Attire & Accessories Forum

changing dress length?

Finally had the time to sit down and ask this!

So I've been doing some dress shopping, visited 3 stores. There are more planned for this weekend.

Something I've been noticing is that a lot of wedding dresses are...gowns. I was hoping for a tea-length dress as it fits my personality and the whole casual theme of the wedding. Plus I'll be running around outside lol. But sadly all the places I've been to either have only 1 or 2 styles or they tell me straight up those aren't popular and I won't find any. Sooo it's looking like I'll have to get a gown and have it tailored to be tea-length.

My question is, does shortening a gown by that much change how the material falls?

There is a dress I like, and if we don't find anything at these other places I'll probably go with that. It's one of those "double bottom" gown things where it's like the dress and then some mesh material over it (they're everywhere just don't know what these things are called). I think it's satin? Or it's that other material, I think silk? It's smooth and light. But yeah I like how they fall pretty much straight down, and was worried that if I cut off too much the dress will lift since there's not as much material weighing it down. Plus I don't even know if the double-bottom style would look good in a tea-length? I plan to ask the tailor about this but wanted to check here first before I go in with that mindset. 

Any advice (or even pics lol) would be helpful :3 thanks in advance.

Re: changing dress length?

• Look in places other than wedding gown stores. Try the formal departments in places like Nordstrom, Sachs, Von Maur. You may find something that you like in a non-wedding department.
  • One of the dresses I wore for my wedding was tea length - satin with a lace overlay. It was a past season prom dress. I had trouble finding a tea length dress at traditional bridal shops, but found mine on ebay.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I decided to go with ankle length! Ended up trying on one that I loved lol.