Wedding 911
Options

I get married a week from today...and my fiance ruptured his achilles tendon

I'm supposed to get married a week from today and my fiance called me this morning from NYC (where he was supposed to be flying home from today) that he ruptured his achilles tendon and had emergency surgery. I'm so glad he's ok and it looks like he should be able to fly home in the next few days but I have no idea how to proceed. He wants to postpone but with friends and family traveling here in a matter of days, and the fact that our lives are going to get more complicated in the next few months, I don't know if that's feasible. But am I being unreasonable? Our beach wedding cannot happen anymore so we will have to move to a location that's accessible for him, and I have no idea how much pain he's going to be in over the next several weeks, much less the next several days. I seriously don't know what the best thing to do is. This will not be the wedding we planned, but we want to get married after 6 years together, but I also don't want to push him during recovery from a shocking and painful injury. I'm rambling, and I guess just looking for sympathetic ears. Thanks for reading.

Re: I get married a week from today...and my fiance ruptured his achilles tendon

• Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this!  If he wants to postpone, I'd defer to him.  He knows how he is feeling and it's understandable he doesn't want to be feeling miserable and in pain on his wedding day.

If you all make a decision to postpone, obviously notify all guests right away.  There might be some out-of-town people who come in anyway.  If it's possible, try to at least spend some time with them while they are in town.  People will understand.

I hope your fiance starts feeling better soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm supposed to get married a week from today and my fiance called me this morning from NYC (where he was supposed to be flying home from today) that he ruptured his achilles tendon and had emergency surgery. I'm so glad he's ok and it looks like he should be able to fly home in the next few days but I have no idea how to proceed. He wants to postpone but with friends and family traveling here in a matter of days, and the fact that our lives are going to get more complicated in the next few months, I don't know if that's feasible. But am I being unreasonable? Our beach wedding cannot happen anymore so we will have to move to a location that's accessible for him, and I have no idea how much pain he's going to be in over the next several weeks, much less the next several days. I seriously don't know what the best thing to do is. This will not be the wedding we planned, but we want to get married after 6 years together, but I also don't want to push him during recovery from a shocking and painful injury. I'm rambling, and I guess just looking for sympathetic ears. Thanks for reading.
    That really sucks and I’m so sorry it’s happening. 

I do think you need to make a decision ASAP to let guests know but if he’s in pain and uncomfortable you may want to really think about postponing. This is a decision that needs to be made together, but if he can’t travel for a few days he’s probably in a lot of pain and that won’t be a fun way to have your wedding.