Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wedding invitation family drama

My FH and I are on TOTALLY different ends of the spectrum on wedding invitation language. My parents are paying for most of the wedding, while his parents did also contribute but not nearly as much. Given proper etiquette and standard practice my parents should be the only ones who are on inviting people and considered hosts. They are also the only ones reviewing contracts and paying vendors. 

The issue is that my FH and my FIL view the “hosting” line differently. They don’t view it as who has made more of a financial contribution, but they view it more as an honoring of both sets of parents equally as a sign of respect. They come from an old school background where this is how it was always done, they have daughters and they always honored their daughters husbands family without the husbands family even throwing in a dime. They don’t consider Adding “son of” of as the same type of honor. 

I feel like my parents should be the only ones listed as hosts and my parents feel strongly about it. 

My FH feels very hurt and very upset and so do his parents. He feels like we aren’t understanding the implications this will have on future family dynamics, and this isn’t worth going into a marriage on a sour note. 

I feel like no matter what I do someone will be hurt. If I put my parents only my FH and his parents would be upset. If I put both I will be upset and so will my parents. 

Re: Wedding invitation family drama

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2021
    Not a hill to die on, add his parents as the second set of parental names.  This is not about hosting, it's about giving due respect to both sets of parents as the invitations may go to some people who know the sets of parents well but not necessarily the two of you...  It's your FI's wedding as well.  If this is going to cause you to go into your marriage on a sour note, it's a name on the invitation that all but about 10 will be tossed into the trash can after your wedding, this is not the naming of a first born, keep it in perspective with the bridal blinders off.  If you were having an arranged marriage there may be an argument, but since that's not likely the case, list both sets of parents names (Bride's name thus Bride's parents are listed first)..  

knottie9d68e3cede95de31 said:
    My FH and I are on TOTALLY different ends of the spectrum on wedding invitation language. My parents are paying for most of the wedding, while his parents did also contribute but not nearly as much. Given proper etiquette and standard practice my parents should be the only ones who are on inviting people and considered hosts. They are also the only ones reviewing contracts and paying vendors. 

The issue is that my FH and my FIL view the “hosting” line differently. They don’t view it as who has made more of a financial contribution, but they view it more as an honoring of both sets of parents equally as a sign of respect. They come from an old school background where this is how it was always done, they have daughters and they always honored their daughters husbands family without the husbands family even throwing in a dime. They don’t consider Adding “son of” of as the same type of honor. 

I feel like my parents should be the only ones listed as hosts and my parents feel strongly about it. 

My FH feels very hurt and very upset and so do his parents. He feels like we aren’t understanding the implications this will have on future family dynamics, and this isn’t worth going into a marriage on a sour note. 

I feel like no matter what I do someone will be hurt. If I put my parents only my FH and his parents would be upset. If I put both I will be upset and so will my parents. 
    ETA:  (Also, both sets are contributing whether equal dollar amounts or not!)
    Miss Jacqueline Alexia Smith

and

Mr. Mason Jacob Kim

together with their parents

Mr. and Mrs. John L. Smith &

Mr. and Mrs. Mark Franklin Kim

request the honor of your presence

at their wedding

Saturday, the seventeenth of May

two thousand and twenty

at half past four in the afternoon

Sample 2:

Olivia Rose Smith

and

John Michael Reyes

together with their parents

Kenzie M. Smith and Jennifer L. Smith

and Mark Franklin and Mary Elizabeth Reyes

request the honor of your presence

at their wedding

Saturday, the seventeenth of May

two thousand and twenty

at half past four in the afternoon

• Options

You're both wrong. Names on an invitation are not meant to show who paid, nor are they meant to show respect to parents. The names on the invitation are the person/people hosting. That is the person who a guest would go to if they had a question about dietary restrictions or parking, or where they'd send an RSVP if you don't print cards. 

The reality is that this is a very small thing in the grand scheme of a wedding (and marriage), and you're all making far too big of a deal about it. If you're all so stubborn and inflexible over something this small, the future of your family dynamics is going to be a mess no matter which route you go. 

My advice is to put all the names or just use "Together with their families" and tell everyone to grow the hell up. 
  • Options
    Using traditional language, I think you can (and should) honor both sets of parents. Yours come first, but your fiancé is listed as “son of.” Here’s an example: 

Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Ray Malvern
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter

Joelle Catherine Malvern
    to
    Taylor Owen Parnin
    Son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Everett Parnin

Saturday, the fifth of April
    two thousand and fifteen
    at three o’clock in the afternoon

Hillside Country Club
    Cheyenne, Wyoming

Dinner and merriment to follow

• Options
    Using traditional language, I think you can (and should) honor both sets of parents. Yours come first, but your fiancé is listed as “son of.” Here’s an example: 

Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Ray Malvern
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter

Joelle Catherine Malvern
    to
    Taylor Owen Parnin
    Son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Everett Parnin

Saturday, the fifth of April
    two thousand and fifteen
    at three o’clock in the afternoon

Hillside Country Club
    Cheyenne, Wyoming

Dinner and merriment to follow

The above is the EXACT wording that will irritate both the FI and his parents.  If the FI and his parents believe in listing both sets as hosts then I think the OP needs to talk to the FI's parents about their hosting, say that they'll be listed and be done with it. 

Turning the invitations into a reading of "who didn't pay enough" can have lasting impacts long into the marriage. IMO, it isn't worth it. 
  • Options
    It's a shame that the parents have to get their panties in a twist about something like this! 

Considering it is YOUR wedding, and you are inviting guests I'd go with:

"Together with their parents"

Bride and Groom invite you...

That would surely piss both of them off!   :p