Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Invitation Etiquette--Who is Hosting?

Hi Knotties!

I need your thoughts on how to best address my formal wedding invitation. I am going with a classic and traditional route, and I'd like to name my parents on the invitation. Some background:

- My parents are divorced, and only my father is remarried
- My fiancé's parents are married
- My father is giving a sizable amount to us to have the wedding (20k). My mother is helping me with my wedding dress, and my FIL are planning to throw the rehearsal dinner. They might help us with our honeymoon, but that's TBD.
- We are having a destination wedding in my MIL home country of Dominican Republic (non-resort wedding)
- Because we are having it in a foreign country and it happens to be my MIL home, she has been a massive help in the planning process for me, getting me in touch with recommended vendors and even paying for a trip to visit last September to interview venues and planners with me.
- We are getting married in a Catholic church and having a religious ceremony

My initial thoughts are to have it as follows:

"Ms. MOB
Mr. FOB

request the honor of your presence 
at the marriage of their daughter

My name
&
My Fiancé's name

son of Mr and MRS FIL"

I think it would be a nice nod to my FILs to include their name on the invitation, and I know pomp and circumstance goes a long way with his family, mother in particular. This will likely be her only child to wed in her home country and I know it's important to her to make a good show.

So, my main question is this:

Is it offensive to list their names under my fiancé's name as I did above? Are they considered fellow hosts since it's my MIL home city, even though it's my father who is the only parent financially contributing to the actual reception?

Sorry this was a little long winded, I felt context was necessary! I appreciate your help here. 

Re: Wedding Invitation Etiquette--Who is Hosting?

• Options
    I'm not a fan of your phrasing because it sounds like your FILs are very much helping to host and in this wording you are not listing them as the hosts.  

You want the traditional route but this route should also note all who are hosting.  You have two options here:

Ms. Bride's Mom
    Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Father (your father's wife should be listed unless she is truly absent)
    Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents

request the honour of your presence
    at the Nuptial Mass (I am assuming that your religious ceremony is a Catholic Mass - the wording changes slightly if it is not) uniting

Bridefirst BrideMiddle Bridelast

and 

Groomfirst Groommiddle Groomlast

in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony

Ceremony Date

Ceremony  Time

Ceremony Location

• Options
    This was supremely helpful, thank you. I was working off of an already formatted invitation and I was worried it wasn't giving the proper acknowledgement. Thank you also for the tip on how to list the Catholic Mass. Very much appreciated, thank you! 
  • Options
    You're welcome!

FWIW, I'm Catholic and both my ILs and parents were involved in the wedding so both were listed as hosts.   
  • Options
    I agree it definitely sounds as if your FILs are assuming some host duties. BTW hosting doesn't necessarily mean giving money. It means being a point person for questions and actually being hosts (greeting guests) at the event and helping with the planning.