Wedding Woes

Just let her go, LW.

Dear Prudence,

I have a very needy friend. We have been friends since high school, and are now 40. I realized years ago that I wasn’t enjoying the friendship very much, but stayed because “Jane” does not have many other friends and struggles with mental health (as do I).

The trouble is, Jane doesn’t actually treat me very well. She criticizes my choices and never misses an opportunity to boost her self-esteem at my expense. If we are in a group, she brings up any story she can think of (usually from high school) that she thinks will embarrass me. She will blame me for things that are associated with my PTSD, like not being able to drive to visit her because I have panic attacks on long car trips.

But here is where I think I screwed up. Long story short, I said something in a phone call to upset her and she hung up on me. I tried to text and sincerely apologize, but Jane was still combative over text. I then texted some things I regret—they were mostly true, but still shouldn’t have been said. After years of putting up with her, I just lost it. It was still inappropriate.

I think it’s better to end the friendship. Here’s the question—to ghost or not to ghost? I’ve blocked her number because I don’t want to get dragged into a conversation about this. I think it’s better for me to walk away, and I don’t need to justify that decision. It may even be better for her, given how I behaved. But do I owe her at least a text letting her know? Do I owe it to myself to own what I said and try again to apologize, even if I don’t want to be friends?

— Ghosting Is Rude, Right?

Re: Just let her go, LW.

• Let it go.  Ghosting is bad when you're dealing with rational adults. 

Jane isn't a rational adult.  She's toxic and any conversation that you wind up having is going to be manipulated as she gaslights you into some kind of belief that her issues are your fault. 

This relationship hasn't just run its course but it's not even on the course.  It's time to seek friendships that are mutually beneficial. 
  • There is no laws of friendship saying just because you've been friends for so long that you must stay friends.  She sounds like an objectively terrible person and not a good friend by any measure. 

Just move on, LW.  It will be OK.

And you know what? She may talk shit about how terrible you are, but that's her narrative.  You can't control that shit.  So make like Elsa. 
  • Sometimes, LW, the universe hands you lemonade. Stop trying to turn it into a lemon. This problem has solved and you have permission to move on. 
  • Look you all sound like you did harm here. You’ve already blocked her, don’t unblock to tell her you’re going to cut her out. Just be done. 
  • I am seeing a theme of weaponized mental health issues in today's letters. It's unsettling.  
  • *straining my ear because this is me*

• *straining my ear because this is me*
    I am a good friend to a fault.  It can make DH insane sometimes.  I feel you. 
  • Just walk away. Jane has been a bad friend, and you don't need to keep her in your life for old time's sake or because you feel sorry for her. You may not have been a saint in this most recent situation, but after the way she's treated you I can't blame you for snapping.

I think you've made it clear enough by blocking her phone number and refusing to engage further that you don't want to be friends anymore. There's no need to get back in touch just to tell her it's over.