Wedding Woes
Options

Classic: Bad Theater Friend

This summer, I was lucky enough to see a famous musical. The show is not anywhere near my home, so a friend and I booked flights to the show. Fast-forward several months. We were thrilled to arrive at the play we had been vying to see for so long. As soon as the opening number began, however, she began singing along! Not full singing, but a loud enough whisper to draw the attention of nearly everyone seated around us. Upon intermission, I asked her if she noticed all the people seated in front of us turning around to stare at her and thereafter suggested that her whispering bothered them. She was shocked that this behavior would be considered rude and then stated that it was their problem. She proceeded with this through the end of the play. I’m shocked no other patrons confronted her. Based on this fact, I wonder if perhaps I am wrong and overly sensitive. Who is right?

Re: Classic: Bad Theater Friend

• Options
  • Options
    Depends on the show. Most musicals yes, unacceptable. Mama Mia? Part of the experience 
  • Options
    I'm really bad at singing along with stuff, but I've been better while out of just mouthing words along. {at home? I am singing. This is my damn stage lol}
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2021
    The LW isn't wrong at all.  It's super rude for audience members to sing loud enough for others to hear them, unless the singing is encouraged by the cast.

But the LW also shouldn't have been so mild-mannered about it.  They were trying to get the friend to stop by pointing out the other people who seemed to be annoyed.

They should have flat out said, "Friend, you might think it's silly, but your singing is annoying me also.  Can you please stop? "  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would have died of embarrassment. 
  • Options
    @climbingsingle I remember taking the NH line to NYC with my mom and uncle and their cousin with my brother.  It was during commuter hours and they would NOT STOP TALKING.  

My brother and I tried to get them to stop and we were mortified as teens.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    @climbingsingle I remember taking the NH line to NYC with my mom and uncle and their cousin with my brother.  It was during commuter hours and they would NOT STOP TALKING.  

My brother and I tried to get them to stop and we were mortified as teens.  
    OH god, that would have mortified me too! 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    If it wasn't Rocky Horror or Mama Mia then she needs to STFU.  

I'm still annoyed by the asshole sitting next to DH who whistled "The Stranger" while we watched Movin' Out 15 years ago in NYC. 

If this was Hamilton then the friend should be mortified and charged for her offenses. 
    Can I just say that whistling annoys the fuck out of me. I find it so irritating. And would find it infuriating during a show. 
    True!  I would prefer singing to whistling, if I had to chose one evil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Pansy isn’t a great word to use. But I agree that friend should have just said “shhh you’re annoying me”
  • Options
    Pansy isn’t a great word to use. But I agree that friend should have just said “shhh you’re annoying me”
    I changed it to mild mannered, but that didn't seem like quite the right word I was looking for either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If I had paid for original cast Hamilton tickets and some jerk behind me dang the entire time I’d do more than stare. I’d ask them to stop, and if they didn’t I’d get an usher. I paid to hear Lin Manuel not Cathy from Cincinnati. 
    LOLOLOLOLOL
  • Options
    A similar thing happened to H and me when we went to see Motown:The Musical. There were two women behind us that sang the entire time - we couldn't really hear the actors. Yes we all knew the words to every song but I didn't want to hear these women. They even stood up and "danced" along with the Diana Ross and the Supremes. Glad I wasn't sitting behind them. I did keep giving them "looks" to no avail.
  • Options
    If I had paid for original cast Hamilton tickets and some jerk behind me dang the entire time I’d do more than stare. I’d ask them to stop, and if they didn’t I’d get an usher. I paid to hear Lin Manuel not Cathy from Cincinnati. 
    Speaking of LMM, I sat in front of someone at In the Heights years ago that sang along with many of the numbers.  24-yr-old Eileen just stewed but 37-yr-old me would definitely say something.   The friend is absolutely in the wrong to the point that I wonder if the LW had been more direct "stop singing, it's ruining my experience", the friend would've even stopped.  
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    Speaking of LMM, I sat in front of someone at In the Heights years ago that sang along with many of the numbers.  24-yr-old Eileen just stewed but 37-yr-old me would definitely say something.   The friend is absolutely in the wrong to the point that I wonder if the LW had been more direct "stop singing, it's ruining my experience", the friend would've even stopped.  
    I love that. 

I also have a HUGE appreciation for loud NYC ushers who have zero f*cks to give about telling the rules.  When I was at Phantom with a HS BF (23 years ago!) when people took out cameras in intermission they loudly told the patrons to put that DOWN.  

Ditto for those in Carnegie Hall who told people to knock it off with the cameras in copyrighted space.  I remember being POd seeing it at 21 when my brother and the HS choir were performing there.  41 year old me would be telling others to knock it off and would be getting an usher to make it stop.  
  • Options
    "People we NEVER invite to a Theater event again!  Tis better to go alone than with bad company!"