Wedding Woes
Options

He sucks. DTMFA

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited January 2022 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,

My boyfriend of four years can be, by his own admission, a bit rigid and critical. I’m having trouble sorting out whether I’m too sensitive to criticism or if he’s going too far. Nothing he asks me to change is terribly burdensome or necessarily unreasonable, but taken all together, it feels like quite a lot and has me exhausted and on edge all the time trying to make sure I don’t do something wrong. I feel like everyone has a few quirks that they are more zealous about than the average person, but at what point does the sheer number become unreasonable to ask of a partner?

Some examples:

• He doesn’t like that after my alarm goes off in the morning, I like to lay in bed for 2-5 minutes, thinking about my upcoming day, getting used to being awake. He thinks I should get up and out of bed immediately when my alarm goes off.

• He’s a dentist and always drinks with a straw to minimize the time beverages are in contact with teeth and thus prevent them from becoming discolored. He believes I should too, which I don’t necessarily mind, but sometimes I forget or don’t want to dirty a straw or whatever.

• He saw a video about the best way to chop an onion. I usually do it my own way that I’m used to and he admonishes me for not doing it “the right way.” (I do the lion’s share of the cooking for us. He doesn’t really cook much at all, but used to work at restaurants while I haven’t.)

• I’ve gotten into the habit of going on runs/walks every morning. I alternate running and walking for a minute or two at a time. He thinks this is silly and I should focus on my endurance running.

• I read quite a bit and check out books from the local library. He thinks it’s ridiculous and wasteful of space that I don’t use an e-reader so there aren’t books on the tables or my desk.

• I enjoy having houseplants. I feel like I’m pretty good at keeping them alive, but I’m still learning and have lost a couple plants over the past four years. I hope to one day feel confident enough to have an indoor satsuma tree. He says that I have a black thumb and should give up.

— 99 Ways to Chop an Onion

Re: He sucks. DTMFA

• Options
    Time to cut him out of your life in your own way - just like you chop that onion. 
  • Options
    He's a controlling asshole and you need to get rid of him.

Also, the walk/run thing is growing and people are even doing interval marathons. This guy is talking out of his ass. 
  • Options
    Does the onion get into small pieces? Then that’s the right way to slice it. 

He’s wrong, controlling, and all this is unreasonable. 
  • Options
    There is so much more to life get out now he can die alone with his perfectly chopped onions. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Confession: I can't watch DH chop things because he makes me batshit.  I try to walk away before my face (or mouth) has something to say, LOL.  He will ask me sometimes how I'd do it, but he needs to have his own process and I need to not watch it. 

Anyway, that's not this guy's issue. His issue is everything.  

LW get the hell away from him.  Even if you did everything 'his' way, he'd find something else to bitch about.  He's completely unreasonable.  IDK how you've survived this long, LW. 
    Right! We all have things that drive us batty about our spouses (mine is that H cannot clean while he cooks. Like at all.) that we just deal with or walk away. 

This isn’t that. This is him finding something wrong with everything LW does- which is the start of getting angry when they don’t change the way they do things his way, and this is the start of the cycle of violence. Get out. 
  • Options
    Dump him. He's a control freak and it's not going to get better.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Confession: I can't watch DH chop things because he makes me batshit.  I try to walk away before my face (or mouth) has something to say, LOL.  He will ask me sometimes how I'd do it, but he needs to have his own process and I need to not watch it. 

Anyway, that's not this guy's issue. His issue is everything.  

LW get the hell away from him.  Even if you did everything 'his' way, he'd find something else to bitch about.  He's completely unreasonable.  IDK how you've survived this long, LW. 
    Right! We all have things that drive us batty about our spouses (mine is that H cannot clean while he cooks. Like at all.) that we just deal with or walk away. 

This isn’t that. This is him finding something wrong with everything LW does- which is the start of getting angry when they don’t change the way they do things his way, and this is the start of the cycle of violence. Get out. 
    If it's not the start of abuse, it's at the very least unaddressed mental health issues he's trying to work out on LW (be it anxiety or OCD or something).  Also, people need to stop equating acknowledgement of problematic behaviors with growth or whatever.  I'm an impatient person and my anxiety comes out as anger, but if I only acknowledge it and don't do anything to change then it means nothing. 

I find the chopping thing so absurd, but also a little relatable...but like, walk away man.  
  • Options
    I could barely get past this:
    " it feels like quite a lot and has me exhausted and on edge all the time trying to make sure I don’t do something wrong."

NOPE GTFO. This reminds me so much of my fucking ex, even with the onion chopping. Sorry, this guy isn't just "rigid". He's a full on abusive dickhead. 
    LW, to answer your question, he is going too far.

I'll even play devil's advocate.  Let's say the LW is especially sensitive.  And that the b/f isn't a bad guy.  That he has a lot of quirks along with a controlling nature.  He tries to be better (though the LW didn't say that), but it's hard because that's just who he is.

None of that matters because of the bolded.  Constantly walking on eggshells is no way to live and will cause the LW to become insecure, if they aren't already.

It can also cause them to limit how they live their life.  That's already happening because they have a goal to bring their gardening skills up to raising an indoor satsuma tree.  To which their b/f is already telling them not to bother because their skills will never be good enough.

How the b/f is acting is also causing an unhealthy power imbalance in the relationship.

If the LW does stay, then cutting onions or any other task the b/f complains about needs to immediately become "his job" in the household.  Just to make sure it's done perfectly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Guy sounds great *eyeroll* LW needs to stand up and stand her ground! If she can’t this will get worse.

This sounds like my ex too.  I had a personal trainer come to my house so I could fit my wedding dress better before alterations  (spoiler alert, I fit it - but I didn’t need that many alterations).  And during a warm down, he came home, walked outside and watched us.  After the personal trainer left he said “you did that wrong. We did it differently when I was in the army”.
    gee thanks, but I’ll still continue to listen to my certified PT.  Maybe workouts have changed in the last 20 years?