Wedding Woes

Frosty Friday

Woke up to snow.  Womp, womp. 

Last night, we went to an awards dinner for scouts.  Unfortunately my allergies/sinuses were on fire by then, so I was miserable.  I got home and kicked all my remedies into high gear.  After a nighttime alka-seltzer (taken with whiskey, natch), a neti-pot, nose strip, vicks on my feet, and sleeping half sitting up, I'm not doing too bad.  Not great, but feeling better than I expected.  Fingers crossed it was the worst of it. 

On our way home, BOTH of our headlights were out.  DH had one replacement headlight.  He's getting a second one today and thankfully he has a place he can pull into in one of his work buildings where he can replace them today out of the elements. 

Tonight will be low-key, tomorrow we're heading OOT to stay with Tom's cousin, and then Sunday is the memorial.  I'm toying with taking Monday off because it's going to be a long day/late night, but it may just be sick time instead of vacation.  My boss knows the score and knows not to expect me at least half of Monday.  

What's up for your weekend? 

Re: Frosty Friday

• Man, I'm sorry you have to do all of that to get some relief. How frustrating. 

We went out to dinner last night, and on the way home saw a HUGE bear eating out of some trashcans. Was totally unbothered by us while we stopped the car and watched. It was honestly the first time I've seen a wild bear so close up..haha. And the two margaritas I had last night were just enough to make me hungover today. 

No real plans this weekend. I was going to see my nephew tomorrow but now we're getting another snow storm. 
    mrsconn23charlotte989875
  • OMG at the bear.  That's insane!! 
  • We're getting snow later today :( I was so tempted to just put on my rainboots today because it's fairly mild but M gave heads up drive home might be shitty.

Fuck this time of year!

BK has a cold. It's going around preschool. She'd pass the screening but we're keeping her home anyways to let her rest.
    Yesterday she was in a miserable mood, like what's beyond stage 5 clinger because that was BK - I had to call out of work because she was just a mess.

No fever, but she was stuffy and you knew she felt miserable. And she is 1000% mama's girl when sick. Also she's constantly almost near a meltdown.
    Anyways, she would only lay on the couch near me. For nap she usually wants someone to lay with her for a few mins, but BK wouldn't let me leave and insisted I spooned her lol
    She crashed fairly quick, and I really only give into this when she's sick.

I ran her humidifier during nap, and before bed {I don't feel comfortable to do all night} and we had some eucalyptus bubble bath, plus some vicks vapo rub.
    Today she seems to be in a better spot, but she's still sniffly.
    charlotte989875
  • Glad your feeling better.  Absolutely take a sick day Monday @mrsconn23
    Was the bear wearing jeans @climbingsingle? Because if it was… I have a good idea who it was

Nothing going on here. Last night the woman I’m sharing the Nashville room with suggested I go out to a planned dinner with the group so we could get to know each other better. We didn’t even sit next to each other or talk that much! Dinner was ok and I actually talked a bit more to 2 others going on the trip.

i’m getting my “prp filler” slushy tonight after work so I don’t want to be in public very much. Not doing much else but my hair extensions on Saturday.  I may go to some dealerships to see what my options are to lease. Exciting stuffs

VarunaTTMyNameIsNotcharlotte989875ei34
  • @Casadena I just had a good laugh at myself b/c I read too fast and I was like, "He got a cold wagon?  Where is she from again, is this a canadian word for sled or something?"  I was getting ready to google and read again.  Oh, cooL wagon.  **refills coffee**

No big plans for the weekend.  I was talking to a friend who had covid at the same time I did and we both felt like we had a slide backwards in the fatigue area.  I was feeling a lot better before my birthday and I must've pushed it too hard b/c I'm back to falling asleep almost right after I eat and having to drag myself out of bed to get to work for the last 2 weeks again.  Plus resting on the weekends.  She's feeling the same.  My brain fog seems to be lifting pretty decently; I'm not having as many problems with finding words, even if I am, I usually find it pretty quickly now and I haven't forgotten anyone's name (that I should know) in a few weeks.

I'd like to see Batman and Uncharted, but it's all dependent on how I feel.
    charlotte989875STARMOON44
  • @climbingsingle are bears normal that area and this time? I didn't think they'd wake up yet

@CharmedPam lolololol Smokey.

@Casadena What a trooper! Idk if you've mentioned, but have they said what his scale is? Obv not good to have it but like "we caught it at a really early stage" ?
  • Have a big weekend up ahead.

Tomorrow Chiquito has a play date with a friend he's been BEGGING to have over.  While they have their date DH and I need to clean up and prep for hosting MIL and some relatives Sunday for her birthday.  We're also doing what you're NEVER supposed to do and trying a recipe for the first time making beef wellington.  

I'm also making Ina Garten's Beatty's chocolate cake which is SO GOOD.  

DH and I also need to sit down and write a letter to Chiquita's school.  She has had some verbal altercations with a kid on the bus and he's been aggressive previously.  6 months ago he broke her phone screen but it's still usable and on her birthday he ripped the pom pom off her hat (that I made her!) .  These were instances that the school knew about and we've told her to keep her distance from him but it's easier said than done when he hangs out with the twin brother of one of her best friends.  Wednesday on the bus when the boy was getting teased by others she said something (again - not silent or blameless in verbal arguments) but the boy kicked her in the chin.   Chiquita and the boy now have assigned seats on the bus and I need to address with the school that this is a child with escalating physical behavioral issues and the most recent one was an assault to my child's face.  I'm not going to call the local police or get litigious however we absolutely intend to address to school administration that escalating behavior needs to be addressed and we do not intend to be quiet should this child act out against her again.
    MissKittyDangermrsconn23charlotte989875
  • Honestly I don't even know. I've always lived further downstate closer to the city, so it was rare to ever see bears. I did ask N and he said maybe because it's been on the milder side temp-wise. My mom lives in the Poconos and she said she thought it was early as well. 
    MissKittyDangercharlotte989875
  • @mrsconn23,I hope you already had the worst of it also and continue to feel better.

Speaking of snow, last night I was looking at apartment complexes and RV parks for sale across the country (more on that later).  I saw a mobile home park where the ground and everything was covered in snow.  I thought to myself, "Whoa, where is that located?" (checked the location).  Carlsbad, NM.  Huh (head tilt).  Okay.  Not what I was expecting, lol.

But where I live, temperature-wise, we are all over the place.  Each day is a surprise if we will be turning on our heat, our a/c, or neither.  Usually it's a combo, lol.

My H and I are at a cross roads for what we want to do next with our business.  NOLA hasn't seen the crazy appreciation in real estate that so many other places have, but we've definitely had some!  We're thinking about selling one of our duplexes that is about to be vacant (not either of the previous mini-nursing home ones) and the one SFH we have that is currently vacant.  If we did that, we'd have roughly enough for a down payment on a smaller apartment complex or mobile home park.  OR down payments for a few short-term vacation rentals.  We are going to an in-depth, multi-day seminar about that in September.

Other than staying in this country, we are not tied to location for either of those choices.  We would hire a PM firm, unless it happens to be close enough for us to do it ourselves (unlikely).

My H is leaning more toward renting those units out for now and selling them later.  Possibly after we've gone to the seminar and can better decide what we want to do.  A good point.  But, especially for the SFH, it's WAY easier and less hassle to sell properties if tenants are not living there.

But I'm more leaning in the other direction.  I'd rather sell them now while they're vacant and market is the hottest.  My rank guess is that the real estate market (in general) is going to have a pull-back once some of the frenzy dies down.  I could see that happening by this winter.  It seems like most people, including some experts disagree with that and don't think there will be a pull-back at all.  But market forces always even themselves out.  I don't think it will be anything major but, in the short-term, I feel those properties will be worth less 6-12 months from now, than they are right now.

Plus, if opportunity strikes and I see a deal that really aligns with what we are looking for, I need to be able to jump quickly.  I can't jump quickly if my down payment money depends on selling two properties, lol.

Another point in my favor that I need to talk to my H about is, even if we sell and keep the money liquid for awhile, that doesn't mean we'd be missing out on ALL the rent we would otherwise be earning.  We could invest it in something like a conservative mutual fund.  The ROI might not be as much as rental income, but even at a 7% return, we'd still be replacing a good bit of the rental income we are losing.

For the long term, especially since we want to leave NOLA anyway within the next few years, I think selling a couple of our properties now is the better option.  Then parlay those proceeds into rental opportunities out of this area using a PM firm.

But, argh!  It's good pros and cons, either way.  Not an easy decision, but I'm very thankful to have the options!  If you got through that and any of you all have thoughts/opinions, I'd love to hear them.  Even if you agree with my H, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    charlotte989875
  • @VarunaTT I’m feeling the same. Last weekend was the first weekend since having Covid that I drank decently hard (oh birthdays). Since then I’ve been so tired and the last two days on my hike I’ve been really short of breath and my pulse ox has been dropping to the 70s. Super excited about the Long COVID. Ugh. 

Six more days of work left. I really need the background check to go through. There’s no earthly reason it shouldn’t, I’m a very boring person, but it’s taking a really long time and that is not good for my anxiety. It’s the last step before I proceed with signing all of my official onboarding documents for taxes, etc. Work is low key driving me nuts. I know my manager is stressed tf out about losing me. I really am the third manager. My staff keep coming up to me and asking what they’re going to do when o leave, who will do x, how will they do y thing, and I’m just like…you guys know you still have a manager, right? 

VarunaTTcharlotte989875
  • @banana468 Holy crap. I'm not going to lie, I'm impressed by how you're handling this. I probably would have raged early on if the school didn't do much.
    Are you going to entertain talking to law enforcement if school doesn't deal? I know some high schools here have a mediator if it gets bad enough - they're not police per say, but they are in law enforcement.
    What's your anticipated out come for the letter?
    I know it's odd, but could you consider a meeting with the kid's parents so they're aware of your stance on the situation?
  • I like your idea of selling a few now, @short+sassy, to make some money on the ones you have left.  Then move to a hotter market.
    @levioosa, I don’t know what it is, but background checks take FOREVER.  Often times our new hires want to start on x day, but can’t till y.  Why? Because the background check hadn’t gone through yet.
    I bet TLC and the 90Day Fiance team don’t use employment background check companies 😉 (only fans will get that one)

levioosashort+sassy
  • @banana468 Holy crap. I'm not going to lie, I'm impressed by how you're handling this. I probably would have raged early on if the school didn't do much.
    Are you going to entertain talking to law enforcement if school doesn't deal? I know some high schools here have a mediator if it gets bad enough - they're not police per say, but they are in law enforcement.
    I know it's odd, but could you consider a meeting with the kid's parents so they're aware of your stance on the situation?
    Schools do not tell parents about the punishment that another student faced.  That's the general protocol I've seen throughout multiple school systems in state.

I'm not going to law enforcement now and instead I intend to get this documented with the school.  We're talking about kids who aren't even teenagers yet and I do need to keep that in mind when dealing with the situation.  That said, I am not going to be a pushover nor will I agree that my child is equally at fault when she's contributed to a verbal altercation and the other child escalated with physical violence. 

I do not intend to meet with the child's parents yet but will consider it if it's warranted.  As luck would have it because they're on the same bus Chiquita knows that they live within walking distance of us.  If I did meet with them it would be with a neutral 3rd party present. 
    MissKittyDangercharlotte989875STARMOON44
  • banana468 said:
    @banana468 Holy crap. I'm not going to lie, I'm impressed by how you're handling this. I probably would have raged early on if the school didn't do much.
    Schools do not tell parents about the punishment that another student faced.  That's the general protocol I've seen throughout multiple school systems in state.

I'm not going to law enforcement now and instead I intend to get this documented with the school.  We're talking about kids who aren't even teenagers yet and I do need to keep that in mind when dealing with the situation.  That said, I am not going to be a pushover nor will I agree that my child is equally at fault when she's contributed to a verbal altercation and the other child escalated with physical violence. 

I do not intend to meet with the child's parents yet but will consider it if it's warranted.  As luck would have it because they're on the same bus Chiquita knows that they live within walking distance of us.  If I did meet with them it would be with a neutral 3rd party present. 
    At least you know what to anticipate with other schools.

I know with other people, I've seen both sets of parents meet at the school since that's where the altercation is happening - that way it's neutral zone.

Poor Chiquita, how's her chin?
    Hopefully this is all dealt with easily.
  • banana468 said:
    @banana468 Holy crap. I'm not going to lie, I'm impressed by how you're handling this. I probably would have raged early on if the school didn't do much.

At least you know what to anticipate with other schools.

I know with other people, I've seen both sets of parents meet at the school since that's where the altercation is happening - that way it's neutral zone.

Poor Chiquita, how's her chin?
    Hopefully this is all dealt with easily.
    She has a pink mark on the chin and a sore inside her lip where it met her tooth.  She looks fine and has no school today.  I've asked them to keep wearing masks so for the most part this isn't visible. 

MissKittyDangercharlotte989875
  • banana468 said:
    She has a pink mark on the chin and a sore inside her lip where it met her tooth.  She looks fine and has no school today.  I've asked them to keep wearing masks so for the most part this isn't visible. 

Poor girl!

• I like your idea of selling a few now, @short+sassy, to make some money on the ones you have left.  Then move to a hotter market.
    @levioosa, I don’t know what it is, but background checks take FOREVER.  Often times our new hires want to start on x day, but can’t till y.  Why? Because the background check hadn’t gone through yet.
    I bet TLC and the 90Day Fiance team don’t use employment background check companies 😉 (only fans will get that one)
    Yes!  I feel like they very purposefully do not want to know to much about their cast.

TLC:

Oh?  A cast member was just sentenced to 18 years for almost killing his ex-g/f?  And he'd already been arrested for this crime a month before our cameras were rolling?

Gosh.  So terrible we didn't know (cough, cough).  We sure hated all that free publicity for our show.  Whoops!  I mean, we sure hate we may have been complicit in potentially putting another woman in danger.  Again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Casadena, Glad you're getting a break and happy that G was in good spirits about the toy at least!

@short+sassy, I tend to agree with you that the market always levels, but one thing that is a little different about this cost increase is the Zillow effect. I'm not sure how widespread this is in your market, but around me, companies like Zillow/OpenDoor/etc were buying up homes right and left. They'd do lazy flips and eventually list them, but they are collectively sitting on a lot of vacant inventory. I don't know where this goes long term, but it seems like there's more risk for volatility. I think you're right to want to start selling some now. 

I have a busy weekend coming up, and it's shortened by an hour. They're calling for snow (flurries) overnight, but we all know it's just going to be rain. Tomorrow I'm hiking once the rain clears in the morning, then we're going to medieval times for BIL's birthday. Sunday we're going to do the flat run at the park and then we're meeting up with some friends to go to a game. 
    charlotte989875short+sassy
    Yes!  I feel like they very purposefully do not want to know to much about their cast.

TLC:

Oh?  A cast member was just sentenced to 18 years for almost killing his ex-g/f?  And he'd already been arrested for this crime a month before our cameras were rolling?

Gosh.  So terrible we didn't know (cough, cough).  We sure hated all that free publicity for our show.  Whoops!  I mean, we sure hate we may have been complicit in potentially putting another woman in danger.  Again.
    Right.  The Alina thing I can see getting away with, since it was a social media post… but the Geoffrey thing…. C’mon now.

short+sassy

TLC:

This has been the same question about Bravo and the people they bring on to the show.  How the hell are they vetting them? 

In the last year, the winner of season 18 of Top Chef (Gabe Erales) was fired from his restaurant before appearing on the show for sexual harassment and an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate (while married with kids, of course).  And then they had a cast member of Real Housewives of Salt Lake (Jen Shah) get hunted down by the feds during filming because she's been running a massive fraud scheme for years and everyone in her organization under her has pleaded out.  She's supposed to go to trial in July and is facing 50 years if convicted on all counts.  Plus, you had a Real Housewife of Beverly Hills (Erika (Girardi) Jayne) married to the lawyer behind Erin Brockovich and it turns out he's been defrauding victims of settlements for massive air crashes for years in a Ponzi scheme, in part to support his wife's lifestyle and persona as a pop star.  Plus you had the couple from Real Housewives of New Jersey (Teresa and Joe Giudice) both go to prison for lying on their taxes.  They held the show her to do her time and then come back.  He got deported because he was brought here as a baby and never became a citizen. 

Most of this information was online before these people started filming their respective shows.  A lot of Bravo content creators have mused if Bravo is basically trying to move into the 'true crime' realm or at least, are fine with it becoming the intersection where their shows are residing.  
    charlotte989875climbingsingleshort+sassy
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @Casadena I'm glad G was excited for his wagon.  Child Life is wonderful.  And also glad you're getting some errand time.  I've been thinking of you each day 
    @mrsconn23 feel better soon! Does Zicam provide you any sinus relief? @climbingsingle I've have some close-ish encounters with bears in New Hampshire, they're something else
    @banana468 none of that kid's behavior is okay and you're very smart to get all of this documented with the school and the district now

Another sad day at work.  The student who died was Muslim and they bury their dead as soon as possible since they don't embalm, so in addition to helping students there's been a lot of jumping around to cover classes for teachers who attended the services.  Very ready for the weekend, which is blissfully pretty open.  Tomorrow looks stormy and snowy and I'm planning on not going anywhere.
    VarunaTTcharlotte989875
  • @Casadena, I'm glad G was so excited about his new gift!  Especially when it brightened his day on an especially long hospital visit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It might snow today too. Where is my pleasant spring weather.
    mrsconn23
  • @Casadena - Thanks for the update.  I'm so glad G is loving his wagon and that you are receiving support from Child Life.
    @mrsconn23 - I hope you get relief from your symptoms - allergies are tough.
    @banana468 - I'm sorry you guys have to go through this but absolutely agree with getting documentation at the school level.
    @ei34 - Sudden death is so hard, especially on high schoolers.  Thanks for helping support your students.
    @climbingsingle - Bear!  Yikes!  We had a racoon right outside our patio door last night.  Scared the crap out of me as I went to close the drapes!  He was contentedly munching on leftover peanuts we put out for the squirrels.  

DH and I are trying a new pizza place tonight.  I need to get groceries (make groceries per Short&Sassy lol), run some other errands and then drop our second car off at the mechanic sometime over the weekend.  Otherwise nothing special planned.
    climbingsinglemrsconn23short+sassy
  • DH just sent me a text of my new headlights.  He said he watched a YouTube tutorial and the guy said that Subaru charges $400 for the service.  He paid about 10% of that and technically got paid to do it since he's at work.  So win, win, win all around.  
    VarunaTTMNNEBrideMissKittyDangercharlotte989875