Wedding Woes

Wednesday

short+sassyshort+sassy member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited March 2022 in Wedding Woes
Back to training.  It's such a drag to train someone, when I have so much other work to do.  Plus, it's just for someone to be a back-up for me, so it's not even that crucial since I'm back from my vacation anyway.  Though I do have another long one coming up in June.

They also picked someone more because of their availability, instead of someone that already had some of the core skills.  It's been taking so much more time than I thought.  Some of that is because this person is not very familiar with the network, Excel, or Outlook.  I created an extremely detailed "How To" guide, that does include some generalities of how to do things in Excel.  But it can't explain every, little thing and it's driving me a bit nuts.  

I don't blame my trainee at all.  I know it's not her fault.  She's worked here for years, but her main job is drafting.  I've just been so surprised at some of the things she doesn't know.  For example, she didn't know how to do a "search" in Microsoft Outlook.  I probably do few of those every day, lol.  But I realize now, that is more my false assumption that "everyone" in this environment already knows how to do XYZ and that's not necessarily true.

I do pull on my persona of "be calm and patient, in all things".  So I hope she doesn't pick up that I'm annoyed by the very slow pace, lol.

It's just so frustrating when it takes us 3 hours to do something I could have done in one hour.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wednesday

• Booo to allergies getting in the way of a made up face @VarunaTT <—— makeup advocate here

SSDD.  I didn’t win the lottery.  Back at work.  Really thought I was going to this time.

i also need a vacation.  No, really, my credit card wants me to.  Capital One travel reimburses credit card purchases on points per dollar ($1 for each point) on all travel costs and I have a lot of rewards saved up! But the “get cash back or buy giftcards” option is $1 for each 2 points…. Not worth it! It cuts the amount in half and I’m used to just using the eraser on travel costs.  I haven’t gone anywhere or done anything in months I guess? My Vegas trip was on Southwest points.  Capital One has a “use paypal” option and a “buy on amazon” option. Anyone know if that’s 1 point per $1? Or 2 pts per $1? 
    I do get to travel in 2 weeks….Maybe my roomie will let me charge the hotel on my Capital One card so I can use the eraser for some of it…

levioosacharlotte989875ei34
  • @VarunaTT Omg I thought it was just me. We've had some great melts and we know we have to get our furnace filter changed, but it's been crazy. I'm at the point of changing things because I'm sure dust is part issue.
    I've already started stocking up on allergy stuff {meds & hydrasense}

@short+sassy as someone who's had to do training for a few things lately - we trainees know it's taking from your time lol
    VarunaTTshort+sassy
  • So a few weeks ago I emailed the director of BK's preschool asking about how distracted BK is at school. They said they'd watch as with disturbance in routine, a lot were thrown off.

She took some time over last month, and emailed us saying they are seeing BK's distracted and wants to chat with us after March Break to just discuss what we see, what they see and overall.

I'm just really struggling with the fact that BK might have ADHD {we have an appt in May for BK's 4yr appt and noted that we wanna see her actual dr instead of one of the practitioners for this appt}
    I don't want her to struggle. I know it's not easy - M has ADHD, 2 uncles and my mum do, and tbh likely I do also.

Idk .... I just hope there are easier ways to help her now with information been updated about ADHD etc
  • H is crabby today. He didn’t sleep well and was up for a while worrying about so much stuff. When he does that he gets real stressed and he gets cold and a little cranky. It’s so frustrating. He gets so worked up about things that he takes it upon himself to do, or to do now, then gets stressed out about it, then he’s cranky because he’s stressed out. 
    mrsconn23ei34Casadena
  • @ei34 My coworker did this a couple years ago, basically you get a referral from your dr and they send you to someone like a developmental therapist.
    I know that's when they're at the age.
    We're going to get more details, but it sounds more like when they call them for circle time she's not listening - ie; distracted with current activity - and doing other things, she gets distracted with something etc.
    I may have a conversation with dr after our chat but we won't get referral for awhile. They don't officially diagnose kids until almost 7 *sigh*

Andplusalso your STBXH is a fkn douche.
  • OMG @ei34  the only slight bright side is he's clearly showing them what a shit human he is, in case they didn't already know, so I hope you never have to worry whether they understand why you did what you did.  Do you have an ETA on when you will finally be free of him?
  • OMG @ei34 the gall!  

So it's gross today and Chiquita's GS meeting is cancelled.

Back in 2016 and then last year we had group family photos taken with BIL, SIL and their kids by a local photographer.  MIL's birthday is Sunday and I had a photobook made with representative pics from the sessions.  I hope she'll love it.  

charlotte989875
  • @ei34, I'm so angry at that.  It's bad enough to be verbally abusive to you, in private.  But to do it in front of your all's young children is mostly hurting them.  And he was just setting you up to be the "bad guy".  I hope your all's divorce and custody gets finalized soon and he has to finally move out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    charlotte989875banana468
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited March 2022
    😡 @ei34, just 😡 

• I’m furious for you @ei34
  • All the hugs @ei34 - what a douche!
  • @ei34 he's so awful. My god. 

Ugh. It's snowing and raining today, after we had 3 very mild days with temps in the 50s/60s. I'm so over this. 

I slept like shit last night and crazily had a dream about Julia Fox saying Uncut Gems. Probably a sign that I've been ingesting too much pop culture. 

How is it only Wednesday? 
  • help me, oh wise and strong women. I'm so tired of having to follow up on info from people - not work related but stuff like a repair quote, financial information that was promised as a follow up to a meeting, etc.  I give grace since I know we all get busy or forget things from time to time but it's sort of a "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" and if I keep having to ask I'm over it. But I also need these people so I dont want to burn the bridge but I'm tired of being super polite about this kind of stuff.  What are ways you approach following up in a way that is still polite but also like "get your shit in gear and do your job"

• kvruns said:
    help me, oh wise and strong women. I'm so tired of having to follow up on info from people - not work related but stuff like a repair quote, financial information that was promised as a follow up to a meeting, etc.  I give grace since I know we all get busy or forget things from time to time but it's sort of a "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" and if I keep having to ask I'm over it. But I also need these people so I dont want to burn the bridge but I'm tired of being super polite about this kind of stuff.  What are ways you approach following up in a way that is still polite but also like "get your shit in gear and do your job"

"I will need this information by X date/time." 

I do this with work and while I don't always get the results I want it tells the person that their response time isn't fluid. 
  • Stress and worry has just been getting me down for the last couple weeks and there isn't going to be an end to it for (probably) weeks and some of it going into months.

We have so many vacancies coming down the line but, for various reasons, we can't even start any showings yet.  Once the showings start, it's at least Step 1.  But that is always an overwhelming time also.  And we're going to have multiples happening at the same time.  Four of the units are in the same place and almost identical to each other.  My hope is we get beau coup applications for the first one that is (almost) ready and then the other three just fall into place with the four best applications that want to rent them.  It would be a great "killing four birds with one stone" situation, which would massively cut down on the number of inquiries and showings.

I also just sent multiple, long text messages to a long-term tenant.  She recently got a 1-bedroom Section 8 voucher, but she is currently renting a 3-bedroom house.  I warned her when she first told me this that I doubted S8 would allow me to still charge the same rent, but I would double check on that.  The S8 case workers are always cagey and confusing with these kinds of questions, even a BASIC one like this.  But, while I was not told that flat out, that was the impression I was given.

I know she wanted to stay and will be disappointed.  I have mixed feelings.  She's always been a major PITA when it comes to paying the rent, including right now, and I'm not that sorry to see her go.  But I know she is going to use "but I need to move" as her new excuses for why she can't pay her rent.  I'm expecting to be left holding the bag for a lot of unpaid rent.  She's already in arrears for $435.  Even though they've been a bit sh***y to me, I do wish the the best for them.  The last thing I'd want to do is evict them, especially since they are on the cusp of a better financial place with S8.  But I will, if I have to.   The other bummer is, once she is out, it won't be rent ready at all.  We need to put in a new kitchen and will (probably) need to totally repaint the interior.  Just a lot of work, when we don't have the time or patience for it.

TBH, I suspect she will have trouble finding a place for the same reason I can't accept her voucher.  Her adult daughter lives with her, so they at least need a two-bedroom.  But S8 doesn't know that, because then the daughter's part of the household income would have been calculated in and the "mom" might not have gotten a voucher at all.  So I'm a little worried how all that is going to shake out also.

And, ugh.  Even if she found a place tomorrow, it's a good 6-8 weeks for the S8 process.  It's going to be a long road of her being even more unmotivated to pay her rent.

To summarize it all.  Uncertainty is one of the most stressful things for me and there is a LOT of uncertainty in my world right now.  Plus a lot less money, which also doesn't make me a happy camper, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    charlotte989875
  • kvruns said:
    help me, oh wise and strong women. I'm so tired of having to follow up on info from people - not work related but stuff like a repair quote, financial information that was promised as a follow up to a meeting, etc.  I give grace since I know we all get busy or forget things from time to time but it's sort of a "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" and if I keep having to ask I'm over it. But I also need these people so I dont want to burn the bridge but I'm tired of being super polite about this kind of stuff.  What are ways you approach following up in a way that is still polite but also like "get your shit in gear and do your job"

Depending on the situation, I will give 1-2 reminders.  Then I start talking about consequences, but professionally and politely.

I also give a reason for why I need X by a specific date.  In my past, I did a lot of customer service type work.  I found that when people understand the reasoning and the "why", they tend to also become more reasonable and on your side.  Even if you are telling them something they don't want to hear.

My friend needed a new roof and was adamant about getting three quotes.  Which is very tough on a random week, but almost impossible in the weeks/months after a hurricane.  She also only wanted to use local companies.

She ended up getting two quotes before she gave up.  She especially wanted a quote from this one company that is owned by firemen who do roofing on the side.  Her b/f is a fireman and, even going in, this is the company she vastly preferred.  But the guy wouldn't give her a quote.  He kept saying he would.  He kept saying he was working on it.  But never gave her the quote.

She was taking it so personally!  I told her not to.  That's par for the course with trades.  It is all the time like that.  In her final voicemail, she left him a long message about how she needed to make a decision about the roof and "if he didn't want to work with her or work on her roof, that was fine, but please just let her know.  Because she's a big girl and won't be offended, but just needs to know".  She sounded so wacky in her retelling of it!  I'm not surprised he never contacted her again.  I get it.  She was understandably annoyed.  I don't even blame her for giving him a piece of her mind.  I do that myself sometimes, even when I know it is pointless and I shouldn't.  But it was kind of funny she even called him that last time.  She should have just moved on long before that.

But she did get her new roof installed this last weekend.  I think she got a great deal on it also so, just as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    charlotte989875kvrunsVarunaTT
  • Yeah!  A little less uncertainty after my long post.

The three units we have our eviction cases for tomorrow are already vacant.  Those were the mini-nursing homes that had a master tenant for the four units.

We already got the eviction ruling on the 4th unit a couple weeks ago.  That one is rent-ready, BUT we didn't want to start any showings until all the other tenants were gone.

After the hearings tomorrow, my H is going over there to change the locks on the three and then take pics for our rental ad.  We will start showings for that one this weekend!  Phew.

Just for insult to injury...and pardon my language but I have a lot to be furious about...that worthless, f**king POS scum left all those units unlocked when she vacated her sub-lessors.  It's a f**king MIRACLE we didn't have all our appliances and a/c equipment stolen.

Disgusting that someone would f**k me out of over $9K in rent, $800 in court fees...not even counting damages...and then leave me vulnerable to have thousands of dollars in property stolen also. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm guessing that the POS also pocketed money that should have been yours @short+sassy

To add to what you said, in my field I am starting to be VERY specific, "This is on hold pending your confirmation that I have received all items on order.  Once YOU confirm that these items are complete I will follow up with the order acknowledgment which is based on production and lead times from suppliers."

It's about putting teeth in the process so the person knows that things are not starting until they supply with the needed details.  That can mean that there isn't anything on any calendar until that response is done. 

Also, in light of the current climate and supply chain, it is not surprising that more and more places are going to need additional documentation in writing for any kind of confirmation.  
    VarunaTTshort+sassy
  • oh man @short+sassy that's a lot going on!  I haven't been around as much so I missed out on the mini nursing home lady screwing you over - I hate that you're dealing with that. I hope you are able to find the tenants for the 4 units as quickly as possible,

btw did your duplex next door unit get rented out? I think that was the air bnb guy who then was leaving/stopping rentals?

charlotte989875short+sassy
  • @banana468, yes, I'm sure she was still collecting rent from her sub-lessors.  My H and I had definitely been fearful that we'd go in after the court eviction and have to kick out people who were also her victims.  So we're glad it didn't come to that.  I assume she made other arrangements for them and hopefully they are okay, wherever they went.  But with a person like that, I wouldn't be surprised if she is running some kind of scam on her sub-lessors also.

@kvruns, it's funny you should mention our next door tenant.  You're remembering the right person and story.  He gave us his notice to vacate back in August.  But then Hurricane Ida hit and his personal home and his own rentals, that were much closer to the storm, ended up all being damaged and in unlivable condition.  He's from a town about one hour from NOLA.  Because of that, he asked if he could rescind his 30-day notice, which was totally fine with us.  We hadn't even started advertising it yet.  He's a great tenant and we were happy he didn't leave.

I'm not sure what his long-term plans are.  We chit-chat occasionally if we are walking in/out at the same time.  Unprompted by me, he laughed at himself a couple months ago and told me he still hasn't even started any of the renovations for his properties.  It was in passing, so I'm not sure why or if he is waiting on insurance money or just hasn't had time/motivation to bother with it yet.

He is a dynamo who has tons of energy and keeps his plate very full.  But also becomes very passionate and motivated about something.  Only to completely lose interest a relatively short time later.  I suspect his damaged properties have been in the "unmotivated" category.

The whole reason he had given us notice in the first place is because he was tightening his belt to go back to school for a PhD and the NOLA travel market hadn't come back from the pandemic.  But now it has.  So even when he gets his personal home back up and running, he could go back to Airbnbing our unit like he was before so that it paid for itself.  But it's hard to tell with him sometimes.  He's also talked about building or buying his own NOLA multi-family.  So he could live in one of the units and Airbnb the other ones.  He'd probably leave if he did that.  But maybe not or he might never do that anyway, lol.

I typically only do a one-year lease, at first.  And then it converts to month-to-month forever, after that.  So he does have the flexibility to give us another 30-day notice to vacate anytime he wants to.  We'll be sad for ourselves when that day comes, but it will probably be for an exciting reason for himself and we'll be happy for that.  My humble brag.  My personal duplex is in a hot, sought-after neighborhood and we easily find tenants for next door.  We could also AirBnB it ourselves and make even more money.  But that's also more hassle I'm not sure I'd want, lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    kvruns
  • @short+sassy can you go creep on the Today show Hoda & Jenna broadcasting live from NO this week
    mrsconn23short+sassyVarunaTTSTARMOON44
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited March 2022
    kvruns said:
    @short+sassy can you go creep on the Today show Hoda & Jenna broadcasting live from NO this week
    I suppose I could, lol.  But being in a studio audience is not really my cup of tea, plus I would have to take vacation time from work.  I don't watch the show, but had vaguely heard something about them coming here awhile ago.  Edited to add:  I'm sorry to have let down the team, lol.

I just looked it up, out of curiosity.  I already missed the first show taping, but their second show taping is in about one hour.

They're taping out of Jackson Square, which is an iconic location in the French Quarter.  It isn't far from my work, lol.  About a 30 minute walk or a 10 minute drive with a 10 minute walk (unless paying to park closer).

I will tell you all a funny, historical story about the Andrew Jackson statue that is in that square.  It's also a great story for March (Women's Month).  It's one of my favorite NOLA stories:

After AJ passed away, the city wanted to put a grand statue up in that square because he was the hero of the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812.  As an aside, that battle site is not in present-day NOLA.  It's in a suburb city called Chalmette, about 20 minutes away.  But the city needed $$$$ to do that.  They didn't have much luck with fundraising.  They wanted the statue to face in the direction of where the battle was.

Baroness Pontalba was good friends with AJ during his lifetime.  There were rumors they were "more" than friends.  She actually opened the first apartment building in the US.  That building is still there to this day.  It is next to Jackson Square.  In the present-day, the first floor is retail and the upper floors are still primarily residencies.

One note about AJ.  He was the first president to shake women's hands instead of tipping his hat to them.  He felt he was "too good and important" to show deference by tipping his hat.

The Baroness made an offer to the city.  She would 100% pay for the statue, but there were conditions.  Instead of it facing the Battle of New Orleans, it would face in the opposite direction.  To her apartment building.  The statue also needed to be tipping his hat.

And about 200 years later.  His statue is still tipping his hat to her apartment building.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    charlotte989875MNNEBride