Wedding Woes

Leave the man alone.

Dear Prudence,

My brother is 40 years old and his wife died suddenly four years ago. He got through the depression but says he isn’t really interested in finding anyone else, which I guess is ok. For many years, his hobby has been photography, and he takes a lot of beautiful pictures, some of which have been exhibited. He recently started photographing a very lifelike mannequin he calls Jennifer, saying she’s cheaper than a model. I was at a friend’s place one evening and somehow we got onto concept of Love Dolls, i.e. realistic, anatomically correct life size dolls some men use as sex partners. One of the group pulled up a website that sells love dolls, and there was one that looked just like Jennifer! I was shocked but didn’t say anything because it’s embarrassing. My brother is a nice, good-looking guy with his own home and a good career, so he should have no trouble finding a partner. Why he’s doing this makes no sense. I have not confronted him about this nor told anyone else. Should I talk to him or other family members about this? It just isn’t right.

— Concerned About Brother’s Silicon Wife

Re: Leave the man alone.

• I think HBO’s Real Sex had a segment on this.  It’s more common than you think.  Of course it’s weird to me… but as long as your brother isn’t murdering anyone, let him be. 

• I think it's an odd coping mechanism, but to each their own.  It doesn't need to make sense to you.  If he's not hurting anyone else, then he's fine.  It's really not your business.  Also if you go gossip to family about this and/or try to stage some sort of  'intervention', you may never hear from him again. 
  • It's absolutely fine that you didn't say anything, b/c this is not your business at all, ever, and will never be (without going to extreme situations).  Continue not saying anything and work on why you think you need to.

• Why is it odd if there's a doll vs. his left hand?  

Unless he's treating "Jennifer" like she's a family member let it go.  He may not want a real relationship? 
  • Is it also possible that a sex doll just happened to be the most realistic mannequin that he could find for photography?  Sometimes people buy things for other uses than what they were made for.  
    Also, I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if the brother was using it for its intended use either.  Oh no, people have needs and sometimes use tools for that, ...

• kerbohl said:
    Is it also possible that a sex doll just happened to be the most realistic mannequin that he could find for photography?  Sometimes people buy things for other uses than what they were made for.  
    Also, I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if the brother was using it for its intended use either.  Oh no, people have needs and sometimes use tools for that, ...
    Right?   Maybe I need to see if there's one out there for women named Channing? 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2022
    banana468 said:
    kerbohl said:
    Is it also possible that a sex doll just happened to be the most realistic mannequin that he could find for photography?  Sometimes people buy things for other uses than what they were made for.  
    Exactly.  Does LW own a vibrator or dildo or some other pleasure item that does not require a human partner to satisfy ones self?    It's not *that* different.  

There was a whole ass movie about a dude acting like a life-size doll was his companion and confidant.  I can't remember the name of it.  Also, Whitney Cummings had a doll made for herself (I think it was for a show she was working on) and I listened to her talk about it on a podcast.  It's actually a huge industry for disabled people that have had issues finding a partner.  She spoke much more eloquently on it, but there is actually a market and a need for these companion dolls. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    kerbohl said:
    Exactly.  Does LW own a vibrator or dildo or some other pleasure item that does not require a human partner to satisfy ones self?    It's not *that* different.  

There was a whole ass movie about a dude acting like a life-size doll was his companion and confidant.  I can't remember the name of it.  Also, Whitney Cummings had a doll made for herself (I think it was for a show she was working on) and I listened to her talk about it on a podcast.  It's actually a huge industry for disabled people that have had issues finding a partner.  She spoke much more eloquently on it, but there is actually a market and a need for these companion dolls. 
    Was it Mannequin from the 80s or something more current? 
  • Lars and the lady or something? @mrsconn23 something with Lars in it.
    The only argument I have between a dildo vs a doll is, one can bring the doll out to the park for a photoshoot with minimal glances.  You bring The Rabbit to your landscape photoshoot and you’re going to get questioned. 

• banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    kerbohl said:

That's what I was thinking of. Wasn't that Kim Cattrell?
  • Lars and the lady or something? @mrsconn23 something with Lars in it.
    The only argument I have between a dildo vs a doll is, one can bring the doll out to the park for a photoshoot with minimal glances.  You bring The Rabbit to your landscape photoshoot and you’re going to get questioned. 
    Lars and the Real Girl! 

And yes, your rabbit will get looks if you take it out in a park.  LMAO  

But I think this speaks to how women and men are conditioned to find fulfillment in their relationships.  Women don't need a doll to talk to and photograph in a park, because many women have cultivated intimate and deep connections with their girlfriends where they can talk about *everything*.  Men are conditioned to be 'bros' with their guy friends and not get too 'deep' (because feels are 'gay'...ugh). Of course this is a quite generalized overview, but YKWIM. 
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    kerbohl said:

There's a recent one with Ryan Gosling

*googles*

"Lars and the Real Girl"