Wedding Woes
Options

Keep saying no. She needs to figure it out.

Dear Prudence,

After my husband died, I downsized into a one-bedroom garden cottage. I have always wanted a true green space but never had the opportunity with three children and several dogs. Then my sister got sick and had no place to go, so she moved in with me. We share the bedroom or alternate on the daybed I got to replace the couch. I love my sister and we get along fine, but the space is cramped. I usually visit my children at their homes instead of them coming here.

My daughter “Michelle” is 24 and works in a creative field in the big city. She has several roommates. Michelle dropped a bomb on me last week: She is currently pregnant from casual sex. She went home with a few different fellows and can’t get in contact with any of them. She wants to keep the baby. The problem is her roommates are not going to live with any infants, and her company doesn’t pay enough to cover the costs of raising a baby in the city by yourself. But, they were willing to have her work remotely. Michele’s solution is she moves in with me, and her aunt can watch the baby while she works. It will be “fine,” she says.

It will not be fine. My sister has a hard time doing anything more than sleeping after her treatments. Between two old ladies, chores are not so bad. Adding a baby in the mix would be. I told Michelle that wouldn’t fly. She needed to plan how she would be as a mother on her own while she still had the choice. She cried and called me the “bitch from hell.” I love my daughter, but I literally and figuratively can’t afford to take care of her and his baby. Not in space, time, or money. What do I do?

— No Room

Re: Keep saying no. She needs to figure it out.

• Options
    Keep saying no.  This is her puzzle to figure out and you don't have to help, especially when you're not capable of helping.
  • Options
    Michelle was awfully presumptive that mom would just fix this.  There's no reason you need to uproot or change your life to help her, LW.  This is a time to hold those boundaries and especially after the baby comes. If Michelle opts to be a parent, you are no co-parent or free babysitter. 

• Options
    This is a time that you can tell Michelle that she has options to look into but your time and home are not on the table. 

It is not fair to anyone or to the immune system of your sister to ask her to be the caretaker of a sick person.  If she is having treatments I am curious if they are chemo-like which can mean that a suppressed immune system + child who spreads all germs is actually a horrible idea medically.

If I were LW the thing I *would* do is help the DD look into her options: is there housing assistance at her income level? What about WIC / food stamps?  Are there options for lower cost daycare or tax credits?  And what about adoption?  It isn't a horrible idea either.  
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2022
    I don't even understand Michelle's thinking.  Her company lets her work remotely.  Awesome.  Move out of the big, expensive city.  Move to a LCOL city, where she can easily (probably) afford the rent.

@banana468, that's a great idea also for the LW to help her find programs that offer assistance.  SNAP (food stamps) is one of the easiest ones to apply and qualify for.
    The point of relocating is also a good one.  If you can work remotely and don't need to go into the office then find a place within your budget that isn't the city itself.    Just look to NYC to see that people were getting out of Manhattan and either into upstate, plus NJ and CT or into boroughs and LI areas that were lower cost compared to that huge COL area back when the pandemic hit and people weren't living in that space. 

ETA - The judgmental person in me is saying that the daughter's actions are showing that she's needing assistance in looking for solutions to her problems that involve changing her wants for needs and how to do those things without relying on relatives.