Wedding Woes

I think you died on the wrong hill.

Dear Prudence,

​​How do I make it clear that a child’s birthday party is only for children?

My daughter recently celebrated her eighth birthday, and we had a small get-together at home with some kids’ entertainment. When I say small, I mean four kids were invited. I made it clear in my invitation that this was a drop off event (bring your child at this time and pick him up at this time). (For the record, all these kids have been at our house many times before, without parents, so that is not the issue.) One mom called to ask questions about the party and then said that she would be staying for it. I reassured her that she didn’t need to but she insisted. The day of the party both mom and dad showed up! They proceeded to stay for most of the event even though it looked totally ridiculous to have these grownups around for a child’s party.

Eventually, I convinced them to go home and told them to pick up their child at such-and-such a time. When the time came for pick up they texted to say they were out to dinner and would be a little late. This doubly infuriated me: once for inviting themselves and twice for being late to pick up. I don’t want this to happen again. How do I make this clear next time? Am I overreacting?

— You Are Not Invited

Re: I think you died on the wrong hill.

• LW you are a little unhinged. 

• Your kid is 8.  I'll be honest that all the 8 yo birthday parties I've attended (and hosted 1) were NOT a drop off party.  So perhaps the mom raised an eyebrow at LW and her rigidity about not only dropping off but at such a strict timeline.  

FFS it was four kids.  If you really need this level of control then say, "Please drop off at 2 and pick up at 6."  I'll also say that you're likely not to have this issue as your kid ages because she won't even want YOU in the room for her parties.
  • LW did everything right. I’d just have given mom and dad a glass of water with no ice in another room and not bothered entertaining them if you were busy. 
  • Yes, you’re overreacting. You kicking these parents out of your house was over the top. If you don’t want people in your house don’t host a party. If you wanted to ensure they left on time you shouldn’t have insisted they leave. 

How does someone with such little flexibility live with children?!
  • Can we just side step LW and wonder why BOTH parents came, then had audacity to pick up late because they decided to go for dinner?
    Like a bday party is not a time optional, if you wanted to do a dinner solo you didn't have to go to the party.

I don't think LW is right for kicking parents out, but if any parents are coming - just one.
  • Can we just side step LW and wonder why BOTH parents came, then had audacity to pick up late because they decided to go for dinner?
    Like a bday party is not a time optional, if you wanted to do a dinner solo you didn't have to go to the party.

I don't think LW is right for kicking parents out, but if any parents are coming - just one.
    Oh I think these parents are absolutely wrong as well.  They clearly are petty bettys.  But LW stuck their foot in this shit by being insistent that the party was for children. Period.

• banana468 said:
    Can we just side step LW and wonder why BOTH parents came, then had audacity to pick up late because they decided to go for dinner?

I think it was to assert parental authority.  It's "Oh you don't want ONE?  We're on the way.  Good luck stopping us.  Oh we aren't welcome?  We'll leave and come back on our own time because clearly you want our daughter all to yourself." 

I think those parents are something else too and any friendship with the kids is not a great start until they're older and the moms are less involved in play dates and parties. 
    I get it. But then to tell LW they're going to be late because they went for dinner?
    It just all around seems odd.
  • banana468 said:
    Can we just side step LW and wonder why BOTH parents came, then had audacity to pick up late because they decided to go for dinner?

I think it was to assert parental authority.  It's "Oh you don't want ONE?  We're on the way.  Good luck stopping us.  Oh we aren't welcome?  We'll leave and come back on our own time because clearly you want our daughter all to yourself." 

I think those parents are something else too and any friendship with the kids is not a great start until they're older and the moms are less involved in play dates and parties. 
    I get it. But then to tell LW they're going to be late because they went for dinner?
    It just all around seems odd.
    It's a classic P/A power move.  It tells the mom that she made it clear that they weren't wanted so they went out and did something else and worked it on their own time.  

They weren't *right* to do it and ignore the party end time but I'm seeing it as a clear, "If you want our kid all to yourself without us then knock yourself out and enjoy her and now we'll get her when WE are good and ready."  

I will also say that I do not want to socialize with any of those parents. 
  • While LW may be comfortable with the idea of a "Drop Off Party" other parents may not be, and that's OKAY!  I don't care if it's 4 kids or 40, there are situations like a child may have a high functioning situation or even allergy issues that the other parent may not know about, parental past situations, or the parents just may not know the LW enough to be comfortable with just dropping their kid off.  This is where one rolls with it!  

I do however side with the LW about the once they finally did leave and not be back on time aspect as being annoying AF!!
  • I think the way the LW worded the invite was fine.  But there are always people who are pushy.  While normally I'd agree with being pushy back, because there are kids involved and there could be a reason the parents didn't want to leave that they didn't want to disclose, the LW should have let this go and not pushed them to leave.  Let them sit around and watch the party, but also no need to entertain them.

It was petty of the parents to then retaliate back by (I think) purposely not coming back on time.

I'd also suggest the LW not invite this child back to another small party, unless they are okay with the parents tagging along.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LW is being weird but I also wonder if they live somewhere inconvenient for these parents and also what the window was. Like if it was a 2.5 hour window, and I have to drive 35 minutes to the other side of town (I would still leave because I have no interest in staying but...), then find some place to go after staying for 90mins, maybe there is slow service.... LW doesn't mention how late the parents were going to be. 15mins? 20? I am going to say LW is the weird one here.
  • If the child's parents wanted to stay and the LW had said the party was kids only, they could've and should've said that their daughter wasn't able to attend. Then the LW could've said they could stay. I agree it is creepy the way they handled it but we don't know why they didn't want parents around - maybe their house/apartment is too small to accommodate 8 adults plus 4 children and to include some parents and not others would be rude. I too lived for drop off parties/play dates when my kids were young.