bags of clothes to send to good will. I did 3 last year too.  I have a TON of clothes left and there’s no less room in my closet, leading me to beileve that throughout the year I accumulate 3 bags worth of new clothes.

eta words
    I'm working today also.  My commute was also so much better than normal.  I'm going to join you on the bolded.

Friday was busy with Costco scanning and errands.  The rest of the weekend was relaxed.  The neighbor I was talking about, Carol, came back on Sunday.  She seemed in decent spirits, but she said it is hard to be there without Ellie and she is afraid to live by herself.  On the bright side, Ellie has gotten used to and now loves her care facility.  She thinks she is at a nice hotel.  She gets upset when Carol visits and then leaves but, most of the time, she doesn't notice that Carol and her cats aren't there.  Most importantly, she is safe now and being properly taken care of, including being bathed and eating regular meals.  It's not that the ladies didn't have food, but Ellie sometimes didn't eat and would get mad if Carol tried to make her.

The other good thing is, without Ellie's things in the house...I hadn't realized they'd been taken out...it feels a lot more picked up and organized.  They also took out some of the furniture and the living room carpet, which reeked of cat urine, so that was another improvement.  Unfortunately, now the living room is just the bare, unsealed wood of the subfloor.  And the two cats and one dog are coming back today.  My H gently warned Carol that at least the cats need to be outside only cats...they spend a lot of time outside anyway...or taken to a shelter, because they don't use a litter box and the subfloor will be ruined if they pee on it.  But that suggestion upset her, so he dropped it.

Back to the plus side and my own life.  There is just something about Fall that puts me in a good mood!  It probably helps that I also got a good night's sleep last night, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeesh, it took me an hour to submit my own post and there aren't any other ones?  It might be just you and me working today @CharmedPam, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam that sounds like a pretty great weekend.

Our weekend was chill because DS was sick. He still is a bit but definitely on the up swing. At gym this morning, my workout buddy and trainer were saying there is a bug going around and their kids were/are all sick too. 

I am stoked because I finally got DH to get on board with going through things in the house by category, rather than by room. I think it will be a much more efficient way to declutter. We will take our time, maybe a category or two a month.
  • @short+sassy glad there is good news for your neighbors
  • Whoops.  I made a mistake on my bank account, though I suppose it doesn't matter.

We went to the bank on Friday, mainly to make a payment to my HELOC.  But I also had about $400 in checks to deposit, to my business checking.  I forgot the checks, but wiped out the balance in that account as part of my HELOC payment.  So now my balance is $3.86, lol.  I already had it all planned out, so it didn't hit me until this morning that by forgetting the checks, I left myself so low in that account.

One of my paranoid "things" is I always want to keep at least $100 in each account, jic something small goes through or there is a random fee that I forgot about.  I have nothing like that for this account.  It really is fine it's only a few bucks.  But I have to keep reminding myself of that and talking myself down.  "No, I do not need to make an annoying special trip to the bank.  It's fine until I go again, a couple weeks from now."

Speaking of checks, one of them is for a partial return of my property insurance.  So, first off, I was already PO'ed that I was forced to insure my house for less because they "claimed" the replacement cost has gone down.  I'm sorry, but EXCUSE ME?!?!  How could the replacement cost per square foot have gone down from what it was 10 years ago?  I could never rebuild my house for what it is now currently insured for but, whatever.  I didn't have a choice in the matter.  I was told I can appeal the decision next year.

However, that means I was entitled to some of my property insurance back.  THREE MONTHS LATER, I get the check, smh.  So apparently that is also part of their scam.  They keep their customers' money for a ridiculously long period of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m off today. Watched the end of the Boston Marathon and hanging with Baby M! H is at work so it’s just us. 
  • I'm working too.  DH is home and doing some gutter rehab (we currently have PLANTS growing in a few of them) and Chiquita is at the beach for an Indigenous People's lesson with her friend and my local mom friend.   I was at the Dr this AM for some treatment of stubborn warts and am hoping to use the day as an "in office holiday" to catch up on needed paperwork.  

The weekend was decent.  Saturday was soccer til 2 and then laundry and Muppets Haunted Mansion (it's cute!).  Then DH and I finished Ted Lasso.   Yesterday was church and MORE laundry and DH finished putting the desks together for the kids.

Vent: our local Ikea put the wrong door size on the display so when I went to order the closet doors needed for the beds, they are a foot short.  To do a return, I need to drive to the Ikea because they will not do return shipments and the store is a 35-40 minute drive in no traffic.  It's absolutely a 1st world problem for something that's a total of $36 but I'm still annoyed. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2021
    banana468 said:
    I'm working too.  DH is home and doing some gutter rehab (we currently have PLANTS growing in a few of them) and Chiquita is at the beach for an Indigenous People's lesson with her friend and my local mom friend.   I was at the Dr this AM for some treatment of stubborn warts and am hoping to use the day as an "in office holiday" to catch up on needed paperwork.  

The weekend was decent.  Saturday was soccer til 2 and then laundry and Muppets Haunted Mansion (it's cute!).  Then DH and I finished Ted Lasso.   Yesterday was church and MORE laundry and DH finished putting the desks together for the kids.

Vent: our local Ikea put the wrong door size on the display so when I went to order the closet doors needed for the beds, they are a foot short.  To do a return, I need to drive to the Ikea because they will not do return shipments and the store is a 35-40 minute drive in no traffic.  It's absolutely a 1st world problem for something that's a total of $36 but I'm still annoyed. 
    One of my first jobs out of college was being an office manager for a tree care company.

One of our clients was a church.  Right under their high steeple, they had a ledge where there was a stained glass window.  Every 1-2 years, a little tree would start growing there.  So every 1-2 years, they'd hire our company to come remove it, lol.  It would be completely removed.  Root ball, stump and all because it's not like any of it got that big being on a ledge.  It was puzzling to all what was so special about that ledge, that a tree kept growing there even though there wasn't any soil.  I guess there must have been something about the "flight path" of nearby seeds that swept them up there.

Edit: words
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I confess I did absolutely no cleaning this weekend and I regret it. Going to see if I can get some extra weeknight chores in to compensate. Getting my third shot this afternoon hope I’m not as exhausted as I was after the first!
  • banana468 said:
    I'm working too.  DH is home and doing some gutter rehab (we currently have PLANTS growing in a few of them) and Chiquita is at the beach for an Indigenous People's lesson with her friend and my local mom friend.   I was at the Dr this AM for some treatment of stubborn warts and am hoping to use the day as an "in office holiday" to catch up on needed paperwork.  

One of my first jobs out of college was being an office manager for a tree care company.

One of our clients was a church.  Right under their high steeple, they had a ledge where there was a stained glass window.  Every 1-2 years, a little tree would start growing there.  So every 1-2 years, they'd hire our company to come remove it, lol.  It would be completely removed.  Root ball, stump and all because it's not like any of it got that big being on a ledge.  It was puzzling to all what was so special about that ledge, that a tree kept growing there even though there wasn't any soil.  I guess there must have been something about the "flight path" of nearby seeds that swept them up there.

Edit: words
    We have a lot of oak trees both in our yard and bordering it.  It's extremely likely that acorns are falling in and sprouting.    (also, this is likely what contributes to our cars serving as nests for mice).  

DH bought more gutter guards at Costco and the hope is that the mesh is fine enough to let water in but not the extra crap.  It's so annoying to spend money on stuff that isn't making the house pretty but if it's cutting down on exterior manual labor i'm for it. 
  • Hey! Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating.

Weekend was all right.  I worked Saturday.  DefConn went to a bday party.  DH and the kiddo hung out.  My sister's SIL had her baby too.  (Sis and BIL have known each other since Jr High, so her SIL is like another sister to us).  She's very cute and everyone is doing great.  It's the first granddaughter on BIL's side of the family and she was born the day before sis and BIL's youngest's bday.  

We went out on the boat yesterday.  Just me, DH, and DefConn.  It was lovely.  The weather was really nice and the lake was pretty empty.  I got a little sunburn, but yay for not having to give up on being sun-kissed yet, LOL.  The water was chilly, so we mostly laid about and enjoyed being in the sun and on the water. Our friends came to dinner last night and I was up way too late and had a little too much wine. 

DH is mopey today.  He starts his 2nd shift and is apprehensive about the change.  I dealt with a lot of anxiety this weekend and I know it was this impending change.  I hope we both feel better after we get into our new routine. 

OMG, the middle of season 2 of Succession is so freaking great (I'm so behind, but we're trying to catch up for season 3 starting Sunday).  And the Ted Lasso finale was an O-M-G.  
  • banana468 said:

We have a lot of oak trees both in our yard and bordering it.  It's extremely likely that acorns are falling in and sprouting.    (also, this is likely what contributes to our cars serving as nests for mice).  

DH bought more gutter guards at Costco and the hope is that the mesh is fine enough to let water in but not the extra crap.  It's so annoying to spend money on stuff that isn't making the house pretty but if it's cutting down on exterior manual labor i'm for it. 

SIB:

That was one of the first purchases we made when I bought my house.  From Costco and everything.  They have been great!  We almost never have to clean out our gutters.  However, now they have fallen into disrepair and we need to get new ones.  But they lasted for 10 years, so we definitely got our money's worth.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm back home after a great girls' trip to New Mexico. I've been doing all the laundry and trying to just catch up on stuff - scheduling appointments, picking up stuff for the bathroom reno, organizing emails etc.

I also need to organize my office/exercise room. I'm waiting for my Norwex mentor to get back to me about setting up my first FB party. Her dad passed away a little over a week ago so I understand her not being able to answer messages. I'm just getting antsy about getting that first party done!

Weather is warm and muggy here but not intolerable - we do have windows open. I think I need a nap though this afternoon. Yesterday I was up at 4 AM in order to catch my plane home from Albuquerque. I slept well last night but I think the whole week of less sleep is getting to me.
  • @VarunaTT ((hugs!!)), I'm sorry you are going through a hard time, especially at this time of year.  Feeling depressed is when it can be the hardest to make a decision or even take any actions.  It wouldn't hurt to at least get your resume out there and see what other opportunities might come up.  We spend so much time at work, that a toxic work environment can become especially soul crushing.  Even something that pays the same or only a little less sounds like it would be a major improvement.

I'm also not so sure I agree that going anywhere is dumb because mental health is vitally important also.  COVID has been really isolating for a lot of people.  I think there is a lot to be said for taking the calculated risk of socializing with other people, especially when done safely.  Like with other people who are vaccinated. Small groups or just one friend.  Socially distanced and masked and/or meetings outside.  Whatever you and your friends feel the safest and most comfortable with.

I hear you, though.  I know some of your challenges are living somewhere that has out of control COVID stats.  I know you've also mentioned some of the usual hangouts of your friend groups are bars, which are not great choices for COVID safety.  But some of your friends probably feel they are in the same boat and would love an opportunity to socialize away from a bar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker