Attire & Accessories Forum

Train Extension trend- DIY?

Hi everyone,

Looking for some group brainstorm ideas here! 

I fell in love with the top half of a dress. :) Honestly couldn't find another neckline or back I loved more...I'm super excited for it to come in, but I'm trying to think of ideas on how I can make the train closer to something I love.

PS- I have thought about getting a cathedral veil, but it doesn't appeal to me/I love the open back of my dress.

Its a clean looking scalloped crepe train currently. I understand it could be a lot $$$- but I am considering purchasing extra netting and lace appliqués from my shop so I can make a custom extension if that makes sense? so its like some of the other pics i uploaded? My mom suggested getting snap buttons or hooks something so we can attach/remove the extension underneath.... thoughts? think it could look cool? Should I follow the existing shape or go more scalloped or circle? 

Re: Train Extension trend- DIY?

• Your dress is absolutely gorgeous! I like the length of the train as is but if you do add on a lace layer, I agree with your mom about making it detachable. I think a long veil would look beautiful with your dress though. You could have a veil that is one layer of material so that the back of your dress is visible through it (my daughter's veil was like that and she had a dress similar to yours in the back). You would take the veil off for the reception anyway so the back of your dress would be visible during the reception.
  • The cost factor is most likely what you're going to run into as the trim for that is going to add up quickly then comes the valuation of the time to accomplish it because that's not something you can just run through a sewing machine, that's all hand-stitching.  Only you can really decide what you want to do, but know that it's not going to be a $300 fix, if you DIY it'll be more than that for the material/lace involved.  Dealing with a bridal shop it can be upwards of $50-100/yard of the matching trim from the dress manufacturer, so be aware that the cost involved will add up as it'll take more than one thinks...  

Something I've seen done is use the cathedral veil as an overlay or possibly an underlayment type "shawl" or detachable train instead of on your hair.  That'd probably be the most economical if you can find the right lace to match to get the job done..  I'm also going to suggest online someplace like JJsHouse to check for a complimentary lace.