Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I think my sister's plan falls under a PPD but my mom says no

Hi everyone. My question is about whether my sister's plan falls under an etiquette breach and a PPD or not. My mom says no but I have my doubts. My sister recently got engaged. Because of the pandemic and the mandates in place her and her wife got married at City Hall. No one was there besides the people who work there. They posted a video of their vows and a couple of photos of them together on social media, which were taken by an employee. They wore clothes/they already owned and the whole thing was really short.

They say that once the pandemic is better and it is safe they are going to have a reception since they couldn't do it before. I'm talking a sit down catered dinner, a DJ, speeches, dancing, the full nine yards. Like everything you do at a wedding except for the ceremony/vows part because they already did that.

My mom says it's not an etiquette problem because 1) everyone knows they are already legally married 2) they aren't doing the ceremony again and 3) they aren't asking for gifts or money, they just want to have dinner with everyone. I disagree. I think it's fine to host a party but calling it a wedding reception and doing everything that is done at a wedding besides the ceremony feels disingenuous to me. I feel like this is a modified version of a PPD and definitely a breach of etiquette. Am I wrong or is my mom? Any insights are appreciated. Thank you. Stay safe!

Re: I think my sister's plan falls under a PPD but my mom says no

• Options
    Hi everyone. My question is about whether my sister's plan falls under an etiquette breach and a PPD or not. My mom says no but I have my doubts. My sister recently got engaged. Because of the pandemic and the mandates in place her and her wife got married at City Hall. No one was there besides the people who work there. They posted a video of their vows and a couple of photos of them together on social media, which were taken by an employee. They wore clothes/they already owned and the whole thing was really short.

They say that once the pandemic is better and it is safe they are going to have a reception since they couldn't do it before. I'm talking a sit down catered dinner, a DJ, speeches, dancing, the full nine yards. Like everything you do at a wedding except for the ceremony/vows part because they already did that.

My mom says it's not an etiquette problem because 1) everyone knows they are already legally married 2) they aren't doing the ceremony again and 3) they aren't asking for gifts or money, they just want to have dinner with everyone. I disagree. I think it's fine to host a party but calling it a wedding reception and doing everything that is done at a wedding besides the ceremony feels disingenuous to me. I feel like this is a modified version of a PPD and definitely a breach of etiquette. Am I wrong or is my mom? Any insights are appreciated. Thank you. Stay safe!
    Your mom is right. The chief etiquette problem with these is lying to people. Your sister is being completely honest about already being married. She's not even doing a vow renewal or fake ceremony! 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a reception and including wedding traditions once it is safe. 
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with your sister's plans because she is being honest with her guests. I wouldn't call it a reception but rather a celebration because technically a reception is to thank your guests for attending the wedding. The pandemic has changed a lot of people's plans and it is nice to have a celebration when possible.

• Options
    If she's being honest then I think the semantics in the naming but what she's doing is fine.  

The pandemic has really made it impossible. 
  • Options
    I'd call it a wedding celebration or something like that rather than a reception, but beyond that, since they're being honest about already being married, I think the plan is totally fine.
  • Options
    Your mom is right.  The biggest issues imo with PPD's is the lying to guests.  Everyone knows they are married, they are not hiding it. I think her plans are totally fine. 
  • Options
    I agree with your mom. 
  • Options
    I'm on Team Mom. As long as your sister fully discloses what she's doing, it sounds like her plans don't constitute a PPD.
  • Options
    It's a breach of etiquette if guests are being lied to, and if they aren't hosted properly.  Neither of those things are happening, I agree with your mother that there's nothing wrong with your sister's plans.