Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Please dress modestly

I've been to weddings and wedding receptions where 1 or 2 women wear something too revealing. Don't beat me up like this forum did back in 2013. Its a wedding! If the bride doesn't want a drunk messing it up or someone spilling out of the top of the dress. We mention dress and limit drinks. We can tell people what not to show
Beaches can tell the public what to wear. My job has a dress code. And yes maybe i want my brother there but don't wish to view his wife's breasts. Wasn't there a rule about outdressing the bride once?  Good grief!  The bride in 2013 " knot forum  mentioned " Christian" responders again made something out of it. I think the bride and groom CAN request clothing not be to low or short for the clueless ones. I used to be clueless once. Maybe that explains why some people didn't talk to me, not counting the single guys.

Re: Please dress modestly

• Options
    I've been to weddings and wedding receptions where 1 or 2 women wear something too revealing. Don't beat me up like this forum did back in 2013. Its a wedding! If the bride doesn't want a drunk messing it up or someone spilling out of the top of the dress. We mention dress and limit drinks. We can tell people what not to show
    Beaches can tell the public what to wear. My job has a dress code. And yes maybe i want my brother there but don't wish to view his wife's breasts. Wasn't there a rule about outdressing the bride once?  Good grief!  The bride in 2013 " knot forum  mentioned " Christian" responders again made something out of it. I think the bride and groom CAN request clothing not be to low or short for the clueless ones. I used to be clueless once. Maybe that explains why some people didn't talk to me, not counting the single guys.
    What are you trying to say? 

Your job pays you.  Are you paying your guests?  Beaches can tell the public that topless isn't OK.  Are you planning to tell guests that topless dresses aren't allowed? 

You are confusing rules written by human resource departments and public jurisdictions with how to host an event.  

I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of this statement.  Part of hosting adults is treating them like adults. Unless your venue(s) have dress codes or you're truly hosting a black tie wedding then you have to trust your guests and if they get out of hand, they look foolish.

What do you mean by "limit drinks"?  And what are you meaning by Christian?  I'm a Catholic married woman who wouldn't take kindly to being treated like a child who doesn't know how to dress. 

• Options
    Did you just need to get all your judgment off your chest here so you don't say anything rude to your guests? I hope so.

Now skip putting any dress code on your invites, unless your venue/church actually requires it.
  • Options
    Bashing other women for the way they dress or how look in their clothes says much more about you than it does about them. 
  • Options
    What the hell is this post even about? The internalized misogyny, my god. Get your mind out of the 1950s. 

I can't even tell you what guests wore at my wedding. 
  • Options
    There's an old saying "Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it!"...  Presume the whole 2013 thing still applies and unless your event is black tie or white tie or a venue has an attire rule (Sport coat and tie required for entry into venue, Boat shoes, etc), it's rude for you to tell your guests how to dress.
  • Options
    Unless you are getting married in a house of worship that has rules about modest attire, there's really no need (and no good way) to tell your guests that they have to dress modestly. I haven't been to a ton of weddings, but I've been to enough to tell you that I've never, ever seen a guest wear anything so revealing as what you are worrying about. I suspect it doesn't happen as often as you think it does. 

Trust your guests to know how to dress appropriately for a wedding. They're adults, after all. And remember that if someone doesn't, you can't and shouldn't let it ruin your day.
  • Options
    It is gonna be super rude if you do say don't wear this or that.