Wedding Woes
Options

Yes, dump your family.

Dear Prudence,

I am an unattractive person who is also possibly the most unphotogenic person you have ever met. I am fine with that, but I don’t like being in pictures or seeing pictures of myself. I come from a family with a mean sense of humor. They react angrily to my polite requests to not be in photos, often taking candids and texting them to me, like it’s a joke. I don’t know what to do other than not see them, but they get mad about that too. There is a long history of them mocking or being insensitive to things that are important to me. Do I just give up and stay away forever?

— No Photos, Please

Re: Yes, dump your family.

• Options
    LW needs to be REALLY clear here regarding their feelings.

My grandmother was one to run away from all photos but would pose for the family memorable ones when it was with her sons or group family shots.  

I'd start off by telling the family how hurt they are but would consider offering that they'd would be in group shots as a compromise.  My aunt was not photogenic but now that she's passed, I'm glad I have a couple photos of her because they're the only visuals I have of her now. 
  • Options
    Yeah they suck.

I think if LW is just moving out of a photo, standing to the side, offering to take the photo they’re fine. If they’re going on and on about how they won’t be in photos, telling people to delete photos they’re in, etc- then maybe the family is over this. 

It definitely doesn’t make it okay- the family is CLEARLY wrong here for harassing LW and sending them photos. Block them so you don’t see the photos. 
  • Options
    Hubby doesn't like to be in photos, but I want photos of him.  So we've talked about it, and I make sure that I take photos when he is wearing clothes that he doesn't mind being photographed in, and he makes sure to accomodate me and let me take the odd picture.  It's all about communication and compromise.  But if I was taking sneak photos of him and then showing them off, I could see him being upset.  I agree with Varuna, there has got to be a middle ground for LW.