Wedding Woes

Monday Blues

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited November 2021 in Wedding Woes
Boy is Travis Scott in it deep.  So crazy!

I was on a board game waitlist for Saturday and the organizer said 2 people dropped out.  Anyone on the waitlist wanna join?  Hells yeah I do.  I went - had a blast, laughed so hard playing scattegories.

Sunday I really utilized that extra hour. Did a workout, laundry, touched up my roots, went to another meet up.  It was a coffee and walk around a lake and talk/get to know one another.  The 2nd meet up for the group.  I met with a person before the organizer showed up and we hit it off instantly. She is also 6’0 and tall people unite!! (The group isn’t for tall people, it just happened that way), single also (all four of us were) so we had a good hour of bad dating stories.  Then we went to lunch, exchanged numbers and agreed it was a great meetup and we’ll be doing other things in the future. In my 40+ groups, I’m usually the youngest.  In this one, I was the old lady.  29,30 and 34.  I’m 42. But we meshed well and I tried to not think about the age gaps.  So all in all, it was a great weekend, meeting new people and having fun. 

Re: Monday Blues

• @CharmedPam TikTok is going hard on him by posting vids of other bands {Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Green Day & Nirvana are who I've seen} stopping their shows to stop things.
    Apparently this happened before, this just caused death. Guhhh

Weekend was meh.
    Friday BK was home with sniffles. She's mostly fine now, but we're still debating on a covid test.
    Saturday also lowkey. We went to the park briefly, but the wind was chilly so didn't stay long. Just as we were going to do the swings before heading out, BK wanted to sit on the big kid swing. Fine, but unfortunately just as I was letting go of her hands to hold her back, she fell backwards. Idk if she let go or maybe she wasn't holding the chain well. Obv it caused tears, but no injuries. We just headed home after that, I opted to carry her to be on the safe side if she did hurt herself.

Sunday BK wasn't sneezing or had a runny nose, so we headed to the mall. I've had to toss some hats into donation recently, so she was running low. Plus I wanted to pick up some scarves for her. H&M has great tube scarves - they're much looser than I expected, so that's good. I got her a fluffy scarf that has a loop to help keep it on her.

Anyways, today was her allergy test. Sesame went up so now we're not even allowed "may contain" guh. I'm irked. We're reconsidering the desensitization again. We're hoping to be at a safer spot before she goes to school.
    She is allergic to tree pollen, which probably makes the most sense because we have a massive friggen tree outside our house.
  • @CharmedPam I really wish it were a meet.up for tall people. That would be so funny to me, lol. So glad you had some great experiences and made new friends.

I had a mildly productive day. I was inspired by @charlotte989875 (I think that's who anyway) and contacted my therapist's office a week or two ago. My therapist was fully booked until the New Year but they put me on the waiting list. Yesterday they called with an opening for this afternoon, which worked out well because I already had to be that way for my glucose test. It was good to see her and I was able to get actual appointments on the books for January.
  • Weekend was good. Got a lot done around the house. Still figuring out the program for making media posts and invites but at least got some cover pictures done and a couple of invites. Was super tired yesterday - I hate that it is getting darker earlier. It just makes me want to go to bed. At least it was sunny during the day and today as well.

I have an appointment for my eyebrows this afternoon and boy do they need it! I also need to go by Ulta because Sephora is no longer carrying my cleanser! They are having their twice a year sale, and I went to order it - nada!

Glad you had a great time at your meet up, @CharmedPam.
  • I can't edit my post but in case you're curious what I got

2-piece Faux Fur Set - Pink - Kids | H&M CA (hm.com)

Cotton Hat and Tube Scarf - Powder pink/dotted - Kids | H&M CA (hm.com) {this hat will be great for transitional weather}

Knit Hat - Black - Kids | H&M CA (hm.com)

She picked colours for all.
  • Yay for the positive meet ups @CharmedPam
    Weekend was productive but enjoyable.  My Christmas photos came in and they came out really nice, so piecing together this year's card and watching for Shutterfly's best deal.  (They have some great coupons on their app).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a leather (or faux-leather, just anything but cloth/suede) knee-length boot that truly accommodates wide calves?  None that I've ordered close  :s
  • The Astroworld thing is so freaking upsetting. I was watching videos and reading first hand accounts about it all weekend. I had no idea he incited this "raging" and has been doing it for years as well, even being charged for it. There were videos of people breaking through the security gates before any acts were even performing! How was this not shut down immediately!? 

As usual this weekend went too fast. I was so exhausted Friday I ended up falling asleep by 8pm. 
    Saturday I grocery shopped and then had my brother and SIL over for dinner. And I got to feel my baby nephew kick twice! It was unreal. 
    Yesterday I went upstate to see my dude. He's now got me hooked on Yellowstone as we were watching that. 
  • @ei34 idk your budget but I think Ariat makes wide calf sizes. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2021
    Well there is a club for tall people @missJeanLouise and at 6’0 I’m the shortest that can get in! But it meets in Chicago and looks like a way older crowd. By the way, booked out to the new year is insane! Unless it was your hours that didn’t jive and not hers. So glad you got in to see her before that though! Good luck!

ok @climbingsingle, your the 3rd person in less than a 24 hr period to mention Yellowstone.  Fine! i’ll watch it! Happy universe?

This weekend I started “what we do in the shadows” upon recommendation and LOVE it! So funny. And the Canadian jokes.  Spot. On. 

• @CharmedPam I am 5'3 so def not allowed in but I would love to stalk one of their meet ups if it were at a bar or something. Idk why I find this concept so amusing... Just a bunch of tall people hanging out, lol.

Re: therapist I am a SAHM, I have no hours. She said shits just been crazy since covid. There will be other opportunities between now and Jan, I am sure.

I have an old acquaintance that works on Yellowstone. I haven't seen it but the photos he posts on the location are stunning.
  • @CharmedPam that's too funny! He's been trying to get me to watch it for a while and I finally gave in..lol. 
  • I am always so impressed by your commitment to meet ups @CharmedPam. I feel like such a homebody. 

Weekend was okay. Friday was emotionally devastating at work. Then I came home and FI was having doubts about bringing me to a school event (people made a big deal about SOs attending events on their committee meeting the day before and he was worried about first impressions). I didn’t go to the event but the last minute change was the straw that broke the camel’s back and I spent the rest of the night upset. I’m usually good at compartmentalizing work trauma but the situation just got to me.  It’s probably a good thing I didn’t go to the event. 

Saturday we hiked and then FI and I had a date night that was mostly fun. I think we found a new spot for a causal date night that will be nice to revisit. Yesterday was a bummer of a day. We had to euthanize our favorite outdoor stray cat. He was really sick and we couldn’t justify paying thousands of dollars for a cat that isn’t even really ours and when I’m not sure he would have even recovered. It was just terrible and sad and we’re going to miss him a lot. 

Otherwise SSDD. I almost called off today to take a mental health day but I don’t have any more vacation or sick time for the year. 

• @CharmedPam, I love that there's a group for tall people! I'm also tall and get so excited when I meet other tall people, especially women. And then I immediately ask them where they buy pants. Also love What we do in the shadows. Poor Guillermo. 

I had a good weekend. Mostly got some stuff done and watched sports, but got to see my family too. My mom is getting on my nerves, but that's nothing new. I'm actually loving the time change. It was nice to get in a workout outside after the sun was up. 

• @levioosa I am impressed by your dedication to hiking! I am sorry to hear about your, not your, cat. It is always tough even if they don't live in your house.
  • Both boys have colds right now and i'm starting to feel gross too.  Might head home and lay down for 30 minutes before I pick them up later.  Weekend was pretty great.  got lots done around the house and spent a lot of time outside!

We're currently debating what to do about holidays/family events.  H's fam is huge and gets together for everything.  his gma has a big bday coming up and he will go for sure, but we're getting a little "no pressure" pressure to all come and bring the boys.  I'm just not sure yet.  It will be like 40 people, including 6-7 unvaccinated kids.  Most of them have never met our kids (which sucks!) but I'm still a little nervy about doing stuff like this.  I think H feels a little hypocritical bc we've been to weddings, work, other events - but we haven't taken the kids.  They go to school bc they have to and have only seen immediate family. He's leaning toward everyone going, I'm leaning toward not, but i feel bad about it and can tell H is a little pissy with me about and thinks i just dont want to go (which is true, I don't personally enjoy these huge gatherings but i'm trying not to let that cloud my judgement).  WWWWD?

• @levioosa I'm so sorry about your cat and your work troubles.  
  • @MyNameIsNot okay what do tall people do in the shadows??
    @levioosa I'm sorry about the cat and the emotional toll work is taking
    Glad Chiquita can return tomorrow @banana468
  • @Casadena let him take the kids and you stay home?
  • Casadena said:
    Both boys have colds right now and i'm starting to feel gross too.  Might head home and lay down for 30 minutes before I pick them up later.  Weekend was pretty great.  got lots done around the house and spent a lot of time outside!

We're currently debating what to do about holidays/family events.  H's fam is huge and gets together for everything.  his gma has a big bday coming up and he will go for sure, but we're getting a little "no pressure" pressure to all come and bring the boys.  I'm just not sure yet.  It will be like 40 people, including 6-7 unvaccinated kids.  Most of them have never met our kids (which sucks!) but I'm still a little nervy about doing stuff like this.  I think H feels a little hypocritical bc we've been to weddings, work, other events - but we haven't taken the kids.  They go to school bc they have to and have only seen immediate family. He's leaning toward everyone going, I'm leaning toward not, but i feel bad about it and can tell H is a little pissy with me about and thinks i just dont want to go (which is true, I don't personally enjoy these huge gatherings but i'm trying not to let that cloud my judgement).  WWWWD?

I feel like we're approaching a sort of threshold where if you're vaccinated and with others who are vaccinated it's at least safer.  I don't think we're ever going to get away from Covid and something tells me I'll be getting another vaccine in a year for the newer strains just like I'm getting vaccinated next week for the latest flu strain.   So IMO, if your household is vaccinated and you'll be with others that are vaccinated this is less of a concern to me. 

Now I assume your littles are too young to be vaccinated so that changes things up.  While Covid is less of an issue when playing the #s, that does not mean it won't affect kiddos.  I'd still be on the fence about that at this point while they're still too young to be vaccinated just as I didn't try to bring my unvaccinated infants out 10 years ago during cold/flu season and I told every relative that hugged my babies that they needed their pertussis vaccines updated.  

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to eat my cake and have it too.  I'm attempting to figure out what the new balance needs to be and I think it's going to be household dependent. 
  • banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    Both boys have colds right now and i'm starting to feel gross too.  Might head home and lay down for 30 minutes before I pick them up later.  Weekend was pretty great.  got lots done around the house and spent a lot of time outside!

I feel like we're approaching a sort of threshold where if you're vaccinated and with others who are vaccinated it's at least safer.  I don't think we're ever going to get away from Covid and something tells me I'll be getting another vaccine in a year for the newer strains just like I'm getting vaccinated next week for the latest flu strain.   So IMO, if your household is vaccinated and you'll be with others that are vaccinated this is less of a concern to me. 

Now I assume your littles are too young to be vaccinated so that changes things up.  While Covid is less of an issue when playing the #s, that does not mean it won't affect kiddos.  I'd still be on the fence about that at this point while they're still too young to be vaccinated just as I didn't try to bring my unvaccinated infants out 10 years ago during cold/flu season and I told every relative that hugged my babies that they needed their pertussis vaccines updated.  

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to eat my cake and have it too.  I'm attempting to figure out what the new balance needs to be and I think it's going to be household dependent. 
    This is where I am too.  I am so torn because if we take them, it's *probably* fine. Mine are both under 2 so it will definitely be awhile before they can be vaccinated and N isn't even old enough for his flu shot yet.  As far as I know, all the adults are vaccinated and most of the adults and kids have already had COVID (I know you can get it again!)  We can't keep our kids in our house forever, for sure, it's just hard to know where the line is that we're comfy with.  I dont' worry about G as much bc he will flat out refuse to be near or hug most people, especially strangers.  N loves anyone who will snuggle and smile at him and everyone will want to hold him, even if we ask them not to.  @missJeanLouise I feel pretty ogod about H and I going out and about since we're vaccinated and still mask almost everywhere.  But taking the kiddos around so many people is still on the edge for me. 

I know you all can't make the decision for us, but it's helpful to talk through with someone who's not my H. Thank you!
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:

This is where I am too.  I am so torn because if we take them, it's *probably* fine. Mine are both under 2 so it will definitely be awhile before they can be vaccinated and N isn't even old enough for his flu shot yet.  As far as I know, all the adults are vaccinated and most of the adults and kids have already had COVID (I know you can get it again!)  We can't keep our kids in our house forever, for sure, it's just hard to know where the line is that we're comfy with.  I dont' worry about G as much bc he will flat out refuse to be near or hug most people, especially strangers.  N loves anyone who will snuggle and smile at him and everyone will want to hold him, even if we ask them not to.  @missJeanLouise I feel pretty ogod about H and I going out and about since we're vaccinated and still mask almost everywhere.  But taking the kiddos around so many people is still on the edge for me. 

I know you all can't make the decision for us, but it's helpful to talk through with someone who's not my H. Thank you!
    It can help to bounce things around.  I can't tell if it's because I'm tired of quarantines or if I'm optimistic now that my own two can be vaccinated.  I would love to see more people now following the science but my comfort level is changing now that there are more options than masks and staying home for my kids. 
  • @CharmedPam, I also live vicariously through your meetups.  They always sound like so much fun!  I never even heard of Yellowstone until I saw a commercial for it last week.  But, since then, I've heard it mentioned IRL a couple times and now here on WW.

One of the IRL occurrences was funny.  I overheard one coworker ask another if he liked Yellowstone.  He said something like, "Yeah!  It is a great park.  Though I haven't been there in a few years."  Coworker 1 starts L(her)AO and told him, "No!  I was talking about the tv show."

I also love What We Do in the Shadows.  My H and I have been watching it from the beginning.  He doesn't have very many shows he loves, but that is one of them.

@levioosa, I'm sorry you're going through a bad time and that your all's outdoor cat needed to be euthanized.  It's always such a sad and hard thing to do.

@Casadena, I'm sorry to hear you and your H aren't in agreement on what to do about large gatherings and your all's children.  I'm sure this will be a conversation in many households with the upcoming holidays.  I can understand both sides.  I've never even had a child, so take this with a grain of salt.  But I don't think I'd be comfortable with my young kids being around large groups of people.  For smaller groups where I know all the adults are vaccinated, I'd probably be okay with that.

With all due respect to your H, I don't think he's comparing apples to apples.  You are both vaccinated, so that makes it more okay for you all to go to social events.  Yes, it's possible you could pick up the virus and bring it home to your all's children, but that's much less of a risk than an un-vaccinated child being directly exposed to someone who unknowingly has COVID.

Some exciting news in our house.  We're thinking about putting our single-family rental house up for sale.  I'm shocked how much it has increased in value over the last 3 years.  Possibly because it is a lower-priced house to begin with, which are in huge demand.  As an example, it's a 4-bed/2ba.  I bought about 6 years ago for $38K.  But it was a fixer upper and we've put something like $20K-$25K into it over the years.  I thought about selling it 3 years ago and it was worth about $70K.  Now it's worth more like $105K.  Unreal!  It's so awesome. We are debating, debating, debating if we want to rent it out again or sell it.  OR, for another twist, sell it as a Rent-To-Own (subject to).

But I'm leaning the strongest toward selling.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Casadena are the kids eligible to get vaxxed? Would your decision make a difference if they were?
    I get the hesitation, BK is right now only unvaxxed one so we're lucky. She likely won't be until after xmas, so what we do is play by how people feel. M's nanny is older, and our visits have been outside so far but she may feel more comfortable with indoor visits after BK is vaxxed. I know my cousin's gf is auto immune, but she knows BK is solo unvaxxed. Idk if they'll come to any xmas gatherings.
  • @MissKittyDanger it just passed in the US that kiddos 5 and older can be vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.  I could be wrong but I think @Casadena's two are too young.  
  • banana468 said:
    @MissKittyDanger it just passed in the US that kiddos 5 and older can be vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.  I could be wrong but I think @Casadena's two are too young.  
    Yeh I know they're getting vaxxed. It hasn't hit Canada yet, so they'll be almost December. Then for 5 under group probably early January here
  • H (who worked in pharma and dealt with the FDA) doesn't think under 5 will be vaccinated until well after the first of the year. He keeps up with all the literature.
  • @levioosa I'm sorry to hear about the cat.  So hard to lose a pet.

I just saw a commercial for Yellowstone and was thinking "this looks good, should I watch it"?  But I have so much on my watch list as it is - still not caught up on Marvel, haven't seen the last two seasons of Game of Thrones ... really, really behind.

Work was busy today.  I think the management is all on edge right now.  I don't want to make things worse for people, but I feel like everything I ask for is stressing them out.  I am hoping that as things can quieter before Christmas that people get less stressed.

• H (who worked in pharma and dealt with the FDA) doesn't think under 5 will be vaccinated until well after the first of the year. He keeps up with all the literature.
    Genuine question, why does he think the delay? I've seen the under 5 in the states would be December