Wedding Woes
Options

Leave well enough alone

Prudence

I dated a man who I believed to be my soulmate for a little over a year. We started dating in December 2019, and then, you know, the pandemic happened. The pandemic put a lot of stress on us, but him dumping me seemed to come out of nowhere. A couple months after our breakup, I found out that he and his best friend’s wife are now dating. (I found out from the very distraught best friend, who is mourning the loss of both this friendship and marriage. He also revealed that his ex-wife has major anger issues, which my ex had hinted at before.) The thing is, I disliked this woman from the start. While I never believed she was romantically interested in my boyfriend, I thought she had an unhealthy attachment to him, and our personalities clashed. Turns out, she’s been in love with him for several years (during which she was married). Prudie, I can’t get this out of my head. I know this relationship began after our breakup, but I feel so misled about her. I always knew something was off, but my boyfriend told me that she and her then-husband were “good people.” It’s been months since I found out about this, and I really want to address this with my ex, since it’s weighing so heavily on me. Should I?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Leave well enough alone

• Options
    But what exactly needs "addressing" here? You two are done; why do you need an admission from him? Feel vindicated, be grateful you dodged a bullet, move on.
  • Options
    I don't know what LW thinks she would even say to her ex.  
  • Options
    You need to address this with a therapist, not your ex.
  • Options
    LW needs to move the fuck on. 
  • Options
    Two people in this scenario have moved on.  The LW needs to as well.  Exactly what is to be gained in this?  The relationship is over!  
  • Options
    There is nothing the LW will gain by addressing this with their ex.  They will not have any "aha" moment, it will probably just leave them feeling more frustrated that sometimes there isn't any explanation as to why someone broke up with them or preferred someone else them.  

The LW should discuss it with their therapist and, if they don't have one, perhaps look into it if they haven't been able to let go after all of this time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I get that it's all pretty recent, so I feel bad saying "time to move on, LW"...but, I agree with the advice to leave it alone. It's over.
  • Options
    I feel like LW wants to know what happened.
    Did they cheat? What went wrong? Etc
    Closure.

But that being said, LW should seek therapy because as I've learned the hard way, you don't always get closure.
  • Options
    Right.  What does LW think will come from this?

• Options
    I think LW is wanting to say "See I told you!", which isn't helpful.
  • Options
    Wanting to know and getting to know are two different things. Does it suck the ex lied? Of course. What good is going to come of pointing out he lied?
  • Options
    Wanting to know and getting to know are two different things. Does it suck the ex lied? Of course. What good is going to come of pointing out he lied?
    And what happens?  Being wronged sucks.  I've been betrayed/cheated on too.  But what's the end game here?
  • Options
    LW, what do you have to gain from confronting your ex? Will it really make you feel any better? He didn't cheat on you, he just happened to move on with someone you never liked. It may hurt, but there's nothing to gain from "addressing" this with him.

I suggest you talk to a therapist about the pain and disappointment you feel from this breakup, and then focus your energy on finding a future relationship rather than dwelling on a past one.