Wedding Woes
Options

Just keep offering to help and/or teach him?

Dear Prudence,

I’m in my late 20s and my father is in his mid-60s. He’s recently moved to a new state and has decided to try his hand at real estate. My problem? Dad has been a stay at home dad/essentially retired for my whole life. He is a total dreamer and a sweet man, but he is completely unprepared for the current workforce, let alone a competitive field. He is also somewhat delusional when it comes to his own skills/abilities. He doesn’t understand marketing/social media and thinks he can be successful without it. He refuses to create accounts to promote himself locally like his other colleagues. He is completely puzzled by all but the most basic computer programs and websites (I still have to explain how to search for stuff on YouTube and we watch videos together every day). He has poor eyesight, but won’t wear glasses/contacts for fear of seeming “old.”

I am a typical millennial who works in a fast-paced tech profession, and his lack of computer skills is alarming to me. I offer to help him with various things, but that just highlights how little he knows, and I’m feeling a sort of secondhand-embarrassment on his behalf. He won’t take classes to “brush up” (i.e. gain computer skills) because he says “he can figure anything out.” I’m scared he’ll crash and burn because he’s just not quite able to compete. I live across the country from him but stay in touch daily. How can I help him succeed and not seem like a doddering old man?

— Old Dad, New Career

Re: Just keep offering to help and/or teach him?

• Options
    He’s an adult attempting to launch a business- he knows
    what you do for work, if he wants your help he knows where you are. As he gets more into it he’ll either realize how much of the world is digital and he’ll need to learn (and why can’t he) or he won’t. But that’s on him. 
  • Options
    I feel for the LW.  His dad is my MIL but at least MIL does not have aspirations of starting a career with licensure requirements and a need for technical abilities PLUS you generally link up to a real estate company as an independent contractor.  

I think the best ways to help him are to also point him at articles about the best practices of successful realtors.  Helping him understand tech won't do much if he doesn't embrace what is needed for him to be successful. 
  • Options
    what you do for work, if he wants your help he knows where you are. As he gets more into it he’ll either realize how much of the world is digital and he’ll need to learn (and why can’t he) or he won’t. But that’s on him. 
    See I'm reading this as the dad's a guy who won't accept reality.

He may be the old school person who values phone calls and in-person details but life doesn't work that way.

I compare the LW to the advice I hear from my parents generation about calling to follow up an application or doing things in person but more and more businesses specifically say, "DO NOT CALL" and if someone did that it automatically disqualifies them as someone who is not paying attention to work instructions and company dynamic.

• Options
    Yeah you can’t do this. He’s an adult, this is not your responsibility nor something he’s open to you taking on. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

He may be the old school person who values phone calls and in-person details but life doesn't work that way.

I compare the LW to the advice I hear from my parents generation about calling to follow up an application or doing things in person but more and more businesses specifically say, "DO NOT CALL" and if someone did that it automatically disqualifies them as someone who is not paying attention to work instructions and company dynamic.

Yah and maybe that’s the hard lesson Dad needs to learn? I think LW has done what they can and now Dad needs to figure out how to operate in the real world. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Yah and maybe that’s the hard lesson Dad needs to learn? I think LW has done what they can and now Dad needs to figure out how to operate in the real world. 
    I am guessing that if Dad is old enough to think he doesn't need to embrace technology and new ways of working, he also has the mentality that it wasn't his fault when it didn't work out.
  • Options
    Dad has made his boundary clear and LW needs to respect it.  Move along, LW, this isn't your lane/problem/concern.
  • Options
    Why try to stop him from failing? He'll be sad, I guess, but that's life sometimes. It doesn't sound like this is his one and only income opportunity to avoid homelessness or something. It doesn't sound like he'd even be able to get through the licensing process. Even if he did, he's never going to get clients.
  • Options
    He knows where to find you if he decides he needs some help. Stop trying to save him from himself. He may just have to learn the hard way that this isn't the path for him.
  • Options
    Y'all know I have started a direct sales business. In order to market, I have had to become comfortable doing Instagram video posts. I am not super tech savvy but feel like in order for my business to grow I will do it. If Dad doesn't want to use technology, he will soon find out how his business will suffer. I am still learning a graphic app and not doing so well, but I will keep at it!