Wedding Woes
Options

Mom, you don't dictate titles

Prudence

I have been happily married for 11 years and am a 34-year-old mother of three. My mother is a narcissist who has ghosted me for a year or so at a time in the past simply due to normal disagreements. Back in 2014 she married a man, “Cott,” from her office. Fitting enough, he, too, is a narcissist. He’s rude and doesn’t communicate with me, my kids, or my husband.

Three years ago, my son turned 1, and my mother’s husband pushed his head down into a cake at a birthday party. This was after I said not to and to just let my son explore the cake in front of him. This also left a few bruises on the back of his neck, making him cry terribly. Instead of apologizing, I was ghosted for two years. These narcissists simply can’t apologize.

Here’s my dilemma. My kids do not have a relationship with Cott, only with my mother. I tell my oldest to call him whatever makes her feel comfortable. Whether she calls him Cott or grandpa is up to her, but as it stands, I call him Cott and see him only as my mother’s husband, nothing more. She insists he has the title of my stepfather and my children’s grandfather. I get it, my entire life my mother has been a single hardworking mom and now she’s married, but excuse me if I don’t want this judgmental, disrespectful man-child to be considered my “father” in any terms. Am I wrong for denouncing the idea that he’s in any way my anything?

— Not My Dad

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mom, you don't dictate titles

• Options
    Even if they weren't narcissists, LW doesn't have to do any of that.
  • Options
    "Mom, we will call him what we are comfortable calling him. This subject is closed now."
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    I'm sorry, he forcefully grabbed your child and left bruises and your concern is what they call him?
    I'm hoping when LW says they don't have a relationship with him it means he isn't allowed to come to the house anymore, but... I'm not optimistic.
  • Options
    She insists the kids call him grandpa or what? She ghosts you again? Is that really such a bad thing?
  • Options
    "Mom, we will call him what we are comfortable calling him. This subject is closed now."
    This.  Don't leave it as a subject of discussion. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    I'm sorry, he forcefully grabbed your child and left bruises and your concern is what they call him?
    This. These people would never be welcome back in my home or my life. Ever. 
  • Options
    I'm so sick of people throwing around the term narcissist all over the place. It's like v 2.0 of people claiming OCD when they're high strung. 

Anyway, this guy physically injured your baby. His name should be stranger because he shouldn't have any contact with your kids. 
  • Options
    Even if Cott wasn't rude and someone who injures babies, I think it's really weird he expects the LW to call him "father".  By the time he came into the picture, the LW was already a married adult, so he didn't help raise her.  They aren't close at all, so no relationship like that developed either.

As an example, my mother's husband (A) is a great guy that both myself and my sister like.  But we had a father who raised us and unfortunately passed away when we were young adults.  As such, my mother didn't even start dating A until we were already adults.  While I realize that A is technically our stepfather, neither myself nor my sister think of him in that way because that just hasn't been the relationship we've had with him.  We have always called him by his first name.  It would feel really bizarre to do otherwise.

However, it's different for my sister's children.  They have always called him Grandpa A and have been encouraged to.  He's been in our family's life since long before they were born, so he's had a grandfather role with them. 

As a funny aside, A is about 12 years younger than my mom, so he wouldn't even be old enough to be my father.  I'm only about 13 years younger than him.  For more fun math, my H is almost 10 years older than me, so he's almost the same age as A.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have so many questions and thoughts. Why are either of these people still in your life, LW? And something is very wrong if your child was left with bruises. Either you are exaggerating, or that was beyond forceful and was meant to harm and if that’s the case then it’s insane you are continuing contact with a man who left bruises on a one year old. 

• Options
    For a more pleasant first cake story, one of my earliest memories is of my sister's 1st birthday.  I was 4 1/2.  I still remember she had the cake in front of her.  She was looking at it and staring at it, but wouldn't do anything.  EVERYONE was trying to encourage her to put her little hand in the cake and try it.  Pantomime, happy voices.

But, after a few minutes, she seemed to lose interest the cake.  So the rest of us went back to talking and doing whatever we were before.

When all of a sudden, she leaned way over...no hands at all...and stuck her whole mouth on the edge of the cake.  But she didn't take a bite and sit back up.  She sat there for a few minutes with her mouth on the cake and her eyes looking around.  At least it was an opportunity for many photos to be taken.  It was hilarious.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Every time I see this title, i think it says, "Mom, you don't dictate titties" and I get confused.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Every time I see this title, i think it says, "Mom, you don't dictate titties" and I get confused.
    Same. Same. 
  • Options
    Why do you let either of these people near your children? 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Right? I'd be more concerned with making sure he was never even around my child again! 

But to answer LW's question, mom has absolutely no right to tell LW what to call mom's husband or to expect LW to consider him her stepfather. LW is an adult and even without the narcissism and disrespect toward her and her family, it would be perfectly normal for her to see Cott as merely her mother's husband and not as any sort of parental figure.