Wedding Woes
Options

"Why would you say that?!"

Dear Prudence,

​​My big sister often makes jokes and comments that are really kind of mean. As we have gotten older, I’ve started to find this behavior entirely petty. Recently, our brother and his wife had a baby girl after trying to conceive for more than two years. Instead of congratulating them, my sister launched into a series of “jokes” about all the trouble my brother’s daughter (then a one-day-old baby) would cause as a teenager drinking and having sex. I found these comments completely obnoxious and said so. My sister told me that our brother “deserved” her jokes as payback for his treatment of women. How can I get my sister to understand that her behavior is mean and destructive to long-term relationships?

— Little Sister Fed Up

Re: "Why would you say that?!"

• Options
    "Why would you say that sis?  Even if our brother was not treating other women well your comments are inappropriate and not the way to combat misogyny." 

If they continue keep up with the, "That's not appropriate."   
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2022
    You can explain things all you want, but you cannot understand it for people.  Save your breath LW.  You have the choice to ignore it or call it out.  Also, you can just...not be around her.

Furthermore, clearly sister has some sort of issue(s) and is making these digs because she's angry/hurt/whatever.  Shit like this doesn't come from nowhere.  I'm not saying LW did anything to sister, but there are just people who are hurtful assholes and will never own or change their behavior.